“Best choice for fresh local lobster and great service”
Review of Moby Dick's

Moby Dick's
Ranked #2 of 48 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Closed for the winter. See you May 2017 When we first opened Moby Dick’s in ‘83, we had no idea we’d become an establishment on Cape Cod. We simply wanted to start a BYOB restaurant that had fresh seafood, a relaxed environment, and a friendly staff that would make people feel at home. Well, three decades later, we’re still doing exactly that, opening every season in May to the delight of locals and visitors alike. Some people stop in for our lobster rolls while others come for an old-fashioned bucket of steamers. But everyone knows they can come to us for fresh family fun and a dining experience in Wellfleet they'll never forget.
Buffalo, New York
“Best choice for fresh local lobster and great service”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Moby Dick's is my destination of choice for fresh local lobster when we visit Wellfleet. Last night I ordered the "optimum" size (per the restaurant's menu) - 1 and 1/2 pounds. It was served with a piece of corn on the cob, which I passed off to another member of the family; my focus was the lobster. As is always the case, I finished my meal a good 1/2 hour after everyone else in my party (and they were all very patient); I like to enjoy my lobster slowly and luxuriously, systematically section by section. And as always, it was an outstanding dining experience. Moby's owner, as on previous visits, makes the rounds and talks with all his guests. His enthusiasm for happy customers and a quality dining experience is genuine, and appreciated.

NOTE: Generally, it's a good idea to get here before 6 if you don't like waiting in line. The wait can be 45 minutes to an hour before getting to the front desk to place your order. Having said that, even waiting in line at Moby's is a pleasant experience. Restaurant staff often bring slices of watermelon to those who are waiting, and if you've brought a bottle of wine (there's no wine, liquor, or beer served here) they will bring you a bucket with ice and plastic cups. It's fun just perusing the menu; if lobster isn't your first choice, there are MANY other options, both broiled and fried, and all excellent.

If the above summary doesn't make it apparent: Moby Dick's is one of my favorites!

• Korean first
New York
“Best Seafood (and owner) on Cape Cod!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We planned a last minute trip to visit Cape Cod.
After doing some research, we settled on this highly acclaimed restaurant ans wanted to try it for the first time.
We called to make a reservation, and were told that they don't take any, The owner happened to answer the phone and we chatted for a few. He told us to stop by and say hello when we got there.
We arrived to a very packed parking lot and knew we were in for a treat.
Before we sat down, we went over and said hello to Todd the owner. He remembered us, and stopped by and even took our order and checked in on us multiple times during the meal. This was a very busy Friday night, and he did not have to do that, but he did which we found very impressive. It seems that as everyone leaves, they go over to him and thank him for a wonderful meal. Everyone seemed like a repeat customer, if not family, in the restaurant. It had that warm, intimate feel to it.
We had lobster, shrimp, and scallops. All cooked to perfection and served by the friendliest staff. Even the vegetables were cooked well, and you could really taste how fresh everything was.
There is no liquor license, so bring your own and they even chill your wine for you.
This is the best meal we ever had on the Cape, I wish he was closer than the 4 hour plus drive from NY.
Already excited about going back, and don't forget to visit Winslow's Tavern in downtown Wellfleet which is run by Todd's sister Tracey.

1 Thank Gocanes4
Ny
“Delicious and friendly”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My first visit to this restaurant after passing it by for years.
My mistake! Food was great, service excellent and everyone was friendly and seemed genuine. I returned for lunch with my bestfriend and had a lobster dinner, it was great. We brought a cooler with a couple beers, and they supply the cups as they do not serve alcohol. Can't wait for my return in August!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Ycoley
Melrose, Massachusetts
“Worth the wait..”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were looking for a nice place to eat dinner and noticed this place was highly recommended by the locals so we decided to try it. At first we were a bit intimidated by having to wait in such a long line but surprisingly it didn't take too long. We met some nice people while waiting in line where you can BYOB or wine. I ordered the clam chowder which was so fresh and yummy that I almost ran out of room for the baked cod which was also very delicious!

1 Thank Angelpetra
san miguel de allende
“Classic New England Seafood”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

A classic New England seafood joint, simple, clean and friendly, that delivers the goods in a comfortable but no frills setting. Sweet fresh lobster cooked perfectly. Traditional sides corn on the cob, coleslaw, fried or baked potato as they ought to be. Plump creamy steamers without a grain of sand were the best I've had in decades. Although one orders at the counter, food is brought to the table. Service was remarkable, a crew of young UK professionals doing an educational turn in the US were attentive and charming. The whole experience brought back the shore dinners and clambakes of my youth, unpretentious simple food that speaks volumes about freshness. I can't wait to go back and try the lobster roll.

• Visited June 2013