“Nice stay at the woodfin”

HYATT house San Diego/Sorrento Mesa
Ranked #23 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Washington, D.C.
“Nice stay at the woodfin”
Reviewed October 29, 2006

A nice business hotel, in a business location. The suites are oddly configured: the seating areas (and beds) don't face the televisions so you have to angle yourself to view them. The courtyard breakfast is a nice touch.

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank DavidDC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2006

We stayed at the Woodfin Suites for two nights in June when my husband ran the Rock n' Roll Marathon. Overall, we were quite pleased with the accomodations.

The hotel seems very new and modern and as a result has nice, spacious rooms that are nicely furnished. The kitchen area was quite large for a hotel room and well equiped. Our suite was a true suite with a bedroom seperated by french doors from the kitchen/ living room area. The bed was comfy, and the room was fairly quiet for a hotel room. Our son stayed on the fold out bed in the living room area. It seemed decently comfortable for a sofa bed, and extra sheets and bedding were provided in the closet. The television sets did seem a bit small, but as we don't even own a TV it wan't really a big issue for us.

The staff was decent, but not overly helpful. When I went to check out the morning of the marathon there were three employees chatting and they continued to do so for about a minute while I waited for them to finish up. Once they attended to me they were very pleasant to me as well as my two year old son, talking to him and being very cordial.

I location of the Woodfin is bit of a drive from dowtown San Diego, Mission Valley, and most San Diego attractions but quite do-able if you have a car. The neighborhood is comprised of modern office buildings with not a whole lot of restaurants in the immediate area, there are however plenty down the street about a 5-10 minute drive.

I would reccommend this hotel for families in which the adults would appreciate the privacy of a seperate bedroom. As far as accomodations go I think the room was defintely a good value for the money. We would stay at the Woodfin again.

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2006

Easy-to-access suites hotel in an industrial park several blocks off freeway. Coffee shop & minimarket next door. Spacious 1-bedroom suite was room for a family of 4 for 5 days while site-seeing around San Diego. Seaworld, LaJolla, Delmar, Old Town, Zoo with 15-20 min. car ride. Tiny balcony (no chair) overlooks lush courtyard & pool surrounded by palm trees. Staff very helpful and responsive. Business office with Internet access allowed us to print coupons to local attractions & boarding passes for flights home. Well-equipped kitchenette- full size frig, stove, microwave, diswasher,pots, pans, plates, flatware, etc allowed us to eat in or carry out. Many restaurants & shopping witin short driving distance. Definitely a good value, compared to pricey downtown hotels @ AAA rate of $159 a night. Restaurant at the hotel recently opened. Our food was bland.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Garden Grove, CA
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I stayed there with my husband and three boys ages 1,2 and 3 on July 1-2 , 2006. We were happy with this hotel and may stay here again. The staff was nice and friendly. The room was clean and spacious.We had the executive business room and iIt had a full size refrigerator, microwave, stove, cooking utensils, pots, dishes, glasses, cups, and dish washer. There was a king size bed in the room which we thought was really comfortable and a seperate lliving room with a sleeper sofa, 2 tvs and one with a dvd player. You can borrow dvd's downstairs in the lobby for free, 2 at a time but the dvd selection is very limited. There was only about 30 dvds to choose from and they were mostly the old movies like forest gump, charlie's angels and a few kids movies as well. They do have the disney channel which was nice for the kids so we mostly watched that instead. You can also request a crib which we did for my youngest son and you will get an evenflo portable crib. For some reason we had some trouble getting one into our room though. I had asked for one when I first checked in but an hour and a half later I had to call down to the front dest and ask them to bring one up. An hour later still no crib so this time I actually went down stairs to the lobby and told them that the crib has still not been delivered and this time finally they brought one to me about 10 minutes later. That was probably my only complaint about the hotel. The hotel was only about 15 to 30 minutes to all the places that we visited but it is located in a hotel/ business area so there is nothing within walking distance. No stores or anything nearby. I had to buy milk for my son and the closest place that sold it was at a shell gas station which was about 4 - 5 lights away. There is also a food court next to the gas station as well but most of the restaurants were closed on sunday. Only 3 were opened which was a japanese, thai and indian restaurant. In the other direction though which is about 1 or 2 lights down the street is a chili's restaurant and by the 805 freeway entrance is a mc donalds. The hotel does have a restaurant by the lobby but the menu is very limited. I wished that they had more items to choose from. Only a few items and nothing seems very interesting. Just salads, sandwiches and a few other things. We did order breakfast though, I had the omelet and my husband had the two eggs with bacon, and potato. Breakfast was alright but costed us about $20. On the internet it stated that the hotel has complimentary breakfast but they do not have one. I think they got rid of it because of the new restaurant that they have added to the hotel. They also have a small rectangle size pool and a hot tub. They also have a small area next to the lobby that sells drinks like champagne, beer, soda, snacks, and other stuff. Oh, and we had a room that faced a launching pad for hot air balloons. We had no idea and then on Sunday all of a sudden we looked out of our room and saw 7 hot air balloons. The kids got excited over that. I also thought that we got a great deal on the room too! We had payed $149 each night and that was on a holiday weekend! I had spent so many nights searching for the best deals on hotel and I was so happy to have found this one! It pays to do your research on prices because I had checked about 10 websites and they all had the same price for this hotel at $179 but only one website had it for the price that we payed. We saved about $80 for the two nights. I would recommend this hotel especially if you have kids because of the full kitchen and the size of the suite. I am so glad that we had stayed here!

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank momma3boys
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Our family of six stayed here last July. We had a two bedroom suite and it was great. The price is very affordable especially when we would have been paying for two rooms at a regular hotel. It was our base for visiting the San Diego area. It is very convenient to many SD attractions and the Wildlife Park. The rooms were clean, although basic. We really enjoyed the included hot/cold breakfast. Overall, I would say that this is a very good value.

• Stayed July 2005