“Disappointing and aging”

The Wagner at Duck Creek
Ranked #3 of 10 Wellfleet B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2006

We stayed at the Inn at Duck Creeke for 3 nights in August 05. We were lucky to get adjoining rooms for the 4 of us, and the beds were comfy. But the whole place is looking tired around the edges. The bathroom wasn't as clean as it should have been, but as we were a family it wasn't terrible. If I had been sharing the bathroom with strangers in the next room, it would have really bothered me. There was no A/C, and as the Inn is on a main road, it was a little noisy with the windows open. The breakfast was laughable, and has earned the dubious distinction of being the worst hotel breakfast I have ever been offered. I have been all over the world, so that is saying something. We would go elsewhere next time.

4  Thank lindagaf
There are newer reviews for The Wagner at Duck Creek

Reviewed October 22, 2005

Headed down to the Cape for the oyster festtival last weekend and one last stay at the Inn at Duck Creek for the year. What a wild Wellfeet weekend. It rained buckets, the wind was hearty and there were a number of power failures around town. On and off all day and night. We felt warm and cozy at the inn. When the power is out in this little Cape town there is no water. Our host had cases of bottled water so that we could brush our teeth. The other guests were great. We laughed at the adventure and made the best of it. Hosts did every thing with care and good humor. It always feels like friendly family there. Our room was spotless and comfortable. We could walk from the inn to where the festival took place so the location was perfect. Oysters were fantastic. Even the police could not say when power would be back on. Too much wind. It is a very good value. Loved the addition of warm flaky croissant this year. We are planning our trips back to Duck Creek for next year.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank Big-Dee1983
Reviewed October 17, 2005

We wanted something close to an Oyster Festival that was going on for this weekend and we found this bed & breakfast. We did read the reviews - not that good-but we figured we were only staying one night how bad could it be. Well we arrived for check-in and they had no electricity, so we were like ok will there be power later this afternoon? Maybe. When we came back from our outing there was power. We decided to go to the tavern that was located next door for a snack, we got there and walk in people sitting at tables but they tell us they are closed for the season. Now why they didn't tell us that at the B&B when we asked, I don't know. So we had to go find someplace to eat. When we returned again they were without power. They had two candles lit in the lobby with a couple of people sitting there, no one asked if we wanted to use one to go to our room. thank god my husband had a lighter we were able to find our room. the next day we got up early (finally there is power) taking a shower the tub is backing up, my husband finds a chunk of hair in the tub. Now, if they cleaned the tub they would have noticed it clogging. That grossed me out. A bed to sleep in, not that it was comfortable, but it worked. I would not be staying there again.

3  Thank mommyanewport
Reviewed October 7, 2005

I was reccommended to the Inn by a friend after looking for suggestions on somewhere to go to get away from New York City for a few days, to unplug and relax. She reccommended Duck Creeke, and I'm glad she did. The Innkeepers, Moo and Judy, couldn't have been lovelier. Even though they were on skeleton staff because it was off season, I never once felt as though someone was hard to get ahold of if I needed something. The Inn has a wonderful, historic feel. The room I stayed in was bright, cheery, and cleaned daily. I had a marvelous time, and hope to be back for another visit to the Inn very soon.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank Offbalance
New Haven, CT
Reviewed September 26, 2005

We were hoping for a quiet, cozy weekend escape and we got it at the Duck Creek Inn. We stayed on the third floor in a charming room. It was clean, the bed comfortable, the decor wonderful. We didn't need to bother the staff for anything but they were always there. We plan to go back next year at the same time.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
denville, nj
Reviewed September 7, 2005

The peeling wallpaper and ceiling paint in the reception area made me start to worry but I kept telling myself to relax because this place had just won an award in 2004 for outstanding B&B on the outer cape. The question that remains unanswered after our stay is how did this place ever win that award.

The owner was inattentive and didn't seem to care about anything but our money. We had to wait a while to check in because no one was around the reception area that could help us, the rooms were small and stuffy, the mattress on the bed was old and worn and became rather noticeably U-shaped by the middle of the night, the bathroom was full of mold ( more peeling wallpaper)and clearly put together by an amatuer plumber. The breakfast was also less than desirable and the ant in my drink at the tavern gave us something else to shake our heads about.

The bottom line is that we will not be staying at this inn ever again and as far as we can see the only thing it has going for it is that it is located in a wonderful town.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed September 6, 2005

Stayed for four nights in Agust 2005. Have visited the Cape 16 times over the last 20 years This was poor in regards to service and facilities. I know its an old building and it does have character but the basics still need to be there for an enjoyable stay. The rooms in the roof space are very dark and poorly lit. The breakfast is a joke just some flasks of coffee and toast and cake. Plus you have to clean up after yourself as there are no staff on hand to assist.My main point is that the whole place could do with a good clean it just seemed neglected and tired. The reception was very rarely staffed and on one occassion I needed assistance as I had left my keys in the room and needed access, I went to reception and found a note stating that if I needed assistance I would have to go along to a nearby restuarant and contact someone there. The process took over an hour to be resolved. Upon speaking to the owners re the poor quality of the room she stated we had the worst room because we booked late, and she offered no solution to the problem. This could be an excellent Inn but I feel the service, facilities and cleanliness is letting this establishment down. THe staff working around the Inn were very poor in communicating the ones I encountered were eastern European students. I would not stay again

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellfleet
Harbor Hotel Provincetown
#4 of 4 in Wellfleet
Blue Dolphin Inn
Blue Dolphin Inn
#5 of 9 in Eastham

Been to The Wagner at Duck Creek? Share your experiences!