“Much better than i ever expected”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay
Ranked #95 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
London
“Much better than i ever expected”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very good stay, i was very impressed with the quality of the rooms, furnishings and facilities. The Inn is very conveniently located (if you are driving). Service was fantastic, parking was free the room was spacious, modern and clean.
Breakfast was a little bit of a let down, for the price it was fine but i felt the quality of the eggs could have been a little better. Saying that there were other choices (fruit, waffles, bread selection, yogurt) so i can't complain too much.
Would visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Oakville
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was our last stop on a road trip from San Francisco so we were exhausted with sore feet. This hotel couldn't have been nicer both in room and service. The price was also great with $89 for Sunday and $109 for the weekend. We paid double that elsewhere without any nicer amenities. It took us several passes to finally get to the hotel as it is located at a busy intersection and sort of tucked away up on a hill behind stores. The location for the Zoo, Sea World, Old Town and the airport was fantastic. The parking was underground and the cart and elevator very convenient. They were servicing the elevator but saw we were checking in, so they held it for us. Just one of the nice things they did. The clientele were friendly families going to sporting venues and the sights I mentioned earlier. The spacious room and the bed were lovely and the air conditioner quiet. The shower perfect. We were there three days so we used the microwave and fridge, which worked great. The breakfast was good with the choice of scrambled eggs and sausage and biscuits as well as everything else you would expect. We love our coffee and there was a hot pot going all day long. There was a pool and a spa and we used it a couple of times. Even though it is near a busy street, it is nicely tucked away and private. The pool was warm and we used both. The last day I wanted to down load my and my husband's boarding passes and with some help from the fellow on the desk, the hotel computer and printer, I managed to do it. One piece of paper each and we went from San Diego to LA to Toronto. This world is amazing. We were so pleased with the housekeeping that we left some presents and a tip.

Room Tip: We didn't hear any road noise but you might ask about rooms away from the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Checked in about 7 pm after a long day. I was extremely stressed out for reasons that don't really matter - suffice to say I was near a panic attack. Jose was working the desk and he could not have been kinder. I know it was obvious I was a bit out of it, but he was so patient and nice. I didn't have a reservation and had been trying to decide where to stay, which added to my stress. Jose's attitude went a long way to my choosing this location.

It was a good choice. The rooms are very nice being recently remodeled and were very clean. Microwave and fridge, and our room had a wet bar as well. The free breakfast was very generous. The location turned out to be great as well - we got everywhere we wanted to go within minutes. Our room was just down the hall from the lobby and I'd been concerned about noise - but we never heard the folks in the lobby, hallway, or adjoining rooms. Someone has mentioned the entrance and parking. Entrance is only confusing the first time you do it - its not hard, you just have to wind around to the front (depending on which way you are coming from) and we never had trouble with the parking at all (there is parking on two levels). Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel allows guests to room with their dogs. Being an animal lover I consider this a big plus. HOWEVER, not when the guest goes out for the evening and leaves a frantic dog locked in their room! The dog barked, whined and scratched at the door for over an hour and this was after 9pm. After about 30 minutes of the dog not settling down, I was going to call the front desk. HOWEVER, the phone in my room did not work even though I did give them my credit card when I check in. Not wanting to get out of bed I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Finally, other guests evidently reported it because there were several concerned voices in the hallway. Though I realize this was not the management's fault, my complaint is regarding the very thin walls and lack of phone service.
The room itself was nice and the bed comfortable.
The breakfast was a big disappointment. It is only slightly better than a continental breakfast. The breakfast room is small and very cramped. So small, in fact, that the coffee station is in the lobby! A fact that no one bothers to tell you. I think a sign would have helped. I have stayed at other hotels that offer a free buffet breakfast that is far superior.
I would not stay here again nor recommend it to any of my friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is just like you expect from a remodeled LQ nice room & updated. Getting in and out if this place is totally crazy. Parking is even worse just be ready go out come back your parking on the street hoping your car will be there in the morning.

Staff was very nice close to La Jolla and San Diego if your going to be traveling north & south as we were its a perfect place to stay. Just realize the getting here and parking are the only real issues.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pjsioner
Holmen, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The location is away from other hotels and restaurants, but still an easy drive to all the local attractions and beaches.
A great breakfast is provided, including all your typical carbs, but also including hard boiled eggs, either cheese omelets or scrambled eggs, and sausage. Yogurts, fresh fruit, an assortment of juices and waffles are also available. We didn't have any trouble finding room to eat in the morning.
I know others have commented on the parking, but there were ample spaces the duration of our visit.
The kids loved the pool which was heated but still pretty cool and the hot tub was noisy but cozy.
The rooms were very clean and they utilize the non-bedspread approach which is much appreciated. Turning on the fan in the room eliminated any road or highway noise, although the night we stayed there it sounded like the guests upstairs were hosting a track meet. I can't blame the hotel as I never picked up the phone to complain and they are certainly not at fault for the rudeness of others.
The location was awkward as there is no way to exit the highway and reach the hotel without doing some creative u-turns, so there is always some need to plan ahead. It is right off the interstate though. Gas stations and a McDonalds are within walking distance. It was about a 10 minute drive to Sea World, about 15 to the zoo, and about 30 to Legoland. The road the hotel is on will take you straight down to the beach where there are a bunch of restaurants and tourist fare. Again, it was about a 10-15 minute drive.
I'm not sure what the other reviewer was referring to, as there is an elevator right off the lobby.
I would certainly be willing to stay there again if I were visiting San Diego.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family