“An Incredible Experience!”

Manatee and Dolphin Encounter
Ranked #1 of 13 Tours in Titusville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A Day Away Kayak Tours is passionate about reconnecting man with nature and each other. We offer tours seven days a week at various sites across Central Florida, and most of our tours take place on the Merritt Isalad National Wildlife Refuge, one of the most diverse estuaries in North America. We frequently encounter manatees, dolphins and a large variety of birds. Enjoy the natural beauty of Florida with the best possible paddling experience at the best price available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our family of two adults and a preteen booked the Bioluminescence Tour on a moonless night. We don't have much experience with kayaking. We were given easy driving instructions to follow. Once we arrived, everyone waited by the water for all guests to show up. Tip- use deet all over yourself, even over your clothes- the mosquitoes (only on land) were merciless. The kayak tour guides, there were four for our group of less than 20, were friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. We always felt safe and got cool information about surrounding wildlife. Nothing about this tour was difficult in terms of the actual kayaking. Very gentle pace. We had ample opportunity to play with the luminescent water creatures, the jellyfish were just unreal. The tour lasted two hours. I have told everyone about this tour since we got home, and we will absolutely do another tour with A Day Away. Tim, we didn't bring any cash with us, you'll get a double tip when we return, you were a great guide!

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"bird island"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The tour was well organized and the leaders were extremely nice and knowledgeable. They gave us a very brief and basic instruction on how to use the kayaks, as well as light-sticks and life-vests. There were about 25 people in this tour.

We took two kayaks for the four of us. We started paddling behind the leader, but there were other leaders herding the group from the sides and rear; very well organized. At times, some of the leaders chatted with us about different ecological topics. It was a great, excellent exercise!

We expected to see bio-luminescence at the level found in the Caribbean. In reality, in this tour we barely, barely saw something under a completely dark sky. That was a shame :(

Our return was very funny. We started to hear fish jumping and slapping on the water. One of the leaders got a fish inside his kayak. He turned on his headlamp and showed it to all of us grabbing it with both hands its head and tail; about one foot long! Then, I got something spiny that jumped inside my kayak that slid to my right foot. I turned my headlamp and surprise! A big, long and beautiful shrimp!!! I sent it back to the water.

When we returned, turned back the paddles and life-vests, and that was it. We really enjoyed even with no luminescence. We wanted more!

The only issue with this tour is its rendezvous site (I had to place the latitude and longitude to get there), and the lack of mobile communication with the organizers. According to the instructions received, there was a bridge closed until certain date, and therefore they recommended to use a different route (from the North). Since we were travelling after the date indicated by them, we expected the bridge to be open from the South, but surprise! It was closed! Good thing that we went early and had time to return using the route from the North. We tried to get in contact with them using the mobile phone number supplied but it did not work.

All in all it was a great experience! We saw armadillos, iguanas, three black boars and two deer on the road! Recommendation: bring your own headlamp, and OFF for the mosquitoes!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We embarked on this tour not knowing what to expect. Initially, it was like most other tours - a lecture, getting in the boats, some scenery.... At first, it seemed like the glowing was a little over-stated. It wasn't quite dark and while you could see a sparkle here or there, nothing was spectacular. Then the light turned to dark and the water turned into glow juice. Mullets darted looking like green missiles, paddles splashed stirring a witches brew, bigger fish were fireworks. The sky seemed to be below us as a billion "stars" lit the night. A few mullet jumped in spectacular displays. This may well have been the most exciting kayak trip ever. My expectations usually run too high and I almost always walk away with some sense of disappointment. However, on this trip, I was excited two days later. There was no disappointment and I am ready to do it all over again!!!

1  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have seen fantastic bioluminescence glow in Puerto Rico and didn't even know that it occurred in Florida until I read about this tour group. I signed myself and my husband up for a tour for last night and was so excited to show him how beautiful this natural wonder was. We got very good email directions from the company and if you follow their directions you'll get there easily. There are dirt roads involved and no bathrooms, but you are advised of this in the email so you should be prepared. You are advised what to wear, what to bring and not bring; pay close attention to all of these details. Our group had 3 guides (one leader, one sweeper at the back, and one floater to help out as needed) and at least 20 people in about 15 double and single kayaks. There were at least 4 other groups of about 20, but they were all kept separate and started and ending their tours at different times, so it wasn't a problem. We were given life jackets, glow sticks (invaluable to keep sight of kayaks in front of you), and flashlights. The staff explained safety and paddling instructions before we got into the kayaks. We are retired folks and were able to keep up with the group, but some of the younger members often tried to see how fast they could go and sped in front of others causing what others joked about as "bumper kayaks." This was not discouraged. Unfortunately we saw no wildlife except for stinky sea grass that was picked up on our oars and fell on us. When we finally saw some bioluminescence, it was interesting but underwhelming. You could see it glow on the oars and when we dipped our hands in the water. I realize that this is a natural phenomenon and can't be predicted but it was disappointing. The guides could have done more to keep the group together and should have made sure that everyone was nearby when the leader gave his nature talks, as we couldn't hear much of what was going on. All in all, it was a fun trip and we learned that we are not too old for kayaking, but it wasn't quite as we expected.