“Decent room for a decent price”

Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chinle
Reviewed October 3, 2007

After driving through Chinle and seeing how scruffy it was, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Holiday Inn was a nice, clean and modern motel. I would stay here again if needed. Was only here for a night.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Sukibot
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly

Reviewed September 28, 2007

I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn on my recent Canyon De Chelly trip.

My purpose there was for creative business. I found the hotel to be among the best I have stayed in on the Navajo Nation (there have been others). The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. All the amenities that I regularly use were there, and the staff members were friendly and helpful to the best of their ability. The one down side was a guide that I hired to take my 4x4 into the canyon. He was a self proclaimed musician and film-maker. I agreed to buy his CD only to be very disappointed by the quality of the production, musicianship, effects, editing and mixing. I think this fellow thought a great deal more of his music than most who are not so subtly asked to buy it! I can only hope his DVD is of better quality than his CD. This was only a minor issue, as his guiding was poor, he constantly talked about wanting to get home to "look on the internet" and how hungry he was. This man could do well to study the traditions of the Swiss mountain guides (famous throughout the world for their excellence). At the Antelope House ruins, I had to inform him that I was ready to go as he was busy having a snack and chatting with his friends who run the overpriced concession there. We went on to the White House ruins, where one of his friends rudely corrected my Navajo. All the time that this guide was with me, he expressed how much of a hurry he was in to get back "to check the internet." None of this was enough to seriously damage the experience, however it is enough to say that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Suggest that if you take a guided tour into the canyon or drive your own 4x4, do NOT hire a guide from the Holiday Inn, but go to the visitor's center and hire one there. It will still be hit or miss, but you might get a person who knows the art of guiding.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Desert_Cruiser
Reviewed September 3, 2007

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor for Chinle accommodation it was with some trepidation that we approached this Holiday Inn. But we need not have worried.
From our greeting on arrival, to our room, the restaurant and the lovely ladies in the gift shop, we could not have been more supprised. Our stay was just great, food in the restaurant more than adequate, staff very pleasant, and the range of gifts in the shop were a delight.
We did a four hour trip into the Canyon, unfortunately our guide had been doing this trip for too long and did not have the vitality that the scene demanded. We met a farmer with a little shop and he should be guiding as he was so forthcoming on the canyon. We learnt more from him in 20 minutes than from the guide of 4 hours. This canyon is an awesome experience and most Americans do not know it even exists.
But overall we enjoyed our stay in Chinle and would like to convey special thanks to the Park Ranger at the visitors center who sent us over the mountains to Farmington. This was a very spectacular drive and his detail on the road was just great.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Calicolodge
Reviewed August 28, 2007

This is one of the cleanest hotels I've ever been in. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the location was perfect for exploring the Canyon. Best of all was the food in Garcia's, which was some of the tastiest we've had anywhere. The tortilla soup, quesadillas, and the breakfasts were unbelievable!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank glennmartha
Reviewed August 23, 2007

It is quite possible that the Holiday Inn is good accomodation for Chinle, but it is no Hampton Inn! It is just a regular Holiday Inn.
Therefore, the room is ok and it is clean, but that's all there is to it. Free internet sometimes worked, sometimes it didn't. Do not expect culinary delights at their restaurat.
They supposedly serve breakfast from 6.30 to 10.00 (or 9.30, I don't remember exactly), but when we arrived to have breakfast at 8.30 the breakfast area looked like an army went thought it and there was not much food left. When we were seated, they just turned off the lights over the breakfast buffet (which was dirty and empty anyway). So we got up and ended up having breakfast at Burger King.
So, if you can find a better accomodation in Chinle stay away from the Holiday Inn, if not, it's ok, but not worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank TamiTravel
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Stayed here 3 days/2nites. Hotel sits right next to the entrance of Canyon de Chelly. Got hotel from Hotwire [2*] for $80/nite. Asked for king bed and received it!
The room was excellent and includes a refrigerator. Hopefully you come to explore - nothing on TV.
The bathroom is nice and the shower is, as expressed earlier, rather thin - standard length but the width is smaller than usual.
Did not get a chance to eat at the restaurant but it looked nice. One of the better places to eat in Chinle. [It was closed when we went there for lunch @ 3pm Sat. Went to the restaurant in front of the Best Western, which is situated right next to the High School.]
The only reason why the rating is not 5 star is becuase I reserve that for really something extra special. But note that this hotel is special especially for it being Holiday Inn.

The town is small and you get a local flavor.
Only one store in town - Bashas. 2 fast food places - Burger King and Churches Chicken.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gstabc
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We stayed one night last week and overall the hotel is excellent. The room and carpet were clean; very comfortable beds. The bathtub, however, was a bit confining. This property is well kept up, with nice grounds. We ate at the restaurant and the service was very fast and courteous. I ate the Navajo taco and found it insipid, tasteless. Not what I expected. We took a tour of Canyon de Chelly with Adam Teller and it was a great experience, do not miss it. We visited all the overlooks on the south rim right before sunset; we'll never forget the beauty of Spider Rock at nightfall.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank dafajua

Been to Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly? Share your experiences!