Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley
Ranked #102 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a Marriott Residence Inn, and it has been of choice of accommodation lately. I should say it suits very well for our family of four. I won't delve much into RI, and having stayed in 5 RI's in the past 2 years, I should say they are pretty much standard. Basically we like the full kitchen, the separated living area from the bedroom, the amenities (pool/hot tub), and the full hot breakfast.

So what is different? The good part is that the hotel is being renovated, and looked quite fresh, in my opinion. We stayed in another RI in the same trip, so we could compare. We noticed the new carpets (rooms and hallway), new furnishings in the room, and the nice (external) pool area and hot tub.

We got a very good rate - less than $100/day for the Christmas/NY week. It was basically the cost of a Travelodge + breakfast for four, so it was almost a no brainer.

The surrounding area is a business area, feeling quite safe. A bunch of dining options nearby. Not to mention that it located a couple of miles from La Jolla.

We also love RI's full hot breakfast. Biscuit and gravy, sausage, eggs, and the now ubiquitous waffle machines (with blueberry toppings).

What we did not like? Well, breakfast is great, if you can actually manage to get some. It seems that the dining area and the food production were not scaled to the large amount of guests (probably lured by the low rates). However, the last day, they seem to open a new space for breakfast, so things look very promising.

I think the biggest issue for most travelers could be the location in terms of distance to major attractions. I should say that we were able to get to most of places in San Diego in about 20 minutes drive, so distance was never an issue - although I should say that we never hit traffic of any sort. Things could be different in other time of the year.

All in all, we were very happy with our stay. I would definitely recommend the place, if the rate is right, and if we don't need to stay too close to major attractions. I actually prefer to stay a bit farther and have a better accommodations with better rates.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
sasha M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear wdl,

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are all so very proud of the way our hotel is looking with the new renovation. With the updated rooms, expanded Breakfast area – which I assume is the area you mentioned opened up on your last day visiting us- and our expanded lobby/market area, we anticipate being able to meet our guest’s needs quicker and more comfortably.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review and hopefully your family has the chance to visit us again real soon

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stay at quite a few Residence Inn's and this one is one of the better ones. The property is very good and the rooms were clean. The staff is really good particularly the breakfast crew. The pool and basketball area are good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear ConstantTravller74,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Hopefully you can come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for two nights with two rooms. The rooms are above-average as they were recently renovated with new decor and new appliances. Lobby was still under renovation, so don't know how it looked. The business center was not done, which was disappointing because we were hoping to look up some information on the internet on their computers. Overall, the staff was nice and friendly, with the exception of one staff member who worked the front desk (older Caucasian man), who was very curt and rude. He seemed like he did not want to be working there and had a disposition that is completely opposite of what you would want to have for someone working in the hospitality industry. He made me feel very unwelcomed as a guest.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
sasha M, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear CPLaw,

I am very pleased you enjoyed the new look and feel of our rooms.
I do apologize that the Business Center was down during your stay though and that you experienced less then acceptable reception from the Front Desk Associate. We will certainly use your review as training exercises and hope that you are able to revisit us again soon.

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing us a review.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I got a chance to be one of their first customers to stay at their newly done Refurbished rooms at Residence Inn Marriott.

Pros
1. The rooms are excellently done
2. New Appliances are present.
3. The colour of the room looks simply awesome.
4. The staff courtesy is impressive
5. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
6. Nice fire place in the studio rooms.
7. Pool and Jacuzzi operational
8. Gym is undergoing a re-furbishing.
9. Limo booking is also easy!!
10. You get evening snacks on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Awesome Beer/Wine :) This is a real + point of staying in Marriott

Cons
1. The television sets haven't been replaced in most of the rooms. Although they have new TV's but they don't support USB :)
2. The breakfast menu this time was boring. They serve the same breakfast everyday!
3. No fresh prepared Omelette option in Residence Inn Marriott.

Overall a nice stay in San Diego. Much improved than my last visit out there.

Room Tip: If you visit now, insist at the reception desk to give you a Re-furbished rooms. They are usually be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
sasha M, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel after your stay.

I am so pleased that you’re most recent visit was an enjoyable one and that our rooms are pleasing. We are very proud of the new look and feel of our hotel and home that all of our guests feel very at home here.

Breakfast has been a minimal menu during the gatehouse phase of our renovation however I assure you this is not a permanent replacement to our otherwise normal breakfast options. An omelet station is a wonderful idea, unfortunately with our typically ethnic food options in the buffet line; there is just not the counter space to allow for this added option.

Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Some parts of the hotel are under renovations, which is always nice, and I was told I am in a renovated room. Nothing special about this room.
I am here for business, so I basically walk to work, which is nice. If you're not working around here... I don't know. Maybe the price is worth it, as the rooms are pretty decent.

