“OK food, bad service”

Sushiya
Ranked #1,582 of 5,743 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went there for lunch, and were hoping for a quiet lunch place where we can converse. The place was noisy. The food was ok, and the price was ok. The service was very poor. The waitress was surly, and had to call her several times for a refill of hot tea. After 2 refills, she gave me a pot with half a cup left, which I believe she took from another party who just left. They had about 4 lunch specials which was good for the price.

Date of visit: April 2013

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We never miss eating here when we are in San Diego. The Sushi is fresh and fantastic and tempura is great too! Half price sushi all the time...can't go wrong.

Date of visit: October 2012
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I really love the value at this place. The sushi is fresh and the prices are amazing. This restaurant was a midpoint between the house of my "walking buddy" and my house so we often would walk from her house to mine or vice versa with this as our "break" as we would stop and eat sushi. Alas she moved yet I still frequent the restaurant and recommend it to everyone. I love the rainbow roll, the garlic edamame and the snow crab. I've also enjoyed other items on the menu and have never been disappointed. It is my top sushi destination because of quality and the fantastic value you get. I had a friend visiting from out of town and she was planning to meet a friend for sushi. She gave me names of two different locations and I told her to go to sushiya. She returned with nothing but compliments.

The service, unfortunately, can be slow at times. While you eventually get your food, there are times you see someone enter the restaurant after you only to get served before you. I have also had to flag people down to get extra ginger or another glass of water. The place gets slammed with customers as there is often a wait for a table around the dinner hour. Never the less, there isn't always the steps of service performed (namely the check back to ensure quality). However, this little "nit" is not enough to make me not go there for sushi or to stop recommending the place. If they could just get this adjusted, it would be better than just very good...it would be amazing.

Date of visit: August 2012
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Sushi - The special rolls are especially good. They are nicely prepared. Taste good. And are very reasonably priced. You won't find this type of roll at such a good price anywhere else in San Diego.

Ambience - Noisy and crowded most of the time. Not exactly a romantic dinner restaurant. But the sushi is good. I would not go here for a special occasion.

Service - Very slow at the tables. Servers are polite, but not very attentive. If you have plenty of time, the service is adequate. But don't sit at a table if you are in a hurry. The service at the sushi bar is very good. Sit at the sushi bar if you want good service. It's also a bit quieter at the sushi bar.

Parking - There is plenty of free parking right in front.

Cleanliness - I'm fussy about hygiene. This place meets my standards.

Clientele - Mostly young people - 20's ~ 40's.

Date of visit: April 2012
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My spicy tuna roll was delicious. My only complaint is that most of their "fancy" rolls had crab in them. Not just a few - nearly every single one. Service was okay, but not great. I had to ask for both water and my check. In summary, I recommend going for lunch, but I probably would have felt like I overpaid at dinner.

Date of visit: March 2012