“The best of Cape Cod”

Van Rensselaer's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 46 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Milford, Connecticut
“The best of Cape Cod”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

If you love fresh Wellfleet oysters this is your place. If you've never had a good oyster and are willing to try them, this is your place. My personally I am allergic to shellfish and this place is still my place. We go there every time we go to Cape Cod and the meals are always excellent. I usually get a prime rib or some kind of chicken and have tried numerous items on their menu and have never been disappointed. The food quality for the price is great. The only thing is that if you are going on a Friday or the weekend, YOU MUST make a reservation because you will be waiting for most of the night. Plan accordingly and you enjoy your meal!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Christina C

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A+ breakfast”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This place is awesome. My family and I have been vacationing on the Cape for 10+ years and we always try to eat breakfast here one day. Actually, we've only ever eaten here for breakfast. But, the breakfast is to die for. Its a big restaurant; we almost never have to wait for a table. Big breakfast buffet with a whole assortment: pancakes waffles pastries bacon eggs sausage eggs benedict breakfast biscuits steak fruit yogurt cereal...the list goes on and on. They wait staff always seem friendly and attentive, though we have never experienced actually being waited on because we usually do the buffet. I would definitely recommend this place!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank rebecca m
Toronto, Canada
“VR's”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We go to Cape Cod every year. This is our favourite restaurant. The owners are very welcoming and the service is always excellent!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kathy M
Massachusetts
“Worst service of my life”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am not one to give poor reviews but this was the worst service I have ever experienced. We (my husband and son and nephew) took our friends here for dinner on our vacation and instantly regretted it. We waited over an hour for a table for 6 (we were told it would be 30 min). People in groups that came after us were seated before us and when I finally checked it looked to me like they had crossed us out in error. When they seated us we waited half an hour and no one came to take a drink order. When one of our friends went to say something we were told by our waitress that she had never been told we were her table. She, however, wasn't much better once she knew we were. We never got bread. It took forever for her to take our order and then she made mistakes on two of the meals. We were then told they were out of one of the meals 20 minutes after the order was placed. When we finally got the food it was good but the night was ruined long before that. We were there for 3 hours....we felt very bad we dragged our friends to this nightmare : (

• Visited July 2012
6 Thank whiterhino42
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Excellent food, great wines, superb artwork and warm service”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Everything we ordered was really well prepared, tasted superb, and was elegantly presented. A magnificent range of seafood choices ... and great lamb; also especially good wines - unusually interesting and cost less than you'd expect for the fine quality. Nice paintings surround you - impressions of nearby scenery, priced so you can leave with a unique memento as you support local artists.

We went on the last day of the season (10/28/12), expecting some menu items not to be available. No worries - still a full menu! Owners Diane and Peter made a point of checking in with everyone to make sure they were having a great dining experience.

• Visited October 2012