“Best Chowda!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Newport News, Virginia
“Best Chowda!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Hands down, PJ's has the best clam chowder I've ever had. I've been going to the Cape for over 20 years, and usually stay in Orleans, but always make the trip up to Wellfleet to enjoy the best clam chowder ever! In the past, I've had other food items too, sandwiches, etc., but the reason we keep going back is the Chowda! It's the perfect thickness and seasoning, all natural with no thickeners added, and is wonderfully fresh and chock full of clams. Even before I acquired a taste for clams as a child, I liked the chowder, and now, I delight in the abundant clams. If you're a chowder fan, splurge and go for at least a bowl of this goodness. A little cup simply won't do!

• Visited September 2013

Fairfax, Virginia
“Tasty swordfish”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This place is deceptive because it usually looks like there will be a long wait because of the long line and a nearly full parking lot.. In fact, things move along quickly, especially if you sit inside in what is essentially a huge screened porch. The line to get in is much less a barrier than it first appears. It's a great setting for eating at the beach. We both had the swordfish sandwich in this our first visit to PJ's. The taste was mavelous; it would have been great as a dinner entree - the portion was so large. We also had kale soup, something which I recommend highly.

All in all, an excellent place for casual dining though it's a long drive from the mid-Cape.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Great soft ice cream, terrific fried clams, etc.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

P.J.'s is the kind of place you might have seen in a lot of parts of the country years ago, but which has vanished from many of them. A very casual, family-oriented place where you go to a counter and order food and they call your number and you pick it up. There is usually a separate line for ice cream. I suspect there are many good offerings, but I can't resist the fried seafood and the soft ice cream. Great stuff, and perfect for a family (although the seating is limited and gets tight).

• Visited August 2013
“3 out of 4 satisfied”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

we had dinner with some friends recently and while the service was prompt and friendly, the food was not to the standard we had come to expect. maybe it was just my meal as the other 3 diners had swordfish which they all said was very good. my veal came out very rare instead of medium rare as requested. I should have sent it back but did not. it was a very small portion so I didn't miss much. and I never got the ceasar salad I ordered (it was taken off the bill) so 3 diners were satisfied and one was not. guess that's not too bad a score.

Visited August 2013
“Amazing Lobster Rolls”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We ordered
- 2 lobster rolls
- gazpacho
- linguica roll
- garden salad

One thing we did that we are so proud of ourselves for was calling in an order 20 min before arriving there. The line was looong!

The lobster rolls were amazing! One of the best. The roll (slathered with butter) really brought out the flavor of the lobster!

The gazpacho was good, nothing fancy or special. Same goes for the salad

The linguica roll was intimidating at first because it is literally a large piece of meet in a hot dog bun. BUT, it was very tasty.

I would definitely go back and definitely call in our order.

• Visited July 2013