“OK, Though Highly Overrated”
Review of Tranquil House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
Tranquil House Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed May 8, 2006

My father, sister, and I spent 3 days at the Tranquil House Inn a few years ago. And although it was all right, we've never gone back on our subsequent trips to the Outer Banks. My opinion is that they lure people to stay at the inn with flowery (and ultimately meaningless) phrases about their attentive and personalized service, which they quite fail to provide.

Room: Comfortable, clean, and quiet, with a great view of the Sound. However, it was on the third floor; and the inn, though built quite recently, did not have any elevators (at least, none accessible to the guests). So it was hard to get our suitcases up and down. It was also difficult for my father, who was in his eighties at the time.
Bath: OK, but it was only a shower bath -- no tub, which was a disappointment after an 8-hour drive, especially for a place that has no pool or hot tub in which to soak off the kinks of travel. Also, the water was far too hot for a commercial establishment; we managed OK, but it would have been very easy to sustain a bad scald from it. My father, an engineer, had to point out to the staff on two separate occasions that the water temperature far exceeded the maximum for a hotel, and that they could remedy that by a simple adjustment to their hot water heaters. Nothing was done about it, however.
Food: We had one meal at the inn's restaurant thie night we arrived; and although it was excellent, the restaurant served only dinner, not lunch -- no mention is made of this on their website or in the brochure they sent me when I made our reservation. Also, although we were staying in the off-season, and the inn wasn't crowded, and it was the middle of the week, neither the restaurant nor the inn staff made any attempt to accommodate us. We arrived early in the evening and were told that if we didn't dine immediately, they couldn't take us till after 9 p.m. So instead of being able to relax for a bit in our room and freshen up, we had to rush down to dinner. I would have thought that an inn that boasts so highly of its solicitous service would make an effort to seat inn guests in the restaurant whenever they arrive. Plus, there were only 3 in our party! And when we went in to dinner, the restaurant was hardly crowded -- there was plenty of room and tables. But the food was fine and I must admit that the water is the best I've ever tasted -- I'm not being facetious, it was like another beverage!
Service: Unhelpful and offhand. Just plain bad. The woman who was at the front desk for most or our stay was extremely officious, unresponsive, and brusque. Again, this in not acceptable at an establishment that claims to have such high standards of personalized service (and charges you for it). It was nothing of the sort -- more like, fend for yourself.
Miscellaneous: We never did find the area where the breakfast items were supposed to be, or the wine and cheese, either. Did they hide it in the middle of the hotel? It certainly wasn't near the desk or lobby.
Addendum: A year or two after our stay, I saw an interesting profile of the Tranquil House Inn on a travel show. I've seen many episodes of this show and the reviewers usually find some positives about the places they visit. The reviewer's tone about the Tranquil House was flat, distant, almost detached, giving just a few basic facts about the place -- location, age, etc. The review was very brief and showed the inn only from the outside. I guess the reviewer didn't like it, either.

• Stayed: October 2002
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed October 4, 2005

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Tranquil House Inn after Labor Day 2005. Overall, the Inn is very nice. It was a good location because Manteo is more laid back than the rest of the area--Outer Banks--Nags Head area. It is located on the waterfront so there are some nice views from the back deck of the Inn. However, we soon were tired of the lack of choice at the breakfasts and they ran out of food if you didn't get there early. Also, the wine and cheese reception included the cheapest wine and cheese possible. I would have thought that with the 1587 restaurant attached to the Inn, they could have served a minimially decent wine and cheese reception--not expensive, but at least something like a nice table Merlot or Chardonnay wine. In the long run, it was a good thing because we went to the local wine shop and bought some cheese and wine and went and had a happy hour on Cocquina beach and we wouldn't have done that otherwise..:-) With that said, the rooms were nice, private and quiet. We used the bikes and enjoyed exploring the shops nearby. Lots of good restaurants throughout the area that serve copious amounts of food were enjoyed.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank AlbuquerqueGAL
A TripAdvisor Member
Rock Hill sc 29732
Reviewed June 1, 2005

after having stayed in numerous B & B's my wife and I were very pleased to see the wildlife at breakfast and view the scenery from various locations.
The room we requested was just as the photo represented. The innkeeper, Peter was informative and very hospitable.

