“Not going back-treated rudely”
Review of Wellfleet Motel

Wellfleet Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Wellfleet
GreenLeadersGold level
Newtown, Connecticut
“Not going back-treated rudely”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

After a nice stay last year, I booked a double room for my daughters, a friend and I for three nights . The room size was good, clean as a motel can be with people checking in and out all summer, and it was convenient to many of the places we wanted to visit. I will not be returning or recommending it to anyone after this trip. After a day at the beach I invited my friends' daughters to join us at the pool for a dip. The girls were sitting in the pool giggling while I was reading, when an older man ( I am assuming the owner) came out with a roster and started shouting "What room are you in?" I left my lounge chair to walk over and introduce myself as the supervising adult for fear he thought they were pool crashers. He proceed to remind me that I booked a room for 4 and these people were not allowed in the pool. I began to explain that I was unaware of that being a problem since it has never been anywhere else I have ever stayed. Then began the yelling. Rather than quielty explain his liability issue ( I am college educated, polite and have stayed in many hotels) he shouted at me about breaking the rules and pointed to a sign on the fence three feet from the gate that said that the pool is for motel guests. Again, I repeated that it was unintentional as he continued to rant and rave and I asked the girls to go to the room. Some other pool attendees from Switzerland asked me what the kids did wrong and when I explained, they were surprised and said, "We never heard of such a thing and the girls were so well behaved." I decided that since I spent almost $1800 over the last two summers at this motel that it was very inappropriate for this man to be shouting at me like I was one of his grandchildren. I walked over and explained how upset I was with the way I was being treated as a customer and he again began shouting about insurance, that I broke the rules...blah, blah,blah. A younger man was standing there as he yelled. I informed both of them that I would never book a room there again nor recommend it to anyone after the way I was being treated. The younger man muttered, "Sorry." That was the best I got. When I returned to my kids at the other end of the parking lot, they commented on how they could hear every word this man was shouting at me. I liked the place for what it was but there are many other options on the Cape that would not included getting shouted at by the owners. Incidently, the next day, he yelled at some young men getting ready to swim and demanding to know what room they are in. At least I know I was not the only one.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank CTJean57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
new york
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Our room was musty smelling as if it needed airing out. We found a cockroach on the nightstand our first night. When this was reported to the owners the next morning, they supplied us with a can of Raid Roach spray for US TO SPRAY THE ROOM WITH. They did NOT offer to take care of the situation themselves.They questioned our finding and were completely non-accomodating. They did mention possibly moving us to a different room but, did not follow through with that. Our overall impression was that the rooms and grounds seemed to lack upkeep. The indoor pool was nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chris52leo
Beaverton,OR
Reviewed October 18, 2009

This motel has many pluses and will be fine for most:
- nice location for Wellfleet and not far to PTown
- good staff
- spotlessly clean
- nice sized room
- non-smoking
- very reasonable for Cape Cod

It had one downside for us, however, as the room was clean but not 'fresh' - very strong deodorinzing odor so if you're sensitive to strong fragrances not so good. In fairness to the motel, this may have been a special case - there was a somewhat confusing sign in the room that may have meant someone had smoked in the room (it is a no=somoking establishment). Probably wouldn't bother most folks, just if you're sensitive to fragrance/strong scents.

1 Thank krah
Boynton Beach, FL
Reviewed October 12, 2009

The Wellfleet Motel was conveniently located on the Northern Cape. Our double bedroom was quite large and very clean. We enjoyed the beautiful indoor pool as well as the nearby trails for biking and walking. Our breakfast at the Cafe was delicious and the service was remarkable. Highly recommend this lovely motel.

2 Thank bridgequeen1
Maynard, MA
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We've been coming here every year for I don't know how long. The rooms are very comfortable - they're roomy and clean, and I've always slept well in the beds, which is something I can't say for most motels I've stayed in. (The owners have quietly made improvements to the decor and furnishings over the years, so that the rooms always feel up-to-date.) Our kids love the outdoor pool and the open area between the two lodges is great for a game of frisbee or catch in the evening after being out at the beach or sightseeing. The motel is in a great location - just a short drive from Marconi Beach to the north, but also convenient to the amenities (restaurants, etc.) in Eastham to the south. The Audubon sanctuary is right across the street, and for those who like to bike, there is direct access to the Cape Cod Bike Trail from the premises.
And the on-premises breakfast cafe (Harrigan's) is great, too - good food & friendly service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank peteyq
boston
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Room very clean and large. Had all amenities needed. Pool looked nice but not that hot so did not use. Only meal served is breakfast which was very good -- it is not included in rate. Staff were all very nice. Checkin was 3:30pm, would have preferred earlier since checkout was 11am.

Next to Cape Cod rail trail. Many bike racks available to lock bikes to.

My wife noticed a musty smell in room but I did not -- Room 2.

Had an $85 (pretax) rate from united.com Hotels, which is United Airlines travel arm
A great price for off season cape. We were going to go back to a nice B&B we'd stayed at before that is at least twice as expensive.

New Paltz, NY
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We were very satisfied with our stay. The room with the king bed was very clean, comfortable, and roomy. The bathroom was nice and had a good-sized vanity located outside of the bathroom. It was a good value for the comparatively low rates. The breakfast at the on-site cafe was delicious and very reasonable. The location is exactly where we wanted to be.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rjg426
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellfleet
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Blue Dolphin Inn
#3 of 9 in Eastham
Four Points by Sheraton Eastham Cape Cod
Viking Shores Motor Inn

Been to Wellfleet Motel? Share your experiences!