“A Charming Place”

Ranked #44 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Pittsboro, North Carolina
“A Charming Place”
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I was in San Diego for a work trip. The Dana is a little older, but has been kept up very well--I think the rooms and public areas must have been remodelled recently. It's a charming place, right by a marina on Mission Bay. The on site restaurant is not gourmet, but it's very good. The bar/grill (Firefly) was to my tastes better than the regular restaurant--had a great time there each night after work. There are nice walks along the water you can take right from the hotel. I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Clovis, CA.
Reviewed February 6, 2008

I booked our reservation online and had no problem finding the room we wanted. The website was great and easy to use. Once we got there it was like being in Hawaii. The views are wonderful and they do a great job on the landscaping. We had great service checking in and everyone was able to answer our questions and help us with directions. We look forward to staying there again on our next trip to San Diego.

Stayed August 2007
orange county, ca
Reviewed February 6, 2008

When I travel to San Diego, I always book with the Dana. The staff is very professional, and the rooms are very clean. Each time I book, I ask for a room with a view of the bay (They have many that face the bay). It is georgeous! The pool is heavenly for relaxing at the end of a busy day. I have never been disappointed with my stay.

Stayed April 2007
Northern California
Reviewed February 6, 2008

The Dana is a beautiful hotel with wonderful accomodations. The staff was courteous and helpful. The room was wonderful and we enjoyed our stay. We will definitely book The Dana again when we are in San Diego.

Stayed December 2007
Orange, CA
Reviewed February 6, 2008

My wife and I are frequently in San Diego visiting our kids who live there. We stay at The Dana everytime we go, which is probably seven or eight times a year. The hotel is located in a perfect spot on Mission Bay. The rooms have balconies that overlook the water. The staff is always helpful and friendly. It is a very relaxing place for us. They even have a marina that we have rented boats at to go play on the water. We have been going to San Diego for 30 years and once we found The Dana we haven't stayed anywhere else.

• Liked — Room and Location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed February 6, 2008

My wife and I very much enjoyed The Dana. Our room was spacious and confortable not to mention the amazing view of San Diego Bay. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and courteous. Everyone there made it a point to make our stay wonderful. We dined at both of The Dana's restaurants. The Blue Pearl has a great breakfast and we really enjoyed everything we ate (and drank) at the Firefly! All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to get away for a few days and enjoy a amazing experience!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 22, 2008

My friend was visiting from Iowa, and unfortunately. We stayed there from 24-27 September 2007 and were very, very dissatisfied. The room was very small and dark. There was construction, sawing and hammering nearby. Paint was peeling from the ceiling, and the bedspread was torn. When we washed at the sink, the air conditioner blew cold air on our legs and had to be turned off. The room was so small that one had to climb over the bed if another person was putting clothes in the closet to get past them. The TV channel selector listed a PBS station (we wanted to watch the award winning series, "The War" by Ken Burns), but that station was apparently not carried on the Hotel's satellite system. There was no follow up by the hotel's engineer, although he had promised to get back to us. The attitude in the office was aloof and unresponsive. The Hotel's General Manager at first refused to meet with me, but later got back to me by phone. He completely declined to meet with me in person, even though I wished to do that and offered to make time available for such a meeting. The manager did upgrade our room to the newer section, but gave us a room overlooking a public bathroom in Mission Bay Park. There was no bottled water provided, as I was accustomed to receiving at even budget lodging, the vending machines would not accept dollar bills, the front desk apparently did not have the ability to make change, and after we switched rooms, nobody inquired about our satisfaction. The hotel is located in a public park, Mission Bay Park, which the homeless use for shelter, and there apparently was no on site hotel security. We didn't encounter any security personnel during our long trek over the entire property one night searching for a bottled water vending machine. The grounds and walk ways are very poorly lighted. Finally, unlike the nearby Bahia and Catamaran Hotels, which offer a Manager's Reception to guests once a week with complimentary wine, cheese and fruit platters, this property does not offer such a reception. I asked the Manager to get back to me and to refund a portion of our room rate of $160/night, but he never followed up. I would urge anyone contemplating booking at this property to avoid it. It is a poor value, has unacceptable and nonexistent customer service, and is not comparable or competitive with other nearby properties.

• Liked — Close to Mission Bay
  • Disliked — Aloof and indifferent management with no concerns for guest satisfaction
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple