“Not bad for the price”

Holiday Inn Express Sea World
Ranked #158 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was so close to everything we wanted to visit. We were playing tour guide to a friend of ours from Germany who had never been to San Diego. We were very close to Seaport Village, Old Town, the beach and then when we checked out, we just drove up Mission Bay Drive and headed towards La Jolla.
Hotel room was nice and clean. The only bad thing I would have to say is the view out the window has a lot to be desired. UGH!! But I wasn't there to look out the window. Breakfast was not bad. Enough to satisfy your stomach and save from going out to eat for breakfast which can be pretty expensive. Staff was very friendly!

Room Tip: If you are a Priority member, you'll be put on the third floor which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Sea World

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Luz was the person I spoke with most of the time throughout my stay and she was a pleasure! She was funny, informative and had a very positive attitude. The rest of the staff was sociable and kind. If you have to sleep during the day request a room on the opposite end of the doggy day care across the street because you hear a bit of barking when you don't have the tv on, but I didn't mind it one bit! LOVE!!! Would 100% recommend and return.
The bus stops across the street were also very convenient. (15 minutes to Ocean Beach!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Laura H
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed for a week. Cannot complain about anything here. Rooms were clean, breakfast included (can't go wrong with bagels!!!) In a great location, close to all restaraunts in the area (especially Phill's BBQ!!!) and not too far from Sea World. Friendly staff, reliable WiFi and decent hidden parking. Pretty good deal since we were travelling on a budget all the way from Australia.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dusty D
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express exclusively because it was close to Seaworld and In-N-Burger. The staff was quite friendly even when we checked late and were tired and short. The room was nice, clean and the beds were comfortable. This hotel is tucked away and would be difficult to find without GPS. Internet, breakfast and parking were free. My only gripe is the parking garage. It is waaaayyy too small and is located under the hotel. Because it is under the hotel there are pillars to support the hotel that seem to crowd every 2nd or 3rd parking space. The spaces are small as well so if you arrive late then is no room to park because all the good spaces are occupied and the empty ones are way to difficulty to navigate due to the pillars. The garage was 50% full and still no way to park. Don't even think about parking your Cadillac or full size pickup here unless you park early and take up 2 spaces. Overall a good hotel with nice amenities but bring your Fiat or SmartCar!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Nice Staff, clean rooms, large well lighted bathroom.
The only problem was the parking. The parking spaces are small (not too small) but many guests don't bother to park in the lines and end up taking 2 spaces. Very frustrating when you pull in, there is no parking because 10 spots are lost to inconsiderate guests.
The staff should better control the parking (there is outside security), each car has a parking permit, the guests should be contacted to park correctly.

Room Tip: If you can get a room away from the freeway, do it. The freeway side rooms are not too loud but you...
3  Thank Matt T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Matt T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the inconvenience the parking may have caused you. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed there on a trip with two grandkids for 4 nights. Got a 2 beds with a pull out. Rooms were clean and the bedding was to die for! Luxury sheets and linens made for a good night's sleep. They managed to change breakfast a little each morning so that it wasn't the same and boring. they also kept the eating area very clean. Location was great to go to Sea World, Zoo etc, watched fireworks each night from our hotel room. Had a pharmacy across the street as well as markets in the area. Draw back was this hotel was tucked back and not easily found. I wouldn't advise walking after dark in the area, but I felt safe at the hotel. Surprisingly, the restaurants in the area were lacking in service and quality. We went to the supermarket for our evening meal and brought them back to the hotel. The pool was a disappointment because of the hotel's location itself. Staff was very nice and helpful. I definitely stay there again. A word of advise, the streets are tricky and somewhat trying when you are going out for any reason. No light at intersection and having to go two blocks down to make a u turn.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I, as usual, started making July4th long weekend road trip from San Jose to San Diego as last minute as I can get which is on Tuesday for a start of Wednