“Great calamari!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had the calamari, shrimp tacos and scallop tacos. Everything was very fresh and tasted great, but the calamari stood out as our favorite. The portions were very generous to the point we couldn't finish everything. There was a line, but it moved quickly. Definitely worth trying this place when in San Diego.

1  Thank Leik77
Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great little place. The fish tacos and calamari were super fresh and tasty. The staff was very nice. Ballast point beers on tap was icing on the cake.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

The food was absolutely divine. We had large, fresh, butterflied fried shrimp with breading so light as to be almost undetectable. The cheesy bread is exquisite with unique fresh herbs. Generous portions. Reasonably priced. Not so much ambience. Get there before 6:30 to avoid lengthy wait.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

On a recent business trip, my travel partner and I tried this place out of the blue...no pun intended. I could live here!

Blue Water Seafood pays attention to the most important thing...quality of food. The fish on display had me reeling with excitement as I stood in line to place my order. There is nothing frilly about this place, it is the real deal, a fish market that serves the best fish I have ever had. I ordered two tacos, Mahi Mahi and Red Snapper...over 4 oz of fish on each taco...smothered with cabbage and their sauce it was such a delight to sit and eat on the cozy outdoor 'porch'.

They serve Ballast Point beer and have a pretty good selection of wine for a small fish market.

The service was top notch albeit down to earth...they just cared and I could tell they were proud to work there...they should be, it is awesome! You definitely have to try this place out, you will not be let down. Trust me.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was in San Diego with a friend. We had checked Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (TV Program) and saw a review for this restaurant.

It is unusual because you stand in line at a counter to place your order from a list of 5 or 6 seafood items that they will grill with the marinade of your choice. There is a small list of side dishes you can order . . . . ala carte . . . . plus different sodas, wines and beers. After placing your order, you take drinks to a table and wait for the food to be delivered to you.

We had 2 sodas, a bowl of clam chowder, one scallop plate and one red snapper plate. The clam chowder was the best that I have ever eaten . . . . . no doubt about it. The platters were quite large and the food was very good. If were ever return, we will probably each get a bowl of clam chowder and split a platter. The onion rings at the next table looked like something to die for so we would probably have a side of rings too. Our check was $50.49 before tip.

Parking is on the street but we found a spot in less than 5 minutes. The place was almost full when we left around 8:00 pm and there was a short line. They did a lot of takeout with locals calling their order in . . . . . . They have a strict policy of not allowing anyone with a phone in order to take a table.