“Good Seafood on the Cape”
Review of Moby Dick's

Moby Dick's
Ranked #2 of 48 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Closed for the winter. See you May 2017 When we first opened Moby Dick’s in ‘83, we had no idea we’d become an establishment on Cape Cod. We simply wanted to start a BYOB restaurant that had fresh seafood, a relaxed environment, and a friendly staff that would make people feel at home. Well, three decades later, we’re still doing exactly that, opening every season in May to the delight of locals and visitors alike. Some people stop in for our lobster rolls while others come for an old-fashioned bucket of steamers. But everyone knows they can come to us for fresh family fun and a dining experience in Wellfleet they'll never forget.
Dandridge, Tennessee
“Good Seafood on the Cape”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My fiance and I recently spent a week in Plymouth, and decided one afternoon to drive out to Provincetown and back, to see the Cape. On our drive, we looked up multiple restaurants to try, but when we passed by Moby Dick's and saw packed parking lot, we pulled a u-turn and went back for dinner.

The wait was out the door, but moved quickly. You place your order up front, then are seated and served. I ordered clam chowder and a lobster roll, my fiance ordered clam chowder and the fish and chips, I believe the fish was cod. Everything was excellent, though it was a little slow in arriving. I don't think we sat in their best dining area, ours was in the back and there wasn't a view to speak of.

On the whole, this was a good restaurant experience with great food, and I imagine it's a favorite on Cape Cod.

• Korean first
Towson, Maryland, United States
“Moby Dick's is a Whale of a Restaurant!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I come to Cape Cod for vacation and to relax, and the perfect setting for meals is Moby Dick's. There is the informal side, in the "UP" room, that is a large, open room with windows on all sides and an informal nautical air. There is the more formal side in the other rooms, that still have the nautical air, but in a more intimate setting of tables. The food is the best part! Delicious Cape Cod seafood, broiled or fried. Plus a good choice of alternatives for family members who don't want seafood. My favorite is the fried clams that are crispy on the outside and tender and flavorful. My wife's favorite is broiled scallops. You order when you come into the restaurant, and then chose where to sit. The wait staff is wonderful. They delivered a cup of clam chowder to my table before I had even sat down! The young staff is very friendly, and they are joined by the owners who are always in the restaurant, making sure that everything is running smoothly. Friendly wait staff and delicious food make this the embodiment of the happy Cape Cod experience!

• Visited October 2013
Portland, Maine
“Consistently Good Seafood”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've visited this establishment a half dozen or more times over the past 10 years. They're conveniently located right on Route 6, on the way to Provincetown. Orders are placed at the counter and 20-somethings from Eastern Europe bring your food out when it is ready. During the past two visits, the owner makes her rounds through the dining room, helping with busing tables but also checking on how satisfied the guests are. I quite appreciate that added touch. My sister and I shared a fried clam dinner (with fries, slaw and half corn-on-the-cob), and an order of Wellfleet fried oysters- which I had waited all year for.

The full-bellied clams were excellent, and the oysters were simply superb melt-in-your-mouth. Perhaps the best I've ever had. I don't care for cold slaw so I can't speak about that, and the corn seemed okay. Their French fries are just average, but are not the worst I've ever had. But truly- you can't beat the seafood, even at these fairly hefty prices.

What I DID notice on this trip was that there were many "little things" that got missed: requests for this and that. Fortunately, the wait staff were quite responsive and didn't at all seem to mind making many trips back and forth from the kitchen in order to accommodate our requests.

Overall, this is a very good seafood dining experience. We were quite ready for it after our day-long hike on nearby Great Island. I will surely come back again.

boston, ma
“Great Cape Cod restaurant”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I brought a group of people here this past weekend after we had scattered the ashes of a dear friend at the National Seashore. I called ahead to make sure they could accommodate us, and they were friendly and helpful.
When we arrived they had a big table ready for us, and were very accommodating to our needs as a big party. Everyone in my party enjoyed a great seafood lunch. We particularly enjoyed the Wellfleet oysters, both on the half shell and fried! Also great were the calamari, lobster roll, and fish and chips.
It turned out to be the perfect setting for our group, and we enjoyed a nice meal as we reminisced over stories from long ago. We were very relaxed and were able to linger before everyone had to go their separate ways. What a great find. Many in our party can't wait to get back there.

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent restaurant for any occasion”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have been going to Moby Dick's my entire life (26 years) and it is honestly one of the highlights of my summer. My friends and family love the casual feel and actually enjoy waiting outside talking to each other in line. Since it is BYOB you are welcome to enjoy drinks while waiting to be seated which is nice considering other restaurants have long lines and often no place enjoyable to wait until you are seated.
The staff is incredibly friendly, helpful, and unique! They travel from many places in the world to work for the summer at Moby's and are always willing to share their stories. The owners are a constant presence at the restaurant and can be seen helping bring food, cleaning tables, and talking with guests. You can really see the pride they take in their restaurant.
As for the food: I have tasted clam chowder all over the Cape and their's is by far my favorite. The prices for seafood match other local restaurants and everything is delicious- the burgers and salads are amazing if you are not interested in seafood.
Basically, Moby's is a great place to enjoy the company of others and a great meal!

• Visited August 2013