The Dana on Mission Bay
$329
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$283
$231
$232
$151
  • Breakfast included
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$164
$153
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Beachfront
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
  • Pool
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$217
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
2,554 results
All reviewsfirefly restaurantsea worldmission baytropical poolresort feemarina viewbelmont parkstandard roomfree shuttleshuttle serviceshort drivefamily vacationcoffee makerfire pitthe san diego areala jollapools
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife, 7-year old son and I stayed at the Dana for an entire week back in early January 2013 during the first half of our vacation. Though we discovered it ourselves, the Hotel was also recommended by an agent from the Disney Travel Co. We arrived in a rental car but the Dana reduced the parking fee to $10 a night as a perk due to the length of our stay. On the other hand, they also gave us a $20 a day breakfast credit at the Blue Pearl. We checked in to a Marina Cove San Diego hotel room. Though it was clean, we quickly ran into a problem with electrical outlets which ultimately culminated in a free upgrade to a much, much better and highly recommended Water's Edge guest room. There simply were not enough outlets to accommodate chargers from my son's DS, my iPod and our two phones. The outlets that were free happened to be worn and failed to tightly grasp the prongs causing the plugs to be loose or outright fall out. To make matters worse, it was very cold at that time due to an unfortunate arctic cold front that parked on top of San Diego so naturally we had to turn on the heater (a window unit though it featured an on-wall thermostat). Unfortunately, so did all the other guests in our building which caused repeated blackouts. The first night this happened, I awoke during the night literally shivering. Suffice it to say, more than 10 calls and trips by maintenance to reset the breaker, the very sympathetic staff offered to upgrade us to a Deluxe Bay View Suite. Much to our relief, they even arranged to have our luggage transferred one day while we were out on an excursion. Before I discuss our second room at the Dana, I want to mention a few other observations. Back home in Florida, our yard features a lot of native and tropical plants. We were immediately impressed with the landscaping throughout at the Dana. There are enormous Bird of Paradise everywhere and tropical flowers at every turn. It made our walks to the Firefly and Blue Pearl quite enjoyable. We also enjoyed walking along the marina and through the beautiful Lobby Terrace. The statute of the children and relaxing music streaming in from overhead speakers is something not to be overlooked. Unfortunately, it was too cold to do much swimming though we did enjoy nice conversation with an Aussie family in the Bayside Pool jacuzzi. Both pools are nice and well maintained. The Tropical pool is surrounded by, well, a lot of tropical plants (hats off the landscape crew for maintaining the Bermuda grass so well!).

As soon as I stepped into the ground level Bay View Suite, I immediately cursed Disney for failing to notify me about the room's availability in the first place. It was gorgeous with a sleek, modern look reminding me of the rooms back at the Contemporary Resort in Walt Disney World. It was spacious and offered an incredible view of the bay. It was as if we had moved into an entirely new Hotel. I can't recommend this room enough. Before I conclude, I want to mention how much we enjoyed the Firefly and breakfasts at the Blue Pearl. They were both conveniently located within walking distance of both our rooms. The wait staff were terrific and the food was delicious. The only thing keeping me from rating the Dana "excellent", was the electrical issues that arose in the first room. Looking back at it, the experience was quite frustrating, so much so, that many people might have really dinged the Dana in the overall rating. However, the remainder of our stay was so enjoyable, that it nearly erases the bad memories of the first two nights. It would not be fair or accurate to give it a lower rating given all that the Dana has to offer (plus the fact that the freakish cold weather isn't a normal occurrence in Cali). The staff was friendly, the grounds beautiful and the restaurants were very enjoyable. We would definitely stay at the Dana again and would recommend it to our closest family and friends. As for the first leg of our unforgettable trip to California, our mission was accomplished!

Room Tip: Go ahead and pay a bit more for a first floor Water's Edge guest room. You will not regret it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank marcuslaw
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I visited the property with a group of travel agents so got to see several of the room categories and they were all wonderful.
Close enough to walk to Sea World,but they do offer comp shuttle service to the park, to and from the airportand to the San Diego cruise ship terminal for a minimal fee.
You can also rent bicycles, kayaks and jetski's nearby to explore Mission Bay

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JenC30
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Dana has an excellent location if you're planning on visiting Sea World. You're close enough to walk which is what we did but they offer a free shuttle if you would prefer. The hotel sits right next to the water so if you're lucky, you have a wonderful view, but if not it makes for a wonderful stroll in the evening.
The rooms were comfortable and clean, bed were nice with plenty of pillows so no need to bring your own. Our room had twin sinks in the bathroom which made it nice getting ready in the morning.
The staff was very helpful, you can purchase tickets to several attractions at the front desk and avoid the lines at the gate. Do it, it's worth it.
I would recomend the Dana but if you drive, we paid $20 a day to park so take that into consideration.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, ones facing street are a little noisy, not bad though.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Dana offers beauty, serenity and comfort. It's situated beautifully on the bay, offering gorgeous views, and wonderful grounds on which to take nice strolls or lounge at the pools. It's so pleasant to enjoy the harbor view while savoring delicious food and sipping wine from the extensive wine-by-the-glass menu. Comfortable beds; the patio area off the bedroom provides nice seclusion. ALL of the staff, from the moment of arrival to the time of departure, are very welcoming and helpful without being solicitous. I have stayed at the Dana many times while visiting my mom in assisted living. Though I've encountered much stress by day, the Dana always provides tranquility by night. HIGHLY recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The room was spacious and clean. The Firefly Restaurant served excellent cuisine and the waitress was very personable. I had trouble adjusting to the time change during my visit so I slpet badly, but it wasn't the room. The wi-fi was poor.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo