“very good food but several problems”

PB Boulangerie Bistro
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Wellfleet
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: PB Boulangerie Bistro is an award-winning Zagat-Rated French Bakery, Pastry Shop, and Bistro. Our Chefs use traditional European techniques to create specialty hand-crafted products, and the finest French cuisine with only the best natural ingredients. A taste of France on Cape Cod!
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The quality of the food at this bisro is significantly diminished by many problems. The food is good,although a bit pricey. The squash soup ($10) was delicious. The chicken entree ($28) was described as being served with green beans (I envisioned haricot verts) and sauteed mushrooms but was delivered with a small sprinkling of wrinkled peas and 3 tiny mushrooms. We are unlikely to return soon because of several problems. The hostess clearly was much friendlier to those who were regular customers than to infrequent visitors. Service was incredibly slow. We waited 10 minutes for our table and 30 minutes before we were served bread (this on a Wednesday night in late September). The waiter brought me a glass of white wine (although I had specifically pointed out to him on the menu the glass of red wine I wanted). One member of the couple next to us dropped a napkin. The hostess picked it up from the floor and returned it to the diner rather than getting a clean napkin.The noise level was uncomfortable at the beginning of the meal and intolerable by the end. Tables for 2 are tightly packed in.

1  Thank 770Greg

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Top notch French cuisine makes this restaurant well worth a visit. However, service and ambiance are a step behind the quality of the food. With improvement in these two areas this restaurant could be excellent. Do not go if time is an issue as service can be quite slow. All in all, recommended.

5  Thank eeny2
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went to PB's for dinner with my parents and some family friends. Everyone was friendly and portions were large! We ordered escargot and pate to start. Then our server brought all five of us delicious soup, compliments of the chef! After our entrees (which were all generous portions), we ordered one dessert. They brought us out five, compliments of the chef! We felt like celebrities. Needless to say we were happy and stuffed. We were so pleased we stopped back almost every morning for breakfast. They have every pastry imaginable. croque monsieur is yummy, but must be deadly. We are sure to come back.

4  Thank myoriginalsn76
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Last night I had another wonderful meal at PB. Haven't been there for a year and was not sure what to expect. The meal began with champagne and a complimentary cup of squash soup. I was sure it had been infused with a rich veal stock but was told it only had vegetables as a base - superb!! Then after some sensational raw Wellfleet shellfish we shared perfectly seared fois gras served with apple tartin. The last time I had fois gras was at the Four Seasons Restaurant in New York City, and this was better! Then I had perfectly cooked lemon risotto with petis pois, and my friend had octopus. The risotto at PB is consistently the best I have had, and I have made this dish many times at home. We finished with a sort of egg white snow a top notch crème brulee. Throughout the meal the Manager William and the Chef Philippe made everyone feel at home with their gracious and attentive service. A superb evening!

3  Thank ChampainJane
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have friends that eat here regularly. We went and we loved it. We did mornings and it was just wonderful. Quiche Lorraine by the slice to go was great, ate it while we drove. Croque Monsieur was just darn good and the breads were wonderful. The blueberry pastry was great. The French Man behind the counter was and expert in customer service. To me a line means a great place. If you can't wait a minute for quality then go to McD's.
We will be sure to have dinner next time.
Great job folks.