“Poor people's skills at reception-canyon De Chelly Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chinle
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had been riding some 4 hours from Albuquerque on our Harley D and were greeted at The Holiday Inn Canyon De Chelley with a no expression, not helpful check in receptionist... The time was 2:15 pm, we were tired...we were told with out apology that check-in isn't until 3 pm and might as well have been invisible!!! We disappointedly sat down in the lobby and had to wait...we were finally allowed to check in only to find that our keys they gave us frustratingly wouldn't open the back corridor door or our room door. My husband had to go back and get new card keys. The room was a good size, clean and descent. All through our stay there wasn't one cheery nice hotel worker, sometimes it felt like they preferred to avoid us. I realize that the Navajo people have different cultural inter active ways to us but when you're working in the hospitality service YOU need to APPLY a certain level of people's skills and niceness to make your check in customers feel comfortable and at home or else they are more likely not to return...We will NOT be returning because our first encounter with the hotel reception did not leave me with a good impression which is why I give them an over all POOR review ...I agree with one of the other reviews- the staff at the hotel restaurant that bring customers to their table was not friendly
looking...There are. Few other hotels that are convenient enough to the Canyon we will try next time... One of our Tour guides suggested we eat at the JUNCTION RESTAURANT next to The Best Western...The Navajo Lamb stew and Navajo Beef stew was delicious and the Fry bread...

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwi girl N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Kiwi girl N,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that you have noticed the cleanliness of our rooms. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Most importantly, I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Fabulous stay at here, staff were fantastic, especially the wait staff in the restaurant.

Our room was very clean and we had a great view of the outskirts of the Canyon which was only about a mile or so away.

The Navajo Fried Bread was one of the highlights of our road trip tasty, fresh and huge.

I felt some of the guests treated the wait staff less than respectfully which is a shame because a
I thought the staff were very friendly and welcoming,

It was a real pleasure to stay here, thank you

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

First encounter with the hotel reception did not leave me with good impression, as they were not so helpful when I tried to ask if can check in earlier. I do understand that rooms may not be available, but it is just the way the staff response to my queries that made me a little unhappy. In addition, they did not even know if the hotel restaurant serves lunch and asked me to ask the restaurant on my own. This is unacceptable as the hotel is not big and they should know all the operations for the hotel including the restaurant. Similarly, the staff at the hotel restaurant that bring customers to their table was also not friendly looking. Saving grace was the waitress who served us that was full of smile and helpfulness.

The room was of a decent size, good thing we were allocated a ground floor unit that allow us to bring our luggages in from the back sliding doors. However, it also left us feeling insecure as the lock for the back sliding doors was not well secured.

The hotel provides each customers a voucher for breakfast and allow us to choose whatever price breakfast we like. They also give us voucher for "kids eat free" for breakfast that helped to save some money for us.

Do note that housekeeping goes home after 6pm as I was asking for hot water and had to go to the restaurant to ask for it. Special mention for the waitress that gave me a few pot of hot water in the evening as we need hot water. Maybe the hotel should provide kettle to allow hotel guest to boil water as guest needs it to make milk or other drinks besides coffee.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor unit facing carpark as these rooms have sliding door that allow you to bring in...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear joltt,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. Please accept our deepest apologies the overall dissatisfaction you have experienced during your stay. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very comfortable rooms and very good restaurant. The pool water was a little green, but there were some guests swimming!? I wouldn't have gone into the water because of the apparent algae, but it was pretty cool out anyway. I didn't book this hotel for the pool though, I booked it for the convenience to the canyon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Steve T,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Also, thank you for pointing out the convenience of our location to Canyon de Chelly. I am also pleased to note that you liked our rooms and the restaurant.

However, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience our pool has caused you.

Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by the hotel's management and will be used to target opportunity areas. We look forward to hosting you again should your travel plans bring you back to our area.

Dhan M

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The spectacular Canyon de Chelly is the primary reason for visiting Chinle. The Holiday Inn provided a comfortable night's stay. The property is well maintained and clean. The restaurant service was very good and the food was reasonable and varied. As others have mentioned, the town itself is not a destination but the canyon is a must see. We were very satisfied with this hotel as our base for doing so.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Once we got past the young lady at check-in that needs more customer sensitivity training, and the over-crowded parking lot, the room was very nice, as you expect from HI. The lady at check-out was very nice and seemed concerned.

View out our window included trash strewn on the hillside. A few minutes spent picking it up could have prevented a less-than-good impression.

No continental breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My friend and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly for a quick one night stop. The hotel was more than enough considering the price we paid for it. The area that the hotel is located in may not be the best neighborhood in the world, but hotel grounds provided a sense of security that was good enough. Be aware of some stray dogs in the morning however.

In terms of food, you are pretty much locked in to the hotel restaurant which is ok and nothing special, unless you are willing to order fast food down the road.

Im not sure if I would recommend staying more than one or two nights at the hotel but for us Holiday Inn did the job.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly? Share your experiences!