“loved the Hotel”

Ranked #45 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
London, United Kingdom
“loved the Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2005

Stayed here in August 2004 with my family for two weeks. The room was nice and clean, the staff very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much for them. Location ideal for shopping and getting to and from the airport. Would stay there again

• Stayed August 2004
5 Thank smartann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2005

My husband and I spent my 50th birthday at the Dana. We arrived on a beautiful january afternoon. We stayed Jan. 19 to Jan 26th. Our room was in the 800 block overlooking the Marina. The room was pretty standard. We had a king size bed. and double bathrooms sinks. The room was clean and fresh. It was my birthday and my husband arranged for flowers and wine to be delivered to the room. The staff did that and threw in a lovely fruit platter. At all times we were treated well. The desk helped us plan our days. They set up tours for us, give us tips on where the good restaurants were. We ate at the Firefly a few times, excellent food. The bar staff was very attentive, and always had a few moments to chat. The two pools and two hot tubs, were clean and well maintened. We also had breakfast at the blue Pearl. The breakfast was huge, we shared one. There is no extra charge for sharing one plate. They have rental bikes on the premises, so do rent one and bike around the bay.I found everybody as pleasant as could be . We would definitely go back again. we are already talking about going back in Sept. to take in some of the horseraces . Good value for the money. If you want to have fancier rooms. the new section is where you might want to stay. Being across the street from Seaworld, three miles from old town and a bus stop right out the front, the marina and bay right outside the door . Why go anywwhere else?

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Sussex United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2004

We got a great deal on the hotel thanks to Airmiles and for the money we had an excellent stay. Maybe for the normal rack rate we might have felt it a little expensive, however we liked the motel type arrangements as it was different from the "everything looks the same" chains. If you are paying $200 a night get a better deal, we paid considerably less.
The location is ideal for SeaWorld.
Our room was clean when we arrived and cleaned well in the three days we were there. If you have a heavy suitcase some people might not like the first floor rooms and the whole 20 yards you might have to walk from the car but. I can manage 20 yards and 20 steps so it was fine for us.
Pool and gym facilities are pretty good as well
Good stay. We would certainly go back

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2004

We stayed for three nights in November. Found the staff to be polite and helpful. We were in the older section overlooking the Marina. Parking was close by and it was quiet.
As others have mentioned the rooms could be cleaner. We found several old french fries on the floor infront of the airconditioner (which had the front cover partially falling off). We left them there to see what would happen. They were never removed in the three nights we were there. Also in the bathroom the corners of the wall above the baseboard were dirty.
The on site full service restaurant was excellent. Friendly staff. good food and reasonable prices.
All in all we enjoyed our stay

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2004

I booked this room through Southwest Vacations package back in August, 2004. I then decided to read the reviews on the Dana, and let me tell you I was ready to switch hotels. The only thing that stopped me was the positive reviews were so different from the negative ones. I decided when we arrived at the hotel that if I did not like the room, I would upgrade to the new side. When we arrived the check in went smoothly and the front desk person was real nice. We went to our room and it was just great. The room had been updated and looked like the picture on their site. The room was clean and well kept the whole time we were there. I would reccomend this hotel to my family and friends.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Victoria BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2004

After reading on line that the Dana Inn was so terrible by about 6 reviews I was getting scared. Our trip was booked ! My travel agent assured us they had never had any negative feedback and IF there was a problem, please let them know and we would certainly be accomodated elsewhere. Well !! The four of us were certainly happy with our rooms. Absoluitely lovely and service bar none. We could not find a negative item to report here. I talked with people who stay here often for conferences, etc. I think it is a star 5 place. Shame on the people who posted negative remarks. I understand there are some who do this just to promote another business. A wonderful restaurant on the premises and only a short walk to Sea World. Oh, this was a big hit for us. Thank you Dana Inn !!!!!

2 Thank foreverfree
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2004

After reading all the reviews recently I was very concerned since I pre-paid my reservations. I had a standard room that had been renovated which turned out to be fine with us. We are from Hawaii so being my the marina was a bonus but we spent most of the time at Sea World, Legoland and the Wild Life Park and only used the room to sleep. Please know that the older section is more like a motel room, don't expect anything more unless you stay in the new section which looks awesome! The new pool looks great and would be a nice place to hang out. The marina is great from relaxing, walking or jogging. The location is great, close to Sea World, easy access to the freeways and many commercial places to eat and shop only a 2 minute drive away (Sports Arena Drive). If you go the west on W. Mission Bay drive, you will hit a Mission Beach area (2 minute drive) with a old wooden roller coaster and a small beach community. You can walk, jog or rollerblade down the beach sidewalk. There are small shops and places to eat there also. If you turn north up Mission Blvd, there is a more contemporary beach community area in the Pacific Beach area (5 - 7 minute drive). If you head north further to La Jolla, there is the Children's Beach area (12-15 minutes drive) where the seals hang out on the beach! Ask for directions. If you want a shopping center, Fashion Valley Shopping Center is only 7 minutes away by taking the 8 east. If you want a nice room, get a room in the new section, it you want a standard room, expect a Motel room and make sure you get a renovated room (kind of a sloppy renovation work). PLEASE don't expect more than, I cannot speak for the rooms that have not been renovated! The website info is for the NEW SECTION only! Expedia has a good photo of the standard rooms. Shop around, I got a great deal with the 4th night free! The front desk people were very pleasant and helpful. That's all, hope this helps! Be Blessed!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member