“Great Food and Atmosphere Give a Touch of England in Beautiful San Diego”

Shakespeare Pub and Grille
Ranked #241 of 5,274 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2013

When in San Diego, Shakespeare’s is a great place to relax with some great food and drink as well as enjoy some of the finest British goods found outside of the U.K.
With a fantastic pub and shop, guests can dine or enjoy the finest of British ales, beers, and spirits either inside or on the enjoyable patio outside for those looking to enjoy the sun.
From the great décor including the humor cartoons in the restrooms and the friendly service, everything about Shakespeare’s is warm and inviting.
As a person who has a mother from Scotland and several relatives on the other side of the pond, the ability to get proper Sheppards Pie and Chips complete with the signatures peas was amazing. After a long drive over from AZ, the enjoyable lunch options were a delight. MY wife chose the fish and chips which are amongst the best you will find anywhere. The hearty portions even came with a side of gravy upon request. I decided to go one step further and got HP Brown sauce as well which is an absolute must.
From the Plowmans and traditional options to the amazing burgers and chips the menu has something for all tastes even those not quite ready to take on British cuisine. The chips were amazing as they were hand cut and had the perfect texture and taste for chips which recalled my grandmothers of my youth.
While I was not able to sample it on this trip, a traditional British Breakfast is also an option for those looking to start their day off with a hearty meal.
The locale also offers the best football matches live via satellite for expatriots looking or a taste of home. There is also a trivia night which promises to be an event not to miss.
At the other side of the compound, the shop offers an amazing High Tea with a dazzling selection of teas that will delight the senses. There are also several options for British souveniers and health and beauty aids such as Dettol, Germioline, and others. I for one was thrilled to find my favorite Pot Noodles as well as the scores of Walkers Crips and the candy and chocolate presented countless options as did the cookies, crackers, and delights of all sorts.
There was even a meat pie section as well as frozen delights. Shakespeare’s even offers Christmas specials such as Christmas Cake straight from the U.K.
We had a truly enjoyable stop and look forward to our next visit. I cannot recommend Shakespeare’s enough both for the shopping and for the fantastic food.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Wanted a good location to watch English football and found it.

Great breakfast with proper Heinz baked beans and HP sauce. Very friendly staff and good facilities for watching the game

Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you're looking for somewhere to eat that isn't your usual run of the mill food chain, Shakespeare pub and grill is the place for you! Fish and chips were good (not great), but the shephards pie was to die for. The atmosphere really makes this place, awesome patio view.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Right off I-5 near the airport, the Shakespeare has a great selection of beer and food - almost too many choices for an ex-pat to have to choose from. Sat outside on the patio and got great service while watching the world go by. There's a good selection of British staples - sausage & mash, pub curries, ploughmans, steak & kidney pie, the ubiquitous fish & chips and the rarer scotch egg. They have Old Speckled Hen on tap and a range of other fine ales. Looks like they have a decent kids menu too.

The valet parking helps in a busy neighborhood where parking doesn't seem to be easy.

Worth a visit and I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The husband and I walked to this snazzy little gem from our hotel. We both ordered Fish and Chips and they were by far the best we've had compared to franchised Americana fish and chip wannabe places. The fish was tender and moist and not a mushy piece on the giant slab, (Portions were HUGE). The fries were very tasty and plentiful.
For drinks- I just had the ice tea. My only issue is that the ice had a bit of freezer burn smell to it, but not the taste.It was not an issue for me as it did not overwhelm my tea or dinner experience.In all honesty I'm one of those people who smell everything. My husband had one of the beers (Heffeweizen), he liked it. I sampled it, while beer is not my thing, it was actually pretty good.
We arrived at the place about 4:30/5pm. It must have been the earlybird dinner serving time. Lots of older couples and groups. It was loud, but not annoyingly so, it's a Pub.
The service was efficient (no indifferent young twits here) and no complaints here. I would definitely go back and recommend this place. This place was great for that post-airport dinner. I have no doubt we will hit this place again at least once before we leave.