“Little Pricey- but beautiful, and probably nothing like it in this locality for many miles”

Elizabethan Gardens
Ranked #6 of 39 things to do in Manteo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fanciful and elaborate gardens were kept to entertain Queen Elizabeth I during her reign. Our garden was created for your enjoyment, and as a living memorial to the time when Sir Walter Raleigh’s lost colonists lived in this very place over 400 years ago. The Elizabethan Gardens is a project of the Garden Club of North Carolina. Located 15 minutes from Nags Head, North Carolina. Special features include: Italian renaissance statuary, water views, gift shop and plant sales, mobile phone audio tour. Plant collections include: native plants, azaleas, crape mrytles, hydrangeas, conifers and seasonal blooms. Our dapple-shaded paths and lush green Scape offer a tranquil retreat from the beach. We are pet friendly. Our walkways are handicap accessible.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I love flowers and respect good gardening talent. And I absolutely love the Victorian era. With that in mind, this garden was a real treat. The iPhone tour is a little handy once you finally get the 'hang' of it- no one on site can help you. No one there knew how to to instruct you on anything regarding it- so you just figure it out through trial and error - you eventually get it. Hint; ## puts the tour discussion on hold- use that! The flowers are beautiful and so MUCH variety in one place. The statute of Queen Elizabeth is gorgeous.y favorite spot is probably the gate overlooking the ocean- oh my goodness! What a lovely spot for wedding vows- and about 50 feet of hanging Confederate Jasmine from a pine tree. I have never seen anything like that. It was lovely and smelled wonderful. The rose garden was lacking- but that was the only spot that lagged. Worth our time- and I believe, if you love flowers and gardens, you will love this!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place is absolutely gorgeous! Talking with the staff, they told us that some people don't think it is worth the admission cost ($9.00 for adults), but I beg to differ. This is a place to go if you want to admire all that mother nature has to offer. It is serene, peaceful, beautiful. It settled my soul and set my mind at peace. If you are a photographer, this is one of the most picturesque places that I have ever been. But don't take my word for it, if you are in that area, stop in and check it out, but only if you love all the beauty that mother nature has to offer.

1  Thank genugem
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stopped and went into the gift shop. I was looking forward to going in, but looking out the gift shop windows into the gardens didn't reveal anything really exceptional to me. Didn't look worth $9 . I come from an area with lots of flower gardens, so it's just a matter of your frame of reference. The gate and fence were nice.

1  Thank RhondaKB
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Picturesque, some really beautiful arrangements and gardens, also views of the sound and some wonderful glimses of the wildlife.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We'd heard about Elizabethan Gardens from a TV show that veriied the authenticity of their portrait of Queen Elizabeth 1. The pix is now in DC but the wide variety of plants and trees were there to provide us with a peaceful and plant-full afternoon.
We enjoyed the mix of shade loving plants, lovely big trees, and a small but choice garden and plant shop. Thanks to EG, we will have chocolate and orange mint in our garden plus a few other interesting things. Worth a visit if gardens are your thing!