“Moby Dick's...Southern hospitality in Wellfleet!”
Review of Moby Dick's

Moby Dick's
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Closed for the winter. See you May 2017 When we first opened Moby Dick’s in ‘83, we had no idea we’d become an establishment on Cape Cod. We simply wanted to start a BYOB restaurant that had fresh seafood, a relaxed environment, and a friendly staff that would make people feel at home. Well, three decades later, we’re still doing exactly that, opening every season in May to the delight of locals and visitors alike. Some people stop in for our lobster rolls while others come for an old-fashioned bucket of steamers. But everyone knows they can come to us for fresh family fun and a dining experience in Wellfleet they'll never forget.
Reviewed June 13, 2010

6 of us were out exploring Wellfleet and we stopped by Moby Dick's for a quick lunch. Our expectations were low and we were pleasantly surprised to find a very friendly staff (A bunch of smiling kids) and a very friendly owner, Migion a.k.a. "Mrs Moby". The atmosphere was relaxed, the food was good and a great value. We were there during Wellfleet's Restaurant Week and Moby's was participating and had great specials. I had a "Lobsta" roll that was chuck full of lobster. I also had the "Chowda" which had as many clambs as potatoes which we found to be unusual during our stay at the cape. Finally, we decided to invest our last dinner at the cape at Moby's. We brought several bottles of wine (They are a BYOB restaurant) and enjoyed a very nice dinner. If you can get past ordering at the counter when you come in you will find a very pleasurable experience. Our only disappointment was that they no longer serve the blueberry crisp....just a hint...the apple crisp isn't too shabby!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed June 8, 2010

From the moment you walk in until you leave feeling fully satisfied there is nothing to not love about this place. The food is fantastic, the atmosphere casual but fun and the owners are awesome. The cod, scallops, and lobster are mouth-watering. Check out all the pics of customers with Moby Dick shirts and hats all over the world.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

I thought Moby Dick's was so-so quality but very poor value. I'm from New England so maybe I'm spoiled by places like Woodman's and the ClaimBox in Ipswich, MA and Markey's and Brown's in Salisbury, NH but I was very disappointed with Moby Dick's. I suspect they stay in business because of unsuspecting tourists and not because of repeat business. I know that sounds harsh but here's my experience: I stopped in for lunch while visiting the Cape. I ordered a bowl of fish chowder, a fish sandwich, and a small tonic. Although the fish sandwich was good, I left here thinking "I should have ordered two, they were so small". The fish chowder was more like cream of potato soup with fish flavoring. There were potato cubes in a cream broth but it wasn't easy finding fish in the chowder. Honestly, I find more fish in Snow's canned chowder. Finally, maybe I was just tired but I didn't like at all the way they operate. Every fish place in New England works the same way. You place your order, they call your number, and you pick up an enormous platter of seafood with fries and / or onion rings. At Moby Dick's, you sit down and a 'waitress' brings your order to you. Oh, and you're expected to leave a tip on the table for this service. And then there is the tip jar on the counter. I'm guessing this is to tip them for taking your order? I see this as a business looking for any means possible to separate as much cash as possible from a tourist's wallet. All totalled, my lunch was roughly $9.00 for a bowl of cream with potato cubes. Around $9.00 for a small sandwich (no fries, no pickle, no chips). $1.79 for a small coke which had to be less than 10 oz (no free refills). Plus tip(s) and you're out over $20.00 for lunch. A very nice piece of fish but I just didn't see the value.

10  Thank Joe S
squirtdog, Owner at Moby Dick's, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

Moby Dick’s number one goal is to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience. Our many customers that visit us again and again expect to see my husband and I roaming the dining rooms to make sure that happens. So when we receive a review where our guest is displeased, we take it very seriously.
Our fish sandwich is one of our best selling lunch items. We serve day-boat hooked cod that comes into Chatham every evening. We get it delivered in the morning and slice it up around 10 am to serve for the day. We cut a 5 ounce portion for our sandwich. If we notice a sandwich being served where the portion doesn’t look right, we will cook another serving of cod to add to it.
As to the fish chowder, I can only guess that you might be referring to our New England Clam Chowder as we do not serve a fish chowder. Our staff is trained to stir the soup well before serving so that all the ingredients are mixed well and will be scooped up for the serving. If this didn’t happen, please notify someone right away and we will reserve your soup.
My husband always says, “Moby’s doesn’t give full service, we just give great service.” We like to make our restaurant more personal so we do deliver the food to the table. Our staff are trained to pay attention to the customer’s needs whether it is to refill their drinks, get another tartar sauce, or maybe even give directions to their favorite beach. I apologize that no one noticed that your drink needed refilling. Please do not hesitate to ask.
I have many customers stop and ask me about leaving tips. Because we don’t assign tables and everyone works together as a team, the tips are pooled and split among all of the staff. The tip jars are an easy way for our guests to leave a tip on the way out the door if they so wish. The tip jar reads, “If you think we did a good job, tips are appreciate.” Our Moby staff works very hard to keep the place clean and our guests happy. While they certainly appreciate tips as anyone would, they don’t necessarily expect tips. Because of the way we operate, the wait staff in the dining rooms has no idea what anyone’s bill was to make a “judgment” about the amount of a tip that may have been left or whether one was left at all.
Thank you for your review. Mignon & Todd Barry

Reviewed May 12, 2010

When I walked in...I was greeted by a charming woman, and a british chippie. I took some time to review the menu, and they were great about helping us pick out what would work for us. I ordered the clambake. A 1.5 lb lobster and instead of regular clams...I got lil steamers. Loved them! thanks to Mignon for her suggestion of the substitution. My mom and aunt both ordered the seafood special. If this is your first chance ordering a full lobster? THIS! is the place to do it. From bib, to towels, to even a sink around the corner i used, with no one batting an eyelash, I felt as comfortable as I would have been if at home. Messiness is something you have to be prepared for, and being self conscious will ruin your experience of the best lobster meat you've ever tasted. The sweet succulent meat in those claws, tail, and everywhere were pure bliss as I dipped them in the melted butter. The lil steamer clams were kinda gone within a blink of an eye. They also? help tell you to rinse off the sand, and how to crack the lobster, and offer great advice. It was like going home yet it was our first time. We raved about it, and still are, to anyone we meet. I would've loved to have gone back to Moby's and if I am ever lucky enough to be on the cape again? I will for sure! be dining there. I'd like to see a wine list Mignon suggests with each meal/seafood. She is spot on when it comes to picking things for a palette. Love these people and this place like family. Happy full tummies, and smiles, were all that we left with.....a small sadness our experience was over.

Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stopped in for lunch on the opening day of the season. I had a broiled Cod sandwich and it turned out to be one of the best meals I had all week. Fresh and amazing! The place was spotless and the owner stopped over to ask us how we liked our meal and chatted for awhile. Casual atmosphere with picnic tables on a screened in porch. There is another dining room, but we chose the porch due to the nice weather. The gift shop next to the restaurant is worth a visit. Great parking and very easy to find. We will be back next year.