“So-so tour”

Canyon de Chelly Tours
Ranked #2 of 11 Tours in Chinle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Canyon De Chelly Tours is an enterprise of Leon Skyhorse Thomas. Every guide is a professional, certified by the National Park Service by examination. In addition to tours of the Canyon de Chelly National Monument, cultural consulting needs are addressed on a case by case basis for those who seek a more intimate insight onto the Navajo Way. Leon has assisted film-makers on location in Navajoland and is used to delivering high quality services to the people and organizations he serves.There are over 2700 archaeological sites within the many canyons of Canyon de Chelly National Monument. Only 13 of the 700 standing ruins have been stabilized, re-inforced, or protected from degradation. We are professional Navajo guides who can teach you the history of our canyons and about the Anasazi, Hopi and Navajo peoples. We pride ourselves in offering you more than just viewing our scenery - but we can do this too!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was looking forward to a great trip, but I was underwhelmed by the lack of professionalism exhibited by the tour company.

When I made the reservation, I was given very unspecific directions to be at the visitors center at 9:00 a.m. Eager for our tour, we arrived a half hour early and waited, and waited, and waited. As 9:00 came and went and no one "found us" we got worried. I didn't even know who we were waiting for. One guide from another tour company approached us eventually and when we said we were waiting for Leon, he said Leon doesn't give tours, and somebody else would be coming for us. Eventually we ran into other people who were looking for the same tour company and we tracked down a woman who was sending others out on their Canyon de Chelly tours. When we gave her our name, she said our guide had left with another group of tourists. Then she started scrambling and speaking to another guide in Navajo. It appeared that she was trying to get him to take us, but he was concerned that his Jeep was too small for our family of four (I was inferring this because they were speaking Navajo). Then she told us he was going to be our guide and I was reluctant, but he was our only alternative since there were no guides left and my family really wanted tot tour the canyon.

Guess what, the Jeep WAS too small. It made for an incredibly uncomfortable ride. The guide was knowledgeable, but it was difficult to get him to answer questions about the canyon not related to his scripted speeches. It was as if he was begrudging us information. I was dissatisfied by the lack of organization, lack of information, and generally poorly led tour. I would not recommend Canyon de Chelly tours.

8  Thank CaliforniaJessica
"private tour"
in 22 reviews
"wonderful tour"
in 17 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"great guide"
"first hand"
in 4 reviews
"bucket list"

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We tool the three hour private tour. Our tour guide was Davison and he was knowledgeable and funny. Took the time to answers all questions and stopped when we asked (even when it was not part of the tour). Saw some fantastic sites. My kids really enjoyed his discussion of the Navajo language. His knowledge of the canyon and lore was very good. Would definitely recommend.

2  Thank AmosMerritt
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was truly disappointed in our tour with Canyon de Chelly tours. Choose someone else. One vehicle didn't have functioning back doors. You have to get in and out of the vehicles multiple times and this caused great inconvenience to my group. Our guides were adequate but the tour was ruined by the lousy vehicle. Do not use this company.

6  Thank ccanderso
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Very thorough, informative and enjoyable. Our assigned guide, Davison, hit all the right notes. He was knowledgable and fun. I highly recommend this outfit.

2  Thank PigsyMan
See more reviews
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Irene was our guide for this tour for four of us. She was very knowledgeable about the Canyon, the Navaho today and the history of the area and its peoples. We never felt hurried on our four hour tour. I like photography and she made sure to stop at all of the sites that were worthy of a picture. The tour was very well worth it. My father-in-law thought it was the highlight of his week in Arizona. I preferred Monument Valley which to me was more scenic. The Chinle area is unfortunately very poor and the history of the area somewhat sad..

2  Thank bayridge2011