“Excellent meal, Good value”

Shakespeare Pub and Grille
Ranked #277 of 4,804 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Excellent meal, Good value”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I, together with our son and daughter-in-law decided we wanted an "English" meal. Our daugher-in-law had never heard of steak and kidney pie or a Cornish Pasty. After a quick search, we found the Shakespeare Pub and Grill.

I ordered the steak and kidney pie and was definitely not disappointed. Great flavour, crust was flakey. Chips were full of flavour and came with a bottle of malt vinegar! The peas tasted fresh.

My son and wife both ordered pasties and were very impressed. Our daughter-in-law ordered the chicken curry and loved it.

The service was efficient and friendly. I can't wait to visit this establishment again, hopefully while there is a football match on tv!

• Visited August 2013

Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Food and Atmosphere Give a Touch of England in Beautiful San Diego”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

When in San Diego, Shakespeare’s is a great place to relax with some great food and drink as well as enjoy some of the finest British goods found outside of the U.K.
With a fantastic pub and shop, guests can dine or enjoy the finest of British ales, beers, and spirits either inside or on the enjoyable patio outside for those looking to enjoy the sun.
From the great décor including the humor cartoons in the restrooms and the friendly service, everything about Shakespeare’s is warm and inviting.
As a person who has a mother from Scotland and several relatives on the other side of the pond, the ability to get proper Sheppards Pie and Chips complete with the signatures peas was amazing. After a long drive over from AZ, the enjoyable lunch options were a delight. MY wife chose the fish and chips which are amongst the best you will find anywhere. The hearty portions even came with a side of gravy upon request. I decided to go one step further and got HP Brown sauce as well which is an absolute must.
From the Plowmans and traditional options to the amazing burgers and chips the menu has something for all tastes even those not quite ready to take on British cuisine. The chips were amazing as they were hand cut and had the perfect texture and taste for chips which recalled my grandmothers of my youth.
While I was not able to sample it on this trip, a traditional British Breakfast is also an option for those looking to start their day off with a hearty meal.
The locale also offers the best football matches live via satellite for expatriots looking or a taste of home. There is also a trivia night which promises to be an event not to miss.
At the other side of the compound, the shop offers an amazing High Tea with a dazzling selection of teas that will delight the senses. There are also several options for British souveniers and health and beauty aids such as Dettol, Germioline, and others. I for one was thrilled to find my favorite Pot Noodles as well as the scores of Walkers Crips and the candy and chocolate presented countless options as did the cookies, crackers, and delights of all sorts.
There was even a meat pie section as well as frozen delights. Shakespeare’s even offers Christmas specials such as Christmas Cake straight from the U.K.
We had a truly enjoyable stop and look forward to our next visit. I cannot recommend Shakespeare’s enough both for the shopping and for the fantastic food.

• Visited April 2013

Diner from San Diego
Joined Jul 2011
Just OK
DINER REVIEW • MAY 20, 2013
Fish and chips - I had been wanting to try this place for some time. Finally made it on Saturday night. After checking I made the recommended reservations for 5PM. I'm an old guy. Myself and my friend ordered the fish and chips, my favorite and Shakespeare's signature dish.
The dish came with a generous portion of fish, most likely Cod, a heaping portion of french fries and peas. I like peas; however, I had never seen them served before with an order of fish and chips. An English custom, no doubt. I'm not a professional food critique or cook; however, I think the fish was probably frozen. The fries were so-so.
The meal came on a small oval plate barely large enough to contain the food. The plate left no room for the provided condiments. The size made cutting the fish difficult without spilling.
Service was very good. The server was knowledgeable and good natured. We opted to sit outside. If I had to do again, I'd sit indoors.
The food was good enough and hearty and the price was decent. I guess with my anticipation I was just expecting more. I'd go back but I'd try other dishes perhaps. Bottom line, the fish and chips were no better than other restaurants serving same.

• Visited May 2013
“The place to watch soccer”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Wanted a good location to watch English football and found it.

Great breakfast with proper Heinz baked beans and HP sauce. Very friendly staff and good facilities for watching the game

Tempe, Arizona
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you're looking for somewhere to eat that isn't your usual run of the mill food chain, Shakespeare pub and grill is the place for you! Fish and chips were good (not great), but the shephards pie was to die for. The atmosphere really makes this place, awesome patio view.

Visited March 2013