Sam Woo BBQ Restaurant
Ranked #2,433 of 4,891 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My better half and I have only been thru the take-out portion side of the restaurant. And let me tell you that if this is just a glimpse of what the sit-down side is, then she & I will have to definitely try that other side. Although the portions are very ample on the take-out, we need to taste and compare what we have been missing all this time. Then my review of Sam Woo's BBQ Restaurant will be complete...

1  Thank Sofital

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Been visiting Sam Woo since 1997 and my most recent one was in Dec 2012. The place is always packed with people. The place is ordinary Chinese restaurant with just so so service, but the food always taste yummy. Love the BBQ (of course its their specialties), pork chops & salt pepper squid. Portions are huge.
Will definitely return.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Glad to see that many folks who'd probably end up going to PF Chang's finding this place. Sam Woo has been a staple of the LA area since the immigration of Chinese during the 80s. This is one restaurant that is still in business, and definitely the food is still consistently good, even if this is far away from the Chinese enclaves of LA.

I came here with a friend who lives in an area without good Chinese food (Ventura). Had the sweet and sour soup, "dau miu" and seafood chow mein, and for some reason, I was in awe. While I wish SW would get with the times and take credit cards (many of the other Chinese businesses do take CCs hello), the food is the redemption.

Avoid places like China Max on Convoy and come here (strange how that restaurant is there, and there are many non-Asians eating there). San Diego is lucky to have SW and 99 Market in one place.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I've been to most Chinese restaurants in the area and Sam Woo is the best for good quality at low prices. Service is quick and there are many choices. Have been coming here for 15 years.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

As San Diego natives, my husband and I frequently go to Sam's when we go to the Ranch 99 supermarket, which is hands down the best Chinese supermarket in the city by the way. Sam's is a small, diner type restaurant that has an extensive menu. Most of the foods can be served at various levels from spicy to mild. The customer service is brusque but efficient. Wait times can be long on weekends and at lunch because this place is legendary.