We would love to stay there again!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2005

What a beautiful bed and breakfast. The hotel is lovely and romantic. The room was clean, roomy, well appointed and comfortable. The front desk clerk, Sheryl, is very sweet and blessed us with her kindness. This inn is undoubtedly the best on this little island and perfectly locted in the heart of the quaint down town area. There are many little shops and places to eat within easy strolling distance. The breakfast in the morning on the deck is perfect...truly a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank justsunny
Reviewed April 24, 2005

We stayed over Easter Weekend for three nights - received a AAA discount, so be sure to ask!

Breakfast in the morning included fruit, pastries, sausage biscuits, instant oatmeal/grits, bagels, toast, coffee, tea, etc. An extended continental type breakfast if you will. Wine & cheese reception every evening was nice touch - in the afternoons - cidar was brewing and yummy cookies were put out.

We had the Suite right off the 2nd floor. The suite was nice, but I'd actually prefer a room on the third floor next time we go. The suite is directly adjacent to the area where breakfast/wine/snacks are served, so it's a little awkward privacy-wise, and people can be a little loud since they don't realize people are staying right on that floor. We asked to look at the King-rooms on the third floor - they were great - very big room, small bathroom was the only downside for those rooms.

Hotel's location is great - you can walk to several restaurants & shops in downtown Manteo, and also to the Riverfront Park area. We ate at Full Moon Cafe - the quesadillas were fabulous! The hotel has bicycles you can borrow at no charge, and we took advantage and biked over to the Weeping Radish restaurant about a mile away.

And, let me also point out the lovely Pioneer Theatre, also in walking distance - it shows 2nd to 3rd run films, $5 a person, but the popcorn and drinks are $1 a piece! It's charming - very, very old theater!

Manteo has FREE WI-FI thanks to Andy Griffith as well!

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank Jenni5791
Reviewed November 9, 2004

This is a fantastic place to stay at. You can’t ask for a better location. I stayed there in September 2004 and the weather was perfect. The inn is centrally located with easy access to everything.

I stayed in suite on the second floor which was beautiful. I had a great view of Manteo and the harbor. The down side of this was that it was on the second floor. The main porch/common area is also located on this floor and in the mornings/evenings when people were sitting on the porch they had a direct view of my living room. Sure I could close the blinds, but why would you want to with such a beautiful view? The bathroom could have been a tad bit cleaner for the price I was paying, but overall I didn’t have much to complain about in regards to the room. If you want a room with a view, ask for one on a different floor, although, keep in mind there’s no elevator and you’ll have to carry your bags upstairs (they may have a porter – I didn’t ask and they didn’t offer).

The inn serves a continental breakfast in the morning and wine and cheese in the evening along with fresh baked cookies (yummy!).

I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and attentive to my needs, although, I must admit that I’m not high maintenance and easy to please. I didn’t eat at the restaurant because it was a bit pricey for me, but the menu looked very good and it has been rated highly in various magazines.

• Stayed: September 2004
10  Thank NJdudette
Reviewed July 7, 2004

We have stayed at the Tranquil House Inn many times. We have never been disappointed. Maybe it's the fact that we love Manteo, and the Tranquil House is just icing on the cake. The setting is peaceful and quaint. The staff is always friendly and very helpful. The last couple of visits we have stayed in corner rooms on the street side of the inn, which could be considered noisy in any other city or town; but, it has been very quiet even in the middle of the summer. The rooms were bright and sunny, and very comfortable. It is so nice to take your morning coffee and sit on the deck overlooking Shallowbag Bay and the historic ship, the Elizabeth II, or just take a walk. If you stay at the Tranquil House, be sure to have at least one dinner at the restaurant, 1587. The food is fabulous.

• Stayed: May 2004
11  Thank shenburg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Oasis Suites Hotel
Oasis Suites Hotel
#2 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Tranquil House Inn? Share your experiences!