“Really disappointed in this place. After they get your money, they DON'T CARE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Day Away Kayak Tours

A Day Away Kayak Tours
Ranked #1 of 12 Tours in Titusville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A Day Away Kayak offers tours seven days a week at various sites across Central Florida. Our base of operation is the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, one of the most diverse estuaries in North America. We frequently encounter manatees, dolphins and a large variety of birds. Enjoy the natural beauty of Florida with the best possible paddling experience at the best price available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Tampa, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Really disappointed in this place. After they get your money, they DON'T CARE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I wish I could comment on the bioluminescence itself, but we were unable to experience. This review is directed entirely at the company, their like of concern for safety, or customer service. We booked the bio tour for 3 for last night because there was also a meteor shower. We made the reservations in MAY, to be sure we got this specific night (this event was also played up on their web site). AFTER my credit card was charged, I got an email with some very sketchy directions . . . not only no street address (understandable for an activity like this), but they could not tell me the name of the road, the city it was in - or closest to, gps coordinates, nothing. I tried contacting them twice (by phone & by email) prior to our trip. I got an email reply with the same sketchy directions. I am usually good with directions so we tried to do this anyway. Our party was traveling in 2 different vehicles from 2 different locations. One person had to go completely OUT of his way in order to get to the START of their directions. Both vehicles were lost trying to find this place, and since they will provide NO gps or location information, it was impossible to tell if we were traveling in the right direction, or how far away we were. I eventually called their office to let them know we would not make it. They did offer to take us on a different night, & normally I would have considered this acceptable, but the person I spoke to was very rude. She asked a few questions & then told me that I obviously was late leaving. First of all, at this point we had been driving for over 2 hours. Second of all, how would I be able to determine when to leave anyway?? She then proceeded to tell me that I could reschedule but if it happened again, there would be nothing she could do. At this point, we were still considering going on a different night, so we decided to go find this place even after we missed our tour, so we would know where it was for future reference. One vehicle in our party did eventually find it (mine). Other problems with their directions (other than that they were inefficient to start with): (1) The email they send references a bridge (ON THE MAIN ROAD IN) that will be closed during the month of June. It is August, so I disregarded that & the bridge is still out. This affects the "closest" (accessible) city. (2) You must drive past a sign that states the areas you are entering is CLOSED after sunset , which, obviously is when you will be leaving for a night tour. (3) If/when you find it, it is at the END of a very ROUGH & isolated road. I drive a full size truck and wondered if it would make it. I found myself wondering if even AAA would go there. It did not appear to a very safe location at all. When I got to the actual launch site, my daughter did not even feel safe getting out of the car (& I really didn't either). It is important to note that we participate in a LOT of outdoor activities & are not the types to scare easily, but this place truly looked like a location for a horror movie. We both agreed that it was probably a blessing that we missed this. After learning more about their guides (my bad for not researching this better BEFORE we booked), I know that I would not have felt comfortable going on this tour in this isolated location with a company that is ran this way. I read a few reviews on that reference one kayak being left behind from the group or struggling against the currents and the guides not even noticing. While it is true that there are more good reviews posted than bad ones, I read the owner's response to all of the bad ones & ALL have a very harsh tone to them. I contacted the office today to request a refund but have not received a call back, nor do I expect to. I am disputing this charge with my credit card servicer, and providing them with a copy of the "directions" I was provided and pictures I took when I found this place. I will be hapy to provide this info to anyone else who cares to review it as well. AND, for those of you still considering going on this "adventure", let me do you a favor that the company REFUSES to. The gps coordinates are Latitude : 28.73094 (28°43′51.371″N), Longitude : -80.761 (80°45′39.614″W). Just make sure whatever you use to route you considers the Haulover Draw Bridge being out. It's a really a shame that those 2 pieces of information could have made a big difference for us. We spent $111 on 3 tickets, not to mention other travel expenses. I DONT live in the area & have returned home today, so what good will a credit do for me?? I also don't know when another bio tour will happen during a meteor shower. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE - STEER CLEAR.
All three member of our party will be posting our experience (or lack there of) & opinion through every avenue possible.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Celena40

Merritt Island, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went on a Night Bioluminescent Tour last night. Awesome! Weather was just right, a bit breezy, fending off any possible bugs. After all, this is Florida in August. Amy and Tim, our guides, were professional and curteous. Directions given by the website (you receive it after payment or reservation) were accurate (not an easy place to find otherwise, even though I live in Merritt Island).
If you like the water, starry skies, a bit of exercise and fresh air, this tour is a wonderful way to "let off steam" and enjoy. Very relaxing mentally. Bioluminescence is just an added bonus.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank msabul
Tampa, Florida, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wonderful Visit...a must do activity in the Space Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have always wanted to do this tour since I first read about it five years ago. I finally had the opportunity and was not disappointed. My family, including my husband and 13 year old son, and I went on the bioluminescent tour. The staff was friendly and professional. They were well organized and safety conscious. They provide excellent directions to the site including a warning to make a restroom stop at the interstate exit as there are no restrooms available once you get there. My husband, who can't swim and never kayaked before was nervous and put at ease by the staff. They provide safety equipment and give good initial instruction prior to going out in the water. The bioluminescent water was awesome! I would not recommend the evening tour for younger children however. There were some younger girls in our group who became very scared. Kudos to the staff for calming them down and staying with them.
I would love to go back and do a daytime tour by this group.

Visited July 2013
Titusville, Florida, Usa
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beaautiful Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The kayak tours is a must to anyone visiting the Space Coast. The spring and fall are very nice months because is not that hot but a late or early summer day is also nice. Is a good way to see the beauty of our land. Affordable and friendly staff.

Visited August 2012
Columbus, Ohio
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A magical night and great kayak experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I read about the bioluminescent tour in an airline magazine and I knew I had to try it. I made my reservation about a week before and the person on the phone was friendly and helpful. I got a detailed e-mail prior to the tour with directions and other helpful tips. The tour is in the Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge and is off the beaten path. We met at the boat launch and checked in, signed a release, and got a glow stick, paddle, and life jacket. We were split into two groups and then our guide gave us some basic rules and instructions. We then got into the kayaks and were off. There wasn't much to see at first, but as we paddled deeper into the reserve we began to see the glow, like little sparks coming off your hands and paddles as you swished them around. It was amazing and certain spots were definitely better than others. The guides were nice and informational. One caught a comb jelly for me to hold and as I shook it around in my hand it lit up! I released it back in the water before paddling on. It was about a two hour paddle and very relaxed. I hadn't kayaked in about 10 years and was a little nervous, but it was easy and fun. It was an amazing experience that I highly recommend.

Visited July 2013