“Best pizza I've had in San Diego”
Review of Pizzeria Luigi

Pizzeria Luigi
Ranked #333 of 5,165 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Oh the woes of being an east coaster (NJ here) living in San Diego...well, as far as Italian cuisine is concerned anyway. So, pizza. After much consideration, I've placed Luigi's above Bronx pizza. Close call though.
I find Luigi's toppings slightly edge out Bronx's. [I'm dying to know who's riccotta cheese Luigi's uses...sooo good.] Luigi's has a swell beer selection, too, so good for eating in, though I usually just pick up to go.
It's not 100% dead on insofar as much as NY style is concerned...something not quite there in the sauce, but can't figure it out...this Jersey girl can attest to that at least. But it's as good as it gets in San Diego and I'm content there. Otherwise, I wouldn't be writing this!

Reviewed June 25, 2009

The trick to getting "NY style" pizza in SoCal is the dough. Luigi uses bottled water to make his dough, which makes it better than any place that uses disgusting tap water. Plus, you can sip on a delicous Chimay (the blue, too) while enjoying your pie. I'm from the Tri-State area, and this is the closest I've had yet. I drive 30 minutes to get ther quite often...

Reviewed June 24, 2009

I am a huge pizza buff. I honestly eat pizza at least 5 times a week, every week. I happened to be in San Diego on my birthday, June 11th of this year. I saw Luigi's on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-in's and Dives. The host, Guy Fieri really seemed to love the pizza so I was very excited to try it while I was there. My wife and I went around 4:30 in the afternoon so the place wasn't busy. We ordered a whole pizza instead of slices so it would be fresh. I was very disappointed with what we got. In my opinion what really makes a pizza great is a flavorful crust and high quality cheese and toppings. Luigi's didn't have any of that. The crust and the cheese was as bland as any I've ever eaten. The pizza wasn't bad, but it was very mediocre. To give you an idea of pizza that I like a few of my favorites are: Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, John's of Bleeker St in NYC, Flipper's in Orlando, UNO's Chicago Pizzeria, Hungry Howies and Fat Tony's in Wilmington, NC. As you can see I don't have a thin or thick crust bias. I just like it to have some flavor. If you like any of the places I mentioned, please don't eat at Luigi's thinking you'll get something similar because you won't.

Reviewed June 6, 2009

I'm a New Yorker, born, raised and lived there as an adult for many years: Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn. I know good thin crust New York style pizza. Luigi's has it. I've also tried Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest and Brooklyn Pizzeria on Mission Gorge Road, Allied Gardens. they're "OK," but fageddabout 'em. Luigi's is, without question, THE BEST NYC thin crust style pizza in San Diego. It has just the right amount of red sauce, just the right amount of mozzarella cheese and most importantly, the right amount of olive oil that drips off the slice as you eat it.

Problem with Luigi's is, it's also become pretty popular, so often there's a line out the door and you have to wait a long time, even to pick up a pizza you ordered over the phone. They are the victims of their own success.

Still, if you're a New Yorker, even a transplanted one, and you want a slice in San Diego that will transport you back to the City, Luigi's is it.

Reviewed April 12, 2009

Fantastic thin crust pizza ! Tried the place about 8p on a weeknight and there was a line until 10 ! but it moves quickly. We created our own pizza and it was superb; fresh ingredients, generously portioned. An outstanding value not to be missed in San Diego. I believe they only take cash.