“Great stay at a reasonable price”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay
Ranked #98 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Ashland, OR
“Great stay at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed here for three nights with my dog, who got to stay free. I needed to get some work done when I was here and the wifi did the job but the desk chair offered no (read: ZERO) back support. I solved that with a move to the 'comfy chair' in the room to actually be comfy enough to work. Problem easily solved.

The free hot breakfast was filling and offered some good choices. I have a bad neck and have to be picky about the beds I sleep on. The bed was fine and I didn't have any problems. The room was clean and taken care of regularly. There was always hot coffee in the lobby, which was a life saver for me.

Aside from the desk chair, my only other complaint was that after a very late arrival (driving in from Sacramento....long way), I needed to get something in my stomach fast. I should have consulted the magic iPhone in my pocket but I was checking in and talking to the desk clerk so I asked where the nearest Taco Bell was. Now, we're in Pacific Beach, right off Garnet Avenue near the I5 freeway. He directed me to a Taco Bell in Mission Valley at Hotel Circle. He maintained it was the closest one. I was stupid enough and tired enough to not argue and I actually got in my car and went there. I know San Diego pretty well so it wasn't that big a deal. But it bugged me enough to check and there was a closer one...much closer, right there in Pacific Beach at the corner of Grand and Mission Blvd.. The more I thought about it, the more I thought that, at the least, if the clerk really wasn't sure where the closest one one, he could have Google'd it.

Everything considered, I have to give the hotel high marks. It was convenient to the freeway and to where I was going. It allowed me to comfortably get my work done. I got a comfortable night's rest for all three nights. The freebies were worth taking advantage of. And the price was right. If my dog had thumbs, I'm sure she'd give it one up too.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank daliwzrd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Everyone was friendly and seemed to be very happy to see their guests. I was very impressed. The food was very good and the room was very clean. I was most impressed with the friendly staff. The hotel was very easy to park and get to your car from your room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed here for just over a week as we took in the attractions around San Diego. While the hotel can be a bit tricky to find, looking at it on Google Maps and letting the GPS direct us made it simple. We had an executive suite which gave us extra room for our dog. Breakfasts were hearty with eggs, sausage, bacon, cereals, waffles and yogurt. 24 hour coffee at the lobby. With the length of our stay we only asked for room freshening every 2nd day. The staff did a wonderful job keeping the room 'fresh'. Over the course of our stay we probably met most staff. All were cheerful and always willing to lend assistance or provide advice. On most nights parking is not a problem but when the hotel is full it can be a challenge. Overflow is on the street - a quiet street.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms are away from I-5. Easiest to exit the hotel area via Mission Bay. Garnet Ave can b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeachlandCalculator
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was very surprise to ser this La Quinta. The entrance gave me a "big Doubt" if I made a mistake in choosing this hotel trying to save some $$$ . But soon as I enter the Lobby , A warm welcome smile greet me and it made me smile. Lobby is very small but its clean and the room is big or its the same size of any other hotel in the area. There is no view but we never stayed anyway. Parking is free and Continental Breakfast was a surprise! Theres Omelette, boiled eggs, sausage, yogurt, coffe etc. Staff are very friendly and very helpful. It was a 3 day weekend, Martin Luther Day and the place is full but it was bery quiet. Even being by freeway 5 We did not hear any noise. Overall good experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

By far, the best hotel I've been in this year. Rooms were very, very nice with great beds and bedding. Flat screen High Def TV's with super reception. Rooms were clean with large
bathrooms and granite counter tops. Safe underground parking, with large spaces. Hot breakfast in the morning was more than adequate. Rooms had windows that open to get fresh air and a/c unit was very quiet. Close to I-5, however, first time visitors may have a hard time finding the entrance. This is a high-traffic area. McDonald's restaurant next to hotel as well as a couple of gas stations and convenience store. The staff were all very courteous and helpful. There isn't any grass on the property, but there is a strip mall north of the hotel that does have grassy areas for your pets. Take a baggy with you. Would definitely stay at again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple