My wife and I wanted a relaxing weekend away, and almost was successful; unfortunately the Saturday night front desk continually lied to us.
We had a group of young adult neighbors turning their room into party central. On 3 calls to the desk from 9 PM to 12:30 AM we were told they were taking care of it. At 12:30 I had had it with their inactivity and found the desk wouldn’t answer my calls for 10 minutes. Finally I was told the party people were being evicted. Found out that was a lie as they were back the next morning slaming doors and playing loud dance music. Looks like their bigger spending group was more important than us two.
When I checked out and complained again the clerk comp'd us the parking charge, so that helped me cool down a little. I still would have rather had a less angry sleep after an afternoon of watching fish jump out of the water at Sea World. The front desk had no explanation to me on why it could have been resolved last night and why I was ignored.
We had a mystery $18 premium movie charge, so I would be sure to review everything on your bill when you check out.
The positive side of the Dana is it is about 15 minutes walking to Sea World and is right on Mission Bay. They have a free shuttle bus as well. It runs twice in the morning and twice at night. The last bus left before park closing, so we decided to walk.
We upgraded to a bay view suite and it was nice. The bed was comfortable and the wi-fi was fast. The room was clean with a large tiled bathroom. It also came with a microwave, coffee maker, light robes and refrigerator.
We sat on the patio with coffee watching the boats and joggers. There is no beach, but a nice grassy lawn between the hotel and the water.
As other reviews state there is a $20 a night parking fee that you cannot avoid since the hotel has no safe overnight street parking (not many street lights). An additional $9 ‘resort fee’ give you the same things hotels used to give for free: coupon book, pool and exercise room privileges.
I was expecting the usual overpriced mediocre hotel meal when we tried there upper end dinner restaurant ‘Firefly’ and was pleasantly surprised. The Sea Bass with fried Brussels sprouts appetizer was expertly prepared with different ingredients. My wife had special dietary needs and the staff bent over backwards to be accommodating her vegetable dish. We sat on the patio under the heaters to enjoy the night. The desserts are large enough to share.
The main pool was heated with a great view of the bay. The Jacuzzi was a great way to boil away the sore leg pain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A waterfront resort enveloped by tropical landscaping, The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection delivers an exceptional lodging experience in a casual, relaxed atmosphere. Rest comfortably in a well-appointed guestroom or two-room suite overlooking Mission Bay. Delight in such quality amenities as two outdoor, heated swimming pools, fitness center, private marina, and watersport and bicycle rentals on site. Our location is both family- and business-friendly. The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection is less than one mile to Mission Beach and Belmont Park. We're the closest hotel to SeaWorld San Diego and a short drive to the San Diego Zoo. And the San Diego Convention Center is equally convenient. In short, the only thing we overlook is the bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Best Western, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Dana On Mission Bay Hotel San Diego
- Dana On Mission Bay Hotel
- Dana Mission Bay