“Yummy! And I'm Vietnamese!”
Review of Saigon on Fifth

Saigon on Fifth
Ranked #651 of 4,959 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Been a while since I've been here, maybe a year. In San Diego, going to a "nice" Vietnamese restaurant isn't so common. Why pay more for something that probably tastes better elsewhere right? But! Saigon on Fifth, though it costs more than the average San Diego Vietnamese restaurant, is quite delicious. You're paying for both the food and the ambiance. Is it worth it? I think so. The service was great and the my picky Vietnamese palate approves! If you never had Vietnamese food before, this would be a good place to start. Parking in this neighborhood of Hillcrest can be tough so save some extra time to find parking.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The food lack authentic flavor. It was not original. Good place to bring a date if you want to impress her. Overall, average. I had better at Phung Trang.

1  Thank Jooony
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Traveling with a group of friends, we happened upon Saigon on Fifth on a recommendation from one of our pals. What a perfect setting for a long, delicious meal of shared entrees. From beef to shrimp, from chicken to pork, from tofu to eggplant, we ordered separately and passed around dishes. Every dish was a delight! I think the yellow curry with chicken was my favorite, but everything was marvelous. The eggplant dish was a taste of summer in the midst of February. Cocktails were creative and appreciated. The atmosphere and decor were serene and the service was attentive without being intrusive. If I had only one night in San Diego, and I've been there often, Saigon on Fifth is without a doubt my first & only choice!

1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We come here often; Vietnamese dishes are great, very authentic tasting! Atmosphere, decor, and layout is nice. Only downside is the prices are little on the high side for Vietnamese dishes, but hey it's a nice place.

Parking structure with validation is sure nice in this area of very little available street parking.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant owned and run by family who take great pride in their establishment. We dined there twice during our visit. The salad rolls are made with basil leaves, adding a lovely change of taste from establishments who make their's with lettuce leaves. The special rice served Ina carved pineapple had a lovely flavour and texture,as did the chicken clay pot (although a bit too sweet at times), vermicelli also very nice. Service is very attentive.