“Nightmare Honeymoon”

The Wagner at Duck Creek
Ranked #3 of 10 Wellfleet B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the inn on the night before our wedding and on our wedding night. The bed was so hard. We might as well have been sleeping on cement. It was freezing in the room and there was only a sheet and thin blanket on the bed. When I went to the office to ask for an extra blanket, I had to wait 30 minutes for someone to show up. We were so miserable that we packed up our things in the middle of the night and spent our wedding night at my parents' house.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elindsabeth
There are newer reviews for The Wagner at Duck Creek

Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is our first trip to the New England area as well as being a long awaited visit to Cape Cod. Perhaps too much was expected. The lobster roll, the steamed lobster, the clam chowder, the beauty all exceeded expectations, as did the warmth of the people we met. But our night at a "Typical Cape Cod Inn" left a great deal to be desired. We do not personally appreciate air conditioning, but being told that there was only one room available, we took it, of course it was the most expensive. Thank goodness it wasn't the cheapest. Certainly clean and adequate but little else. For $172 I did expect a few more comforts. I did expect a hairdryer, curtains that fitted, a shelf rather than the floor for my toilet bag, adequate lighting in the bathroom, soap that wasn't sitting in a puddle. I did expect a little charm with a little more care taken with decoration and comfort. I did expect maybe mineral water and a glass rather than a tatty plastic cup and the tap. At breakfast glass and china would be nice, not the ubiquitous plastic. breakfast was served, if you can call it that, at eight. The small amount of fruit and preserves were serves at 8.40 followed then by a plate of cake. There was adequate carbohydrates but what about some protein, is an egg too difficult. Again charmless. And the final insult in that bare breakfast are is the notice, "please clear your table." As I said, maybe I expected too much. But I have never been disappointed in any other part of the U.S. Two Brits will return home with some lovely memories and one very sad one of what might have been. My advice is, expect little from this adequate establishment and you will not then be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzanneBeard
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I spent a few nights at the Inn at Duck Creeke. I chose room 28 in the Captains House. It was so lovely. Decorated soft and warm. When I retired for the evenning I was taken back in time to when I was a little girl. The sheets are 100% cotton ,so soft it reminded me of my Mom .She would iron our sheets and then powder them in the summer so you would slip right in. So nice. The breakfast was a nice light summer fare, fresh fruit,cereal english muffins,bagels,delicious coffee cakes, coffee, tea and juice. Just right to start your day. I also also dined at the tavern which I highly recommend. The food was delicious with many choices. They also have entertainment four nights a week. I can't wait to return

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Pups20
Reviewed July 2, 2011

The reviews about the Inn at Duck Creek are mixed and we gave it the benefit of the doubt. We have however been very disappointed. Whilst it has a quaintness about it that is endearing and at the bar and restaurant Bob and Judy are very charming and helpful, the Inn does not have the same care an attention to customer experience. Rooms are sold on the basis of ' 'getting away from it all' - back to basics. But really this goes too far. Simple things that most people would come to expect at an Inn are missing. Cheap, disposable bowls for breakfast, no choices of cereals, no shampoo in the bathroom, no way of making a hot drink,: these are petty niggles but symptomatic of the penny pinching that seems to be the hallmark of this Inn. So if you want to experience B&B like it used to be in the 1960sat 21st Centry prices then this is your place. If you want value for money then look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank javandbeth
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This place won awards in the past, so I'd have to say it's really gone downhill. The mattress was uncomfortably hard (although the linens were nice). The lighting was terrible in the bathroom, and there was no plug for hair dryer in the bathroom. The towels were the cheap thin kind. The breakfast was completely lame with styrofoam bowls for cereal and small selection of fruit and food. The front desk was empty most of the time we were there, with a sign saying they'd be back or hadn't opened yet for the day (at 8:00 AM). I definitely would not return.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 85percent
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I was here for an overnight stay whilst traveling through the area. I stayed in the main house in a room that had two beds-one queen and one single. Firstly, Wellfleet is a lovely town and I highly recommend a visit. That said, for such a charming town, there seems to be an absence of really charming B&Bs if I am to go by other reviewers. I opted to stay here for ease as I was meeting people at the Tavern next door. It is in a lovely setting but it is very expensive ($140 with private bath, $120 shared) and the rooms are VERY basic. I was in fact, a bit annoyed that some basic amenities are not even there. Very thin towels, two bars of tiny soap (no shampoo) and the breakfast was anything but charming. The host was fine. But really some of the other reviewers giving this a 4 and 5 star; I don't get it. There is really nothing exceptional or memorable about this B&B. The Holden Inn seemed much nicer but I did not stay there. So perhaps spend a day in Wellfleet and the overnight in Provincetown (only about 15 minutes away).

Room Tip: to the back of the main hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank CavKA
Reviewed November 18, 2010

We have enjoyed our fifth Oyster Fest in Wellfleet on Cape Cod. Each year, we stay at the Inn at Duck Creek. The Inn has become an important part of our tradition.
The Inn at Duck Creek is true to its New England heritage, full of character and beautifully-maintained details. The rooms are comfortable and always immaculate. The hosts/owners are warm and accomodating. Fellow guests are considerate. All of this hospitality is offered at extremely reasonable rates.
The location is terrific. The Inn is located just off Rte 6 and is a brief walk from both Wellfleet Center and the Harbor. The pub/restaurant next door has good food in a fun atmosphere. Alongside the pub, is the Wicked Oyster Restaurant for fine dining.
Staying at the Inn at Duck Creek can't be beat -
See you next year, K.D. and C.S.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank kmdcms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellfleet
Harbor Hotel Provincetown
#4 of 4 in Wellfleet
Blue Dolphin Inn
Blue Dolphin Inn
#5 of 9 in Eastham

Been to The Wagner at Duck Creek? Share your experiences!