“Not To Be Missed For Sure”

A Day Away Kayak Tours
Ranked #1 of 12 Tours in Titusville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A Day Away Kayak Tours is passionate about reconnecting man with nature and each other. We offer tours seven days a week at various sites across Central Florida, and most of our tours take place on the Merritt Isalad National Wildlife Refuge, one of the most diverse estuaries in North America. We frequently encounter manatees, dolphins and a large variety of birds. Enjoy the natural beauty of Florida with the best possible paddling experience at the best price available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
michaeldab
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Not To Be Missed For Sure”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I did this trip on 4/30/11 this was a great trip indeed I loved it very much infact taking anotherr friend on 5/28/11.
The Manatees and dolphins were so happy to see our group indeed

Visited April 2011
2 Thank michaeldab
abiygayle, Owner at A Day Away Kayak Tours, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Michael,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us and others know about your experience with us at A Day Away Kayak Tours. We highly value all input as we live in a social media driven world. Blessings to you and we look forward to getting you on the water again in the future.

Owner, A Day Away, Inc.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome Day with people who care about you and see the Space Shuttle”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

This past Thursday my son and I did the Space Shuttle Discovery STS-133 Launch tour. It was an awesome experience. We saw wildlife starting at the boat ramp with a dolphin. We were never further than 10 minutes from the launch viewing area but paddled in a protected from the wind lagoon. We spent a leisurely 2 1/2 hours is a very scenic area checking out wildlife instead of being surrounded but thousands of spectators trying to get a view of the Shuttle launch.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank OUTBACKBIKES
Greetings "Outback",

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us and others know about your experience with us at A Day Away Kayak Tours. We highly value all input as we live in a social media driven world and we do work hard to offer a great experience and it is nice to know when we hit the mark. Blessings to you and we look forward to getting you on the water again in the future.

Owner, A Day Away, Inc.
Orlando, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“OK But Would Never Pay Full Price”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I purchased a voucher from Living Social in 2010 for 50% off of a choice of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge tour, the Manatee Encounter tour or the Sunset tour from A Day Away tours. Each of these tours runs $32 according to A Day Away's website.

I chose the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge tour on Saturday, January 8, 2011. I called and made my reservation and received the emailed instructions/directions from A Day Away.

The Merritt Island kayak tour (2 hours in length) departs from the Haulover Canal area near the Haulover Canal bridge.

FYI, there are NO bathrooms at the departure point or outside the refuge visitor center so be aware. The nearby woods are your only option. This is not usually a problem for men but the ladies taking a tour might find it a challenge.

I drove down to the end of a very bumpy and poorly maintained dirt road, parked and met the 'guide'. A young guy, nice enough, but didnt have much to say or seemed very enthusiastic about the tour. I presented my voucher and that was all that was needed.

Once everyone arrived the guide had us stand in a circle around him as he went over some safety instructions and had us hold a paddle and showed us how to use it. This lasted all of 10 minutes. I would have preferred to sit in the kayak in shallow water for a moment to do this briefing.

After this we were all launched in the boats. I quickly got swept down the canal by the current and the wind and my guide never once noticed. I was able to get back to the group and the tour started.

We went down the Haulover canal at a rapid pace. We did stop only once at a boat launch to see if there were manatees in the area (there were none). The only thing to see on this tour was water and birds (osprey/pelicans/vultures/anhingas). Nothing more exotic than that. We did get lucky and saw a lone dolphin on the return trip back.

No attempt to 'guide' whatsoever by the guide. There was a sign in the A Day Away van stating that if you enjoyed your tour you could tip the guide. This was optional and there was no pressure to do so at the end of the tour.

I would have preferred the guide actually kept an eye on everyone as the group was very spread out in single and double kayaks. He forged ahead of everyone and hardly ever looked back to check on anyone. There was no description of what we were seeing or where we were heading. It was very bland. I would have the same experience had I been alone in a kayak paddling by myself.

The only excitement on the tour were the well-fed, local good 'ole boys sitting on the banks of the canal fishing and drinking. When our group passed by each of these people they stared at us like we had just landed from Mars. One generous fellow in overalls did offer to throw us some beer from the bank however....Also the many fishermen in boats were none too excited to see us approaching messing up their bait casting and fishing luck by disturbing the water. At least we weren't on jet skis. I wouldn't want to be a lone kayaker around these people as I detected we weren't their favorites.

The tour made a loop, going up the canal under the bridge and then circling and returning. As stated the trip took nearly 2 hours including the safety briefing at the start.

I'm very glad I did this activity but would never pay $32 for this experience. It did let me know how to use a kayak to cruise the water. I may do more in the future by myself now that I know how easy it is.

You will actually see more of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and many many more birds of greater varieties (including alligators, of which there are none on the Haulover Canal area - too much boat traffic scares them away) simply by driving on the Black Point Wildlife Drive which is seven miles in length and free to enter by car.

I would also recommend the beautiful Canaveral National Seashore which is adjacent to the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge ($3 per person daily entry fee). For those so inclined, there is an unofficial nude beach called Playalinda on the far northern end of the Seashore.

Visited January 2011
5 Thank Floridaroadtrip
boston
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“We even got to pat a manatee”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

This past weekend my husband and I went kayaking with A Day Away Kayak Tours. We took their Manatee Encounter Kayak Tour. What a great day! It goes out of Merrit Island National Refuge, and it is just a wonderful area. We had never been in the park before, but it turned out to be an incredible oasis from the theme park scene of central Florida. It took us just over an hour to get there. It's all highway on a toll road. It is really a world away, not just a day away! We saw many kinds of birds, and even a couple of alligators. We loved the whole area and being able to pat a manatee just topped off the adventure.

Greetings "greymomBoston",

Love your Trip Advisor handle! I know you paddle last year with us but just wanted to drop a note to say thank you so much for taking the time to let us and others know about your experience with us at A Day Away Kayak Tours. We highly value all input as we live in a social media driven world. We work hard to offer a great experience and it is nice to know when we hit the mark. Blessings to you and we look forward to getting you on the water again in the future.

Owner, A Day Away, Inc.ngs "greymomBoston",

Love your Trip Advisor handle!
Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Trip was fine, but ...”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I went on the night time tour during the second week of August 2010. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had a nice experience with a group of about 70 people. The guides were well organized and had good control.
I was not happy to find out that since I had bought 2 trips, I had to "share" a double kayak. I was told that if I did not like it ... I could get my money back. ( My 2 other friends got single kayaks.)

1 Thank HaveFun21