“Reviewing it as a National Park....”

Canaveral National Seashore
Ranked #2 of 39 things to do in Titusville
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I suppose that I'm coming at this from a different point of view than other reviewers who seem to be focusing on the wonderful qualities of the beach. I was looking at it from the point of view of visiting a national park.
Just as others have said, the beach itself is lovely and quiet. We visited on a Sunday afternoon during the summer when one could reasonably expect it to be busy but it wasn't. The seashells were nice to hunt for and it was nice to see the quiet secluded beach. And yes, that was partly why we were there.
But I like to bug (I mean educate) my child by taking her to different national parks so that she can learn things and in that sense I was fairly disappointed by our visit. We got there fairly late in the afternoon and the man at the north gates said we should stop by the visitor center so we did. I asked for some information and the visitor laconically pointed out there were brochures on the wall. Okayyyy......the educational exhibit seemed to consist of a set of things you could find on the beach and a few drawers that you could pull out to look at things without much of an explanation. The volunteer later showed my daughter some turtle shells. It looked like there was an educational video that could be played but it wasn't offered or we'd have explained. I asked if there were any presentations or tours or things offered by the rangers. I was told no because school was back in session for the local school kids. No actually it wasn't for another week and in any case it was the weekend. And in any case, at every other national park that I've been to they've offered educational programing even when the schoolkids are back in school because hey grown-ups might want to learn something too! Maybe it was on a reduced schedule due to fewer visitors but still.
As a beach, it seemed nice and quiet. Rustic facilities but less crowded and nice for that reason.
As an educational opportunity, it fell really really flat.

4  Thank teachermomVirginia

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Although quite a trek off the beaten path, this site was WELL worth it. The sand is great, the water was cool and refreshing. There were a handful of fisherman and maybe 2 dozen other beachgoers on a Sunday afternoon. The sand is mostly shallow, so you can wade out quite a ways.

We drove in and parked in parking structure #9, after entering at Playalinda. The facilities at the parking lot were locked.

The only thing I would have changed would be to pack a cooler so that I could stay longer. You will want to stay for lunch and then some and enjoy the afternoon at this beautiful beach!

1  Thank Kristina2998
Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you want to see what a natural beach in Florida looks like, you should take the time to drive out to Playalinda Beach at the Canaveral Natural Seashore east of Titusville. The drive to the beach takes you through parts of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. A great side trip on the way is the Black Point Wildlife Drive. The entrance to the beach itself is near Pad 39B at the Kennedy Space Center. While these pads are no longer in use since the Space Shuttles were retired, it's still interesting. There are 13 parking areas with dune crossovers. Be aware that with possibly one exception, there are no life guards. Also, if you happen to venture all the way to the north end (Parking Area 13), you may run into nude sunbathers. Bring plenty of sun screen, drinks, and snacks.....no concessions, but there are restrooms at the parking areas. Five dollar per car entrance fee, but well worth it....enjoy!

4  Thank FL-fire-guy
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We go a couple of times a month. It's nice because its not overly crowded. Fun for the whole family, swim surf or fish

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you like the seashore without the commercial atmosphere, this just might be for you. I live near this beach and have visited it many times over the years. It is a "National Seashore" park and has a $5 per car entrance fee. There are about 14 or so parking areas with ample parking and rest room facilities (on the primitive side). Families should not go past parking area 13 since North of there seems to be "clothing optional" although it is NOT supposed to be. Many folks surf fish along the beach and logger head sea turtles can be seen some evenings during the summer. Check at the visitor center on the road to the beach from Titusville for details. It is best to visit around low tide since the beach is somewhat skimpy during high tide.

1  Thank jim a