Spider Rock Campground
$102
BestWestern.com
Navajoland Inn & Suites(Saint Michaels)
$80
$97
$87
QualityInn
$110
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewswood stovecamp hostdirt floorspider rollunique experienceprimitive campingjeep tournavajo flutebeautiful nightcanyon rimbeautiful starsevery morningenjoyed our staystayed nightshogancampfirecampers
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We made a reservation several weeks in advance and Howard asked that I give him two nights DEPOSIT for the three nights reserved either by check or money order, no credit cards accepted. At that time he was very easy to get in touch with, answered the phone and emails promptly etc. A few days before we were meant to arrive, we both became very ill and came home early. I contacted him via email to let him know we would not be coming and I mentioned a refund for the deposit at that time. Keep in mind we gave him more than 72 hours notice of our cancellation. We never heard from him. I have sent several emails trying to get my money back and nothing. He cashed our check, broke his agreement and kept our money. Dishonest and shady business practices so stay at your own risk.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank intrepidtrotter
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We arrived at Spider Rock a couple of days after visiting Grand Canyon and hiking as far as Plateau Point. We liked Canyon de Chelley and its hosts BETTER!
As we were going to be flying to Arizona with no good way to bring camp gear of any kind much less sleeping bags, we made arrangements with Howard who was kind enough to get us some bedding for our hogan sleepover. We arrived in the afternoon once we had checked out both rims of the canyon all day and he showed us our hogan and pointed us to the Junction restaurant in Chinle, which had delicious food!!! at good prices. We came back so full and exhausted and Howard was kind enough to have a fire going in our little stove inside the cozy hogan and beds ready made. It was only 5 pm or so but as we were falling asleep, Howard called to us from outside to see that we were comfortable, which we were.
We woke up at midnight and decided to head out for our 9 hour drive into New Mexico.
I'm glad we had a great meal and comfortable rest, because our overnight drive made it possible to view a meteor shower on the way! Kismet!
We love the Canyon! It's beautiful and really red, it smells great (juniper + clean air or something) the people are kind & friendly and we were glad to have gone there.
Thanks for having us Howard. Any schmuck can stay at a Holiday Inn, but we appreciated staying with you.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nearzena
Reviewed April 28, 2009

If you have an RV and don't require any kind of restroom or running water, this place is fine. Unfortunately, we came by car and were planning to stay in the hogan. It was dirty and creepy. A constant rain of dirt fell from walls and ceiling. There was dirt and what looked like blood on the sheets of the lumpy mattress provided. Finally, the restrooms were disgusting. The toilets were smeared with feces and filled with trash. We left after 30 minutes and stayed instead at the Holiday Inn in Chinle, which proved to be very nice.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chipperxv
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Spider Rock is a little ways from the free campground near the visitor's center at canyon de chelly but really it is worth it. For one thing the overlook points along the way are great stops to view the canyon and take photos. When I stayed there were just a few campers and Howard had reserved me the camp site in the back with a fantastic view of the desert and campground. To my surprise there is wireless internet available for a few bucks and even a computer in the office. A solar shower and flush toilet at the office are also great. The sites are roomy, have tables, fire pits and in such a really peaceful setting amidst juniper and sagebrush. The friendly camp dog (also known as Rez dogs) greeted me as soon as he heard my tent unzip in the morning. Really a choice above a hotel in Chilnee. The Hogans and sweat lodge looked great though I didn't experience them. The vault toilets are fine but not for the delicate camper.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Lonedog
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I have stayed at Spider Rock Campground at least 3 times. I am returning in July, 2008. All of the above reviews are true to every degree. Howard is a delight, and I look forward to seeing him again. I hope that he will join us at our campfire, and share his stories again.

As a photographer, and as one who believes in the power of connecting to a place through the people you meet there, Spider Rock Campground is an experience not to be missed. I would have been disappointed to stay at the mouth of the canyon, at the "main" campground. The authenticity of Spider Rock Campground will enrich your overall experience of Canyon de Chelley. Do realize that the campground does not "overlook" Spider Rock (which is a wee bit up the road...)

Definitely plan on preparing your own meals over the camp fire. Arrive with firewood for at least your first night, in case there isn't any available at the campsite. And of course, all necessary provisions. There is no real "camp store" for propane, ice or hot dog buns. And do not fear the howling coyotes.

If you can plan your visit to fall during the full moon, you will certainly enjoy the moonlight walk to the canyon rim. Mine was unforgettable and I recall it often, especially now as I anticipate my next visit.

Yes, the toilets are pit toilets, but not the kind where it is a hole over "nasty" stuff. It's more like a camper van toilet... Be sure to take a flashlight at night so that you can read the notes of operation, etc.... A full moon night might make you think you don't need a flash light!

Canyon de Chelley is a gorgeous canyon. Even if you are unable to "hike" to the canyon floor, the South and North rim overlooks are fantastic and very fulfilling -- they can be enjoyed in one day, but if you have two full days, you could experience the canyon floor as well.

I am taking my college students for 3 nights, 2 full days, before heading on to Arches for 4 nights.

• Stayed: July 2003, traveled with friends