“Down to earth seafood on Wellfleet Harbor”

Mac’s On the Pier
Ranked #13 of 49 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Order at the window. Send the kids to scout a table on the sand. This is the place for a plate of fried clams with a slow summer sunset on the side. Steamers with broth and drawn butter, a lobster roll, a fried fish sandwich, onion rings--they're Cape Cod classics for a reason. There may be nothing better. But here's satisfaction for those who might crave something else: grilled tuna with summer vegetables and ponzu, a scallop burrito, fish tacos, Caribbean fish stew. And ICE CREAM, of course: sundaes and frappes, soft-serve and scooped - served every night until 9:30 pm. Our honest-to-goodness clam shack. Right on Wellfleet harbor, next to our original fish market.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had dinner at Mac's after trying to get in during the summer season and being discouraged by the long wait. It was worth it - I had the Poke salad over sushi rice which reminded me of a similar exceptionally good meal I had on Kauai. The tuna was fresh and the onions and garnish flavorful without being overpowering. My wife had the hake with lobster/garlic mashed potatoes with lobster broth. The hake was good but the garlic mashed potatoes with lobster chunks mixed in was compelling! My wife also had an oyster shot which she liked immensely. About the only "downer" was the sauteed calamari which was only average. The decor was simple and typical of a seafood restaurant - simple wooden chairs and no tablecloths. Again, the food is worth it. Isaac was our server and in a 3/4 restaurant service was prompt and attentive. we'll go back to Mac's.

1  Thank Nomad0921

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The clam chowder was disappointing -thin flavorless broth and a very low ratio of clams to potatoes. I did enjoy my fried clam roll - the roll was good, the clams tasty and tender, and breading was relatively light and not greasy at all; but considering this place only has counter service and rather crude picnic tables I was expecting a bit better quality for the price.
The view of the working harbor with fishing boats and pleasure craft passing is fun. This place could be a bit more fun with a beer and wine license.

1  Thank RCEWP56
Reviewed September 24, 2012

While in Wellfleet, we decided to order lobster to take to our cottage. We ordered a 3 lb lobster, had it cooked and ready for take out. The service was great, the lobster was perfect and we would highly recommend Mac's.

1  Thank Krpalmieri
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Enjoyed raw oysters from Mac's Seafood at the Truro Vineyards Jazz Fest. Wonderful with the Vignoles!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you like sitting outside at a picnic table next to the ocean, you will LOVE the ambiance. It doesn't get much better than this! And the clam chowder is REAL clam chowder with a fresh clam broth base - possibly the best on the Cape if you like the original thin broth brew. UNBELIEVABLY pricey fish sandwiches: a bun w/lettuce and tomato is $11.99 (no sides)!!!!! The chicken salad and clam chowder were more reasonable, but there are no refills on soda..Awful onion rings. The steamed vegetables plate looked great as did the kale soup. If I had to choose between this and Sesuit Habor Cafe for best fare with outside seating I would pick Sesuit - better food with more reasonable prices. And they bring the food to you - no "window" pickup service. Bottom line: Mac's is and always has been over-rated.