“Still the Best Fried Chicken”

Marconi Beach Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 48 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I'm wondering why I am not seeing more recent reviews of this restaurant, and perhaps because the correct name is "Russ & Marie's Marconi Beach BBQ and Seafood Restaurant". Even though this establishment is a bit of a drive from where we stay when on the Cape, everyone in our party feels the excellent fried chicken is worth the drive. The barbecue baked beans are amazing as well. The coleslaw, potato salad and smashed potatoes were all very good. The only less-than-successful side dish was the mac and cheese. It was dry and grainy instead of rich and creamy. But overall a wonderful dinner.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We had a take out meal as were running late on our way back from the beach. We had various combo meals, all good and tasty, with a lot of food for your money. I didn't like the sweet potato, but that's just my personal taste.

There aren't many BBQ places on the Cape, so It gets 4 stars as it's reasonably good BBQ food. So, if you want BBQ on the Cape, this is the place. And the smokey smell is very enticing.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

At the recommendation of permanent Cape Cod residents, we ate there for lunch. The delicious smells from the smoker strategically situated in front made our mouths water as soon as we exited the car. The restaurant was not crowded at the odd hour, although when we passed by later, the place was packed. Our service was excellent, and the food was fantastic! The ribs, so tender they fell off the bone, were delicious. One of the day's specials, clam balls, were packed with clams and nicely complemented by the remoulade sauce. The portions were very large, but there wasn't a morsel left. As an indicator of how much we enjoyed it, we probably would have stopped there for dinner when we drove by later, if there had been a parking space available.

1  Thank SisBoston
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Caught a whif of the smoker while driving to the beach in the am. Knew it would be a 'must stop' on the way home from the beach. So glad we did. Outstanding pulled pork mac and cheese, pulled chix sandwich, buffalo chix mac and cheese had the appropriate amount of hots to give a runny nose. Ample menu, bar menu, very pleasant waitstaff, casual atmosphere. Would definitely go back.

1  Thank travelgirl41643
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Heading back from Provincetown, I noticed this BBQ place, Russ and Marie's. It was packed and it looked intriguing for sure. The decor is endearing, as it has been a part of Marconi Beach community for quite some time now. The decor is reminiscent of the early 1980's cottage style setting with plenty of maritime art, maps and kitsch all over the restaurant. For the most part, the food was pretty solid. The ribs were smoky delicious, the coleslaw had a nice tang to it, the mashed potatoes were creamy and nice. Unfortunately, the beans were pretty good as well until one of the last bites included a chunk of tin foil. I understand mistakes happen, but when the waitress was told she had a very blasé attitude towards it. "Oh that stuff happens, it's too bad about that". I had to reiterate three times that I bit the darn tinfoil and that she should let the cook staff know to be more careful before she finally apologized. The lack of genuine concern frustrated me. It's too bad because Russ's and Marie's otherwise seemed like a good family restaurant. The owner walked around with a giant six pound lobster, wore it like a neck tie and let kids take a picture with the soon to be dinner. However, the lasting impression I have of this family place is that lack of concern because if a young child had swallowed that tin foil, it could be more serious. I just wish more concern could have been displayed. I would recommend the food, but the service needs a tune-up at Russ and Marie's!

1  Thank tdsuperstar