“Good food, pricey, loud.”
Review of Winslow's Tavern

Winslow's Tavern
Ranked #6 of 48 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A dining experience at Winslow's begins with a warm greeting from Tracey Barry Hunt, the General Manager who oversees "the front of the house." A former documentary television producer and director, Tracey loves speaking with guests and sharing local knowledge about her favorite spots on the Cape. Winslow's menu and wine list are created by South African born Chef, Phillip Hunt, Tracey's husband. Phillip is always happy to share his passion and vast knowledge of wine with guests interested in recommendations and food pairings. On any given day Tracey and Phillip's two young sons, Hunter and Romanee (our grill and saute cooks for the 2020 season!) may also make an appearance at Winslow's to pick some herbs for Dad or entertain the staff and guests with Mom.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stopped at Winslow's on the evening after Wellfleet's Oyster Fest. The staff was frazzled after a long day, but accommodating and kind. The food was expensive but very good ($10 glass of wine). I love kids, but the spartan atmosphere did nothing to muffle the sound of fussy children. I know they have outdoor seating, that would probably be a better option for my kids if I went with them. The clam chowder was traditional and delicious. The Caesar salad was a work of art, even if over-dressed. (Check out my photo - sorry it's so dark. The salad was beautiful and delicious.) TAKE AWAY: good food, pricey, loud.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Winslow's is one of our favorite restaurants on the Cape. The food is excellent and the staff is friendly and accommodating. Tracy, the owner, tries very hard to make sure patrons are happy.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the second year in a row that we got to dine at this restaurant, and Winslow's has not disappointed. We sat outside on their front patio, which is located to the left of the front walkway. The gardens that are intertwined with the patio, makes for nice romantic setting. There is also a rear patio area that is just as nice with a trellis decorated with white lights. The restaurant has a casual feel (shorts with a collared shirt are the norm in the summer). The main restaurant is in a federal style colonial, which is just as nice as the patio areas. The restaurant also has tavern on the second floor that features nice exposed beams and tasteful nautical motif (More about the tavern later).

The service has always been friendly and on point and this evening was no different. Our waitress gave us the right amount of time to look over their menu and wine list. The wine list was reasonable, with a fair amount of options for wine by the glass or bottle. The restaurant also has some of the Cape Cod Brewery beers on tap along the usual suspects in regards to domestic and imported beers.

My wife and I ordered a glass of wine and along with a cup of clam chowder for her and 6 Wellfleet Oysters for me. The chowder was very good which included roasted corn in the recipe that added another dimension to the flavor. As for the oysters, Ipswich is to clams as Wellfleet is to oysters…They are well known for them and for good reason. They were presented on top of ice on a nice pewter platter and they were tasty. I have found Wellfleet oysters to always be ample with a sweet briny taste of the sea in each one.

For dinner my wife and I got the same entree (so we'd avoid entre envy), seared scallops, shrimp and mussels, severed over angel hair pasta in a white wine sauce. My wife does not like mussels, so she asked for more shrimp instead. Both of our entrées were cooked just right. My wife's request for the shrimp was satisfied and we enjoyed both of our meals. The entrées were sautéed in a white wine & garlic broth. The remaining sauce was so good that I had to ask for more bread to soak it up...ill mannered or not...you don't let a good thing go to waste! The dinners are good portions, but not over the top to the point you need to bring some home. You will not go home hungry. This is especially nice since we were on vacation like most people down here (in the summer) and we did not want to deal with leftovers.

We then shared a piece of Tiramisu that was a delicious ending. The tiramisu was fresh with a good taste, but not over powering. You were able to enjoy each layer of flavor. We then went upstairs to the tavern for an after dinner drink. As I mentioned before the tavern is decorated appropriately with nautical decorations. There are also a few black & white photos that adorn the walls, paying homage to the Wellfleet of the past. The bar staff has always been welcoming and friendly. My only knock on the tavern was that they changed their tables to a metal restaurant style compared to the wooden tables that they once had. The wooden tables matched the exposed beams and nautical decorations much better. They used to offer a bar menu only, but now the restaurant offers a full menu in the tavern…perhaps this is why they made the change in tables.

Overall, I highly recommend Winslow’s whether it is in the summer or the winter. After enjoying the nice ambience, great food and drink, you will walk away with a soul that is happy and content.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have only been to Winslow's for lunch a few times when in Wellfleet. I do recommend it. Good food, fine atmosphere and clean. Give it a try if in the area. Nice outdoor seating too.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Food was very good. I had clam chowder and a caesar salad. Pretty expensive, but worth it, and very nice patio out front, under the trees. The town location is also nice, since you can walk all around Wellfleet before or after you eat.