“A Cultural and Exciting Canyon Adventure”

Canyon de Chelly Spider Rock Jeep Tours
Ranked #5 of 11 Tours in Chinle
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Oscar Bia who runs this tour was really informative and man, did his jeep go! He took us deep into the canyon to places that seemed really remote. It was a half day tour but we saw a lot. What was great too is that Oscar was willing to take us on the same day as we called. He was raised in the canyon as a boy, is a medicine man and had many stories to tell which provided the tour with quite an authentic feeling. We had many questions about the Diné culture and traditions and he was quite willing to talk with us and explain much. Overall it was a really good experience that left us knowing more and wanting to discover more too.

1  Thank Don B
in 4 reviews
"insight"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I had the best time on the 3 hour tour with Oscar through the canyon. He was informative and knowledgable about the culture, and grew up in the Canyon! We rode in the open top jeep and saw many historic and sacred sites. What a great day! Thanks Oscar.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Oscar took my wife and me along with two of our good friends on the tour of our life. He showed us several petroglyphs and explained in detail what each symbol represented according to the Navajo beliefs---fascinating. He knew the geology and was able to convey the way the Navajo's viewed creation. Since he is a shaman for the people he was able to explain how the plants were used and being a biologist I must admit--he knew what he was talking about. He showed the various abandoned cliff dwellings and gave us the history of where they possibly might have gone. The sandstone cliffs were a beautiful pink hue with black stains running down them like zebra stripes. He gave an in depth discussion of the area and his people. I would recommend this tour to everyone--well worth the travel to get there and the cost was more than reasonable for what we got. Thank you Oscar!

5  Thank docaucutt
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband, myself and a couple of friends (visiting Arizona from New Jersey) spent a very enjoyable day with Oscar Bia on May 17th. We opted for the six hour tour and were able to cover most of Canyon de Chelly in Oscar's four-wheel drive Jeep. (Unless you have a pretty rough-and-ready SUV of your own, I would definitely suggest using Oscar's equipment as some of the river crossings are rocky and rough.) We found Oscar to be very approachable with a lively sense of humor; he really put forth the effort to ensure a positive experience for all of us. We heard stories about his family and the Dine` culture, saw lots of ruins, petroglyphs and rock formations in the far reaches of the Canyon, and even visited some of Oscar's own property. I had no problems getting in touch with him to make the arrangements, corresponding either via cell phone or email. As of last month, Oscar was doing business as "Canyon Ancient Jeep Tours" and his contact info. was as follows: ph: 928-349-5912 / email: oscarbia@yahoo.com

3  Thank Susan P
See more reviews
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I chose this tour company because it had only a few reviews, but they were all positive...and I wanted to support a new business. It was difficult to get a response from Oscar Bia when I was trying to set up the tour. But, he finally did respond. Oscar told me that he would give me a tour himself, as I had asked for an all-day tour. I arrived the morning of my tour and asked some other tour operators if they knew Oscar. They informed me that he was in Phoenix, and that he no longer provided tours!!!
They offered to call him, and when I spoke to him, he did not remember the plan he had set up with me. Unbeknownst to me, on the phone he asked one of the other tour operators if I could go with him and luckily, the couple he was taking touring welcomed me. I ended up having a very good tour, but realize how lucky I was. I could have been at de Chelly and not had a tour at all, as I was leaving the next day. Very disappointing.

5  Thank J K