“Good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the location. Close to all the beaches, but tucked away in a nice quiet location. Easy to get to mission and ocean beach. The $9 fee and parking fee is unnecessary, they discounted the parking fee to $10 a day. The hotel is older but maintained. The room was remodeled but the building is old. I would stay there again, but management needs to get rid of the fees.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelLady_USA_GO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Mishawaka, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We came to town for my youngest son's Marine Corps Graduation. The room was average and clean. We were in the cheap seats so to speak since we reserved it on a discount site...the price was too terrific to ignore. The location was awesome, better than I expected and close to the base. The hotel had a resort feel to it. It was located on a bay with a marina and a long paved walkway along the bay for those of us who like to exercise. The view was what one would hope for in San Diego. The pool was pretty and I was surprised it was heated. The bar was located next to the pool and had lit gas fire pits with tables and chairs between the pool and bar, a nice atmosphere. Our family enjoyed playing ping pong next to the pool. On the downside, our family occupied 6 rooms and we were all blindsided by the "incidentals fee". The hotel never informed us previously of this extra expense of $136.00 per room for a 4 night stay, there was also the daily $9.00 resort fee . Even 'tho the incidental fee was refundable (if we didn't break or steal anything) It definitely put a sour taste in our mouths. Some of us were charged $20 a day for parking some of us were not. My husband and I were charged this rate until I proved to them that when I reserved this room it guaranteed free parking, only with proof did they refund us the parking fee. I would stay at this hotel again but I would make sure that I had free parking.

Room Tip: When reserving a room make sure you recieve free parking and print your guarantee for proof.
7 Thank ccc1055
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

The Dana is a beautiful hotel well situated on Mission Bay. We were upgraded to a junior suite. We stayed two nights. The second night we received a 20 percent discount for being a returning guest. The parking fee of $20 was also waived the second night. The rooms are clean and are equipped with Kuerig coffee machines. Recommended hotel. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank a k
Medicine Hat, Ab
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

awesome room and excellent customer service. The room was facing the marina. Who would have thought being married to a marine mechanic... Everything was clean and updated. loved it... close to sea world and lots of other things to do. Down the street is the San Diego beach and board walk. Excellent

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mhatter58
Algonquin, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

We "won" a booking here through priceline for 1/8-1/13. My first complaint is that this resort charges both a $20/night parking fee AND a $9/night resort fee. Fortunately our parking fee was reduced to $10/night because we stayed for 5 nights. But still, adding these fees makes it next to impossible to compare hotels and rooms, particularly when booking through priceline or hotwire. Priceline warned that some hotels/resorts have such fees, but I feel this is a deceptive practice and is one reason why I only gave it a 2 point ranking.

As far as the quality of the resort/room, it was so-so. We were placed in an older section of the hotel which was mediocre, but hard to justify the 3.5 star rating. The room was a double queen and was pretty tight. There was a refrigerator, microwave, and Keurig coffee maker which are nice features. There were granite double sinks which is also a nice touch. There was a slight musty odor in the room, but it didn't bother me much. There were a fair number of small ants on the floor and occasionally on the sink counter top which is not something I expect in a 3.5 star resort. The carpet could use a shampooing occasionally as my socks were full of dirt after walking around a bit. The thermostat in our room did not work properly so we had to call for a maintenance person to bypass it to get the heater running. The beds were reasonably comfortable. The free shuttle to SeaWorld (right next door) was convenient and saved us on parking there. The on-site restaurant had decent food and the price was reasonable.

All in all, it met our needs and was acceptable given the price we paid, but not up to the standards that I expect from a 3.5 star hotel/resort.

Room Tip: Beware of resort and parking fees when booking through a "blind" service like Hotwire or P...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank deserhut
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I love this place so much. Whenever we go to California, we are always drawn back to San Diego. The Dana is an amazing hotel.

Rooms/Property: Clean, house keeping is great. Quiet. We have always had a room on the main floor, when you walk out onto the patio- you have a little gate and you are on this beautiful grass field right in front of the marina. Such nice sunsets, and a beautiful path you can ride your bike (you can rent them) or a walk. We've always stayed pretty close to the infinity pool & have never had a problem with noise. Seaworld is super close to this hotel, and also the theme park (so much fun, and shopping!)

Food: They have great bars w/ delicious cocktails and mixed drinks. Reasonably price. Also at the time I visited, two restaurants. One is more casual dining, and the other a little fancier/bar dining. I only had appies at the fanicer resteraunt, but very good! The other more casual resteraunt was great. I never had any problems with the service or the quality of the food at any of the options on the property. If you drive over to the theme park there are alot of places you can eat around there too.

To do:
Although there isn't a beach at this property. The nearest beach is a super close drive, and most san diego beaches aren't that busy compared to other Cali Beaches. The marina has a rental place, where you can rent so much equipment for decent prices. The sea do's are so much fun, we also got paddle boats, kyaks etc.. I think you can also rent boats! For kids, there are alot of activites at the other pool, like crafts and such. At least at the time I was there there was. I remember being little years ago and doing arts and crafts with the staff and had alot of fun. There also was movie nights when I was there!

Although this review was from my most recent stay in august, i've stayed at the dana over 5 times in the last ten years and have not hesitated to go back!

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room w/ patio facing the marina!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rochelleleblanc
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I met our son who goes to college in Long Beach here for a long weekend. Got a great deal on hotwire. Then upgraded to a suite before we came down. I believe the guy on the phone who did our upgrade was Jake and he also checked us in. Wonderful service, very helpful and happy. He remembered doing our upgrade and it was nice to meet the guy behind the phone call. The room was a bay side suite with 2 queen beds, kitchen area, and living area with a pull out coach which we did not use. Everything was clean and had a wonderful view. We had a rental car. I would definitely say you need a car if you stay at this resort. I was prepared to pay $20 a night for parking but only was charged $10. Only used on site restaurants once and that was for breakfast. It was great. Didn't use pools but the hot tub was great. Look forward to staying here again sometime soon!