“Always good”

Order Online
Ranked #1,426 of 5,726 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 23, 2019

My wife and I were out running some errands and had the craving for Mexican food. We have eaten in several locations belonging to this chain and have always enjoyed our meal.
This one is in a strip mall, making parking very easy. The exterior, and interior are both clean. The interior of this particular restaurant is a little nicer than most in the chain. There was a short line to order the food and it was taken care of quickly, the staff were very friendly and professional.
Our food was delivered quickly and as expected very good. You can always get a good meal here and it is highly recommended

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

Only went here for the connection to blink-182 they have a few pictures in the corner and there is some stuff in the toilet still. Food was pretty decent and the staff where friendly

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed June 23, 2018

Took whole family to dinner, walked from hotel. Great food, fast service and a place for kids to move around after eating. we had some of just about everything, group of 15, all was good. Chips and salsa were great.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We regularly use this El Sombrero from 20 years ago when we stayed at the very close Residence Inn waiting to close on our San Diego house. Great then, and great now.....when we are once again at the hotel because we are tenting the house.

My son and wife both like the two item combo, and in our last time, my son had the fish taco and chicken enchilada while my wife ordered the chile relleno. I chose the carnitas dinner. Drinks come with these, and all of us had aguas frescos, which are quite good.

And there are still some very nice murals in this somewhat larger iteration of the chain.

But obviously this go to neighborhood place is not limited to residents of the hotel but to "locals" like us. And wait, there's more. If you buy a dozen doughnuts at Sesame Doughnut, a long time time favorite among locals, you can get a discount at El Sombrero. What a deal to begin with, and what a better deal with the discount.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

Truth be told,the only reason I visited Sombrero was because of the blink-182 song “Josie”. But the food is pretty good. I now go a few times a year, anytime I’m down in San Diego. They’ve got pretty good carne asada fries and the California burrito isn’t half bad. I also like the cinnamon chips and they sell. Whether or not you’re a blink-182 fan, you should try out Mexican food from Sombrero just because, yeah just because.

Date of visit: February 2018