“Great hotel for families”

Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley
Ranked #115 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
California
“Great hotel for families”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night with a family of five. The hotel was recently updated. It's clean and well maintained.

Staff:
Sasha Myrom:
I was checked in by the friendly Sasha and got to spin the wheel for extra Marriott points. Painless and quick!

Maria Mejia:
I needed some butter for cooking my veggies. I went to the front desk and asked as I knew they would have some for the breakfast buffet. Maria was pretty busy at the time and told me she would check it out when she had the time. Five minutes later, she found me by the fire and handed me the butter. Very good service and follow up!

Rooms:
Clean and comfortable. Included all items for cooking. Flat screen TVs. We had two in our one bedroom.

Breakfast:
Complete breakfast with eggs, waffles, biscuits/gravy, cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, etc. It's a really nice spread at no cost.

Pool / BBQ area:
This is what makes this hotel so good if you have kids. The pool is heated to 80 degrees and the spa is hot. They have towels at the pool so you don't need to bring ones from your room. There is a gas fire place with lounge type seating. It's a perfect place to hang, have some adult bevs and consume some apps. The five burner Bull BBQ is legit. It also has a Bull mini frig. The BBQ area has a granite bar type area to lay out all the food. It's just like an outdoor kitchen you would find in a backyard. The sports court is also great for the kids. At one point I counted 15+ kids having a blast playing basketball. We brought our own basketball, but I assume they have one at the front desk. They also have a ping pong table with paddles at the front desk.

Overall:
I would highly recommend this hotel for families. Clean, well maintained, great staff and nice amenities.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Kit B, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such terrific feedback on your visit. I would also like to thank you for mentioning Sasha and Maria for their efforts. We are very excited to have completed our full property renovation and continue to provide outstanding accommodations for our guests.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to give your comments. I will make sure we recognize Sasha and Maria at our upcoming team meeting.

Kit Butler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Castaic, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We are in San Diego for my husband's surgery at scripps hospital, it has been a very stressful time. So glad we chose this hotel, we have a gorgeous room so quite, very pleasant front desk person. My son spoke with the manager Maria prior to our visit, she was so very accommodating. Customer service is as good as the rooms are beautiful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Julia,

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our brand new room! We are excited to have our renovation completed and to hear feedback like yours.

Our entire team works very hard to make sure we continue providing top notch service and a first class room and it sounds like we accomplished this again.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay and I hope we will be able to host you on your next visit to San Diego, and we wish your husband a speedy recovery!

Kit Butler
Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The only thing better than a Residence in when I am am traveling is a newly remodeled one. I love this hotel. The staff is always friendly. I really like it when a hotel is well maintained. The breakfast was great. I enjoy how clean it felt the rooms are comfortable with that fresh new feeling. The bed was great for a perfect nights rest.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
sasha M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Sean

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you can come see us again in the near future.

Best Regards
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a Marriott Residence Inn, and it has been of choice of accommodation lately. I should say it suits very well for our family of four. I won't delve much into RI, and having stayed in 5 RI's in the past 2 years, I should say they are pretty much standard. Basically we like the full kitchen, the separated living area from the bedroom, the amenities (pool/hot tub), and the full hot breakfast.

So what is different? The good part is that the hotel is being renovated, and looked quite fresh, in my opinion. We stayed in another RI in the same trip, so we could compare. We noticed the new carpets (rooms and hallway), new furnishings in the room, and the nice (external) pool area and hot tub.

We got a very good rate - less than $100/day for the Christmas/NY week. It was basically the cost of a Travelodge + breakfast for four, so it was almost a no brainer.

The surrounding area is a business area, feeling quite safe. A bunch of dining options nearby. Not to mention that it located a couple of miles from La Jolla.

We also love RI's full hot breakfast. Biscuit and gravy, sausage, eggs, and the now ubiquitous waffle machines (with blueberry toppings).

What we did not like? Well, breakfast is great, if you can actually manage to get some. It seems that the dining area and the food production were not scaled to the large amount of guests (probably lured by the low rates). However, the last day, they seem to open a new space for breakfast, so things look very promising.

I think the biggest issue for most travelers could be the location in terms of distance to major attractions. I should say that we were able to get to most of places in San Diego in about 20 minutes drive, so distance was never an issue - although I should say that we never hit traffic of any sort. Things could be different in other time of the year.

All in all, we were very happy with our stay. I would definitely recommend the place, if the rate is right, and if we don't need to stay too close to major attractions. I actually prefer to stay a bit farther and have a better accommodations with better rates.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
sasha M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear wdl,

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are all so very proud of the way our hotel is looking with the new renovation. With the updated rooms, expanded Breakfast area – which I assume is the area you mentioned opened up on your last day visiting us- and our expanded lobby/market area, we anticipate being able to meet our guest’s needs quicker and more comfortably.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review and hopefully your family has the chance to visit us again real soon
San Francisco
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stay at quite a few Residence Inn's and this one is one of the better ones. The property is very good and the rooms were clean. The staff is really good particularly the breakfast crew. The pool and basketball area are good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear ConstantTravller74,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Hopefully you can come back and see us again soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for two nights with two rooms. The rooms are above-average as they were recently renovated with new decor and new appliances. Lobby was still under renovation, so don't know how it looked. The business center was not done, which was disappointing because we were hoping to look up some information on the internet on their computers. Overall, the staff was nice and friendly, with the exception of one staff member who worked the front desk (older Caucasian man), who was very curt and rude. He seemed like he did not want to be working there and had a disposition that is completely opposite of what you would want to have for someone working in the hospitality industry. He made me feel very unwelcomed as a guest.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
sasha M, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear CPLaw,

I am very pleased you enjoyed the new look and feel of our rooms.
I do apologize that the Business Center was down during your stay though and that you experienced less then acceptable reception from the Front Desk Associate. We will certainly use your review as training exercises and hope that you are able to revisit us again soon.

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing us a review.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I got a chance to be one of their first customers to stay at their newly done Refurbished rooms at Residence Inn Marriott.

Pros
1. The rooms are excellently done
2. New Appliances are present.
3. The colour of the room looks simply awesome.
4. The staff courtesy is impressive
5. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
6. Nice fire place in the studio rooms.
7. Pool and Jacuzzi operational
8. Gym is undergoing a re-furbishing.
9. Limo booking is also easy!!
10. You get evening snacks on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Awesome Beer/Wine :) This is a real + point of staying in Marriott

Cons
1. The television sets haven't been replaced in most of the rooms. Although they have new TV's but they don't support USB :)
2. The breakfast menu this time was boring. They serve the same breakfast everyday!
3. No fresh prepared Omelette option in Residence Inn Marriott.

Overall a nice stay in San Diego. Much improved than my last visit out there.

Room Tip: If you visit now, insist at the reception desk to give you a Re-furbished rooms. They are usually be...