The biggest problems for me were the following
1. Even though its promised, only like 1/4 of the rooms have wired internet, and the wireless internet is just not good. (The signal is not very strong, and just came and went...)
2. Breakfast is very poor in my opinion. Good thing the room is equipped with a utilized kitchen, so I could make food for my myself.
3. Not sure why, but I had to come and ask for salt + pepper, and for dishwasher detergent, the room service did not re-fill it.

Bottom line: This hotel is nice, very average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with wired internet, WIFI is poor sometimes.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Kit B, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you very much for the feedback on your visit with us. We are excited to be have our renovation coming to a close by the end of December and are extremely excited at the positive response we are receiving from our valued guests such as yourself.

I do appreciate hearing your comments with regard to the internet. Earlier this year we were able to increase our bandwidth to 100mbps and installed new wireless routers throughout the building. From your comments it would appear we may not have the complete coverage we are striving for in all areas and are working to identify the area.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond and thank you for staying with us. I hope you will visit us again in the near future to experience our brand new hotel and lobby area.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The wing we stayed in underwent renovations while there. I was recovering from a bad cold and needed to sleep, so this was very disruptive.

The rooms were spacious, but dated and one bathroom in particular was rather old and icky. The toilet also mysteriously flushed itself at random times, also waking me out of a light sleep.

Housekeeping was alright. They did not replenish anything (coffee, salt, popcorn or even toilet paper) unless asked specifically. I used to work in the hospitality industry, and I guess I expect more than the average hotel guest.

The breakfasts were adequate, but please replace those nasty powdered eggs with fresh ones and serve some bacon once in a while! I could not stand the sight of the steamed ham and sausage patties after a few days.

The only really good thing was the rice cooker. Thank you for that because it saved me many a morning. The steamed rice and kimchi was an excellent combo and allowed me to steer clear of all the wheat-heavy offerings.

Oh! The coffee was just plain bad. Avoid if possible.

Juice and soda was on tap. The orange juice tasted like Tang.

Fresh bananas, oranges and apples were available all day, which was nice.

The best thing about the social hours in the evening was the host - Jawad - he always had a ready smile and worked hard to keep the buffet stocked and everyone happy. His sunny disposition was a sharp contrast to the two women who appeared during breakfast service. They always looked grouchy and never greeted anyone. I said hello and good morning the first couple of days, but stopped after they scowled in return. The manager should see about giving the AM shift to the night host, too. It would be an improvement.

Other than that, the facilities were ok. Never got to sit outside near the firepit because seting was always occupied. Since it is such a popular spot perhaps they need another one or arrange seats so that groups cannot monopolize the area.

The hot tub was lovely, and the pool was most often empty. Only once did the water seem dirty, with dead bugs and hair floating on surface.

Would I stay there again? Probably, if I needed to. It is good for what is good for: extended stays with kids and/or pets.

The most enjoyable evening social was the Manager's Toast: good cheese and crackers! The hotel handled cold food better than hot.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
sasha M, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Criftee,
Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.
As you mentioned this is a big time of change for us and all of your concerns have been addressed with the specific departments and their supervisors. I truly appreciate your honesty and do hope that you return in the future to see what changes we have made.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here for about a month. Excellent amenities. Excellent food and breakfast. Very comfortable rooms and beds. Excellent place for family. Excellent place for business travelers visiting San Diego. The only problem is the building is quite old. The rooms are very old. It gives a rustic feeling. They need to revamp soon else will lose their charm.

The swimming pool and the Jacuzzi isn't great. Pool is quite small and is not heated. Most often this place is used as a party place and becomes quite noisy to folks near the pool side. Beer ping pong matches etc make this place horrible.

Its better not to take rooms on the pool side. The lobby isn't that great compared to other places. All in all its a nice and cheap place to stay when you visit San Diego

Room Tip: Don't take the rooms facing or near the pool!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Shreyas2415
Thank you so much for taking the time and reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased to say that we have started our renovation and are releasing the first phase of new rooms this week. Our new rooms have been completely updated to include new furniture, light fixtures, carpet and wall paper as well as decorative items and granite in the bathrooms. The guest corridors have been refreshed with new carpet and wallpaper as well as light fixtures. The lobby/gatehouse area will begin renovation later this fall. I do hope that you are able to come back and stay with us again to see all of our improvements.
As for the noise you experienced, I am very sorry to hear this. Typically we are a very quiet property as most of our guests are business travelers such as yourself. A few weeks out of the year we do host sports teams who come from all over the county to play at our Del Mar Polo grounds in hopes of a college scholarship. This will of course add some extra buzz around the hotel even though we do try to put all of the teams together and away from our business travelers, during times of high occupancy it is just not possible to create a wide barrier. Again, this only happens a couple of times a year and normally only over weekends.
Please, if you do ever have an issue with noise at our property, let the front desk associate know right away and we will do our very best to assist in your comfort.

Thank you again and we do hope to see you again.