“Great food nice lunch on the patio”
Review of Taste of Italy - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Taste of Italy
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My first time there it was great. They have lunch specials if you go for lunch. I had the cheese raviolis they were very good it also came with salad & bread. We ordered a cheese bread for appetizer & that was the best part. I can't wait to go again with my sister she is a regular. She likes the torpedo sandwich & my friend had the lasagna it looked good too. They were very friendly & even brought me crackers so my baby would stay busy while we ate our salads which was nice of them. I will return again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Flavorful food, fairly fast service. A bit expensive for what it offers. OK for a meal but not memorable.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Everything about this place is pretty much blah. It's mediocre on every level.

The food is, of course, the most important thing to consider, and it's nothing special. It's not the sort of thing I would send back or say was inedible, but it's pretty bland. And I've had the same experience the 3 times I've gone there. As an example, the chicken parmigiana sandwich is just not that great. The chicken is thin and kind of dry, and the bread is what you taste the most. The sauce tastes just like you would expect out of a jar, and the cheese is low quality. Even the diet Pepsi was a bit flat. Unfortunately, I could make a better sandwich at home. I don't know what they're doing back in the kitchen (except the minimum possible to call it Italian food).

For ambiance, it's also nothing special, The inside is claustrophobic, and wherever you sit you feel like you're next to the kitchen. It's always a bit stuffy. The outside patio in front is fine, at least you get some fresh air and can people watch, but the bar next door can be loud and distracting.

As for service, that's also nothing special. Never rude, but never more than the basics of taking the order and bringing the food.

San Diego is not the best for Italian food in general, but there are several places that do a better job, whether it's a few blocks away or in Little Italy. Maybe it's the good location that keeps them in business. It's certainly not the food.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I went here several months back and had an ok dinner. A friend and I went this past Friday night and I walked away with a very pleasant memory. The service was attentive, friendly and timely. We ordered the sauteed mushrooms as an appetizer...quite tasty. I tried the "Vampire" cocktail and have to admit...not too shabby! =)

I ordered the cheese tortellini with bolognese sauce. PERFECT! Really...I mean PERFECT! Simple dish, but you would be amazed at how many places screw it up. Taste of Italy did it PERFECT. The portion was a little large....so had leftovers the next night. All in all....I would recommend this place and plan on going back soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2010

Made to feel really welcome - nothing was too much trouble. Both our food & wine were excellent - All 3 main courses had an individual unique signature flavour. Only minor disappointment was the coffee which was rather weak but we were not charged for it when we mentioned it to the waiter. We will certainly be going again.