“Family pool movie! Great location”

The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #47 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Family pool movie! Great location”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Love the location and last night there was a cute movie being played in the pool area for kids at night. If you are a family who wants a lot of children and activities around, this is the place for you. If you are a couple wanting to relax...no so much.

A lot of the rooms face the parking lot...request water and pay the extra amount...well worth it!

I stayed here due to a random priceline bid and am traveling on business. This isn't a hotel I'd recommend for solo business travelers. But families...line up! The SeaWorld shuttle seems to leave every few minutes!

Room Tip: Facing the water...pay extra or you many be stuck with a room facing the parking lot...a lot of them...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank MNtrvL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sevierville
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had one night in San Diego before flying back home and booked this online on a prayer. The grounds are very well kept. The price was very affordable and the view is amazing. The beds were the most comfortable beds I have slept in a long time and wished I could have taken it home with me. Location is convenient to a lot of attractions. This is a quaint little place. We will make sure that we stay here the next time we return.

Room Tip: Found this gem on Expedia
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Riverside, CA
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I really liked this hotel. Surrounded by the bay, clean rooms, well appointed, parking not too bad. Great pool, good amenities, good restaurant on site. Our room had a bay view #2210 and was rather large. The hotel let us have two cribs and did not charge for them. The staff were always friendly and gave a smile on every occasion. No regrets and we would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed March 15, 2014

If you plan on spending time at Sea World, this hotel is closely located. We found that we spent quite a bit of time driving into other parts of San Diego, so our choice to stay in the Mission Bay area didn't work for us. The facility is clean and maintained. We found it to be quiet (visited in March before busy season). We had heard that some hotels in the area allow free or cheap rental of bicyles, but the Dana is not one of them. We found a better deal to rent our bikes on Groupon rather than use the hotel equipment. We booked this hotel on Expedia, and didn't do a good job reading the fine print - this is a warning about the $20/day parking fee and the $9/day facility fees that are not included in the price on Expedia. The hotel gives you a book of coupons to 'offset' the fees, but we found that we only used one for breakfast. The food at the Blue Oyster for breakfast was decent. The staff we encountered at the Dana were all nice. The clerk that checked us in found us a room with a view, which we appreciated. The property has two pools and hot tubs. We were excited about the thought to use the hot tubs in the evening, but got discouraged since they were always full of children (it seemed odd that the children weren't playing in the heated pools).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2014

OK, so when I booked my stay at The Dana, I did so thinking it would be nice to be closer to the water. I looked at the pictures of the hotel and amenities and thought, "I'm getting a pretty good deal for such a nice hotel." (Cue the reminder of not judging a book by its' cover).

I asked if they had shuttle service to the airport and was told they did. When I got to San Diego, I was dropped off by my charter about 2 miles away from The Dana. I called and asked if a shuttle could be sent over to get me (I was willing to get a cab otherwise). I was told no problem....and I waited...and waited.... Finally after 45 minutes, the shuttle finally showed up (he had been told the wrong address apparently?) So we pull up to the hotel...

The entry is really nice. Very modern and sleek. You can see the marine right next to the hotel. I walk into the reception area, again it's all sleek and big panes of glass. I had been camping for 5 days so I was glad to have a bit of a change of pace, and was enjoying all the modern conveniences. Checked in, and wandered around trying to find my room. And that's when appearances being deceiving became a bit more apparent. There are two parts to this hotel--the newer, modern, sleek part you see when you check in, and the more "run down looking" part I ended up being in. My room was clean, but looked like it hadn't seen an update since the 70s. The AC was mounted at floor level in the bathroom, and every time it turned on, it blasted you with cold air while you tried to brush your teeth, comb your hair...mounted as if it was an afterthought and not as part of the original design.

The bathroom was clean (which I am very picky about), but again very dated and worn. This hotel really should spend some money sprucing up the older units. Paint, new carpets, updated fixtures would be nice. At least it had a decent TV. And I can't complain too much about my view--it was the parking lot, but at least the marina was behind it.

I didn't get to try the restaurant because the night I went in, the only items I wanted to eat were not available as they were having "kitchen issues." I don't know if that was real or code for "we're busy watching the Oscars"... I'm not trying to be harsh, but my first night was quite the let-down.

It would be nice too if the rooms had curtains instead of plantation shutters to cut down on the light. I was on the first floor, and felt everyone could look right in on me while I was watching TV or reading...and to help block out light at night. And I hope they invest a few dollars in sealing the doors--mine had a 1/2"-3/4" gap under it....

I know this review sounds a bit nit-picky, but I wanted to make sure people know what you are getting into here. If I had known better what to expect, I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't get a first floor room if you value sleep! Try to get in one of the newer rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank JohnBoyd
oklahoma city
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Dana is an older resort on the bay. It's neat and but dated. The room had a small flat sceen TV. Staff was friendly. A good value for price in San Deigo. Getting around the resort is tricky. There are lots buildings. Upon arrival you receive a book full of coupons. I was not able to use them, however a family might find them useful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank hotheads1
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband visiting San Diego for the first time arrived around 5am and just needed a place to sleep for a couple hours. We booked on Expedia kinda pricey $109 . The hotel is located mins from mission bay which was nice. Check in was easy & fast HOWEVER the front desk clerk seemed sleepy, he talked in monotone with no eye contact. The property was very nice seemed to have a tropical theme, very quiet. We we're quite pleased with the room. It was very clean, very comfortable needs, flat screen tv, sitting desk & lovely bathroom. One thing to look out for is they double charged me, once in cash then on my debit card. Will most likely not return due to the price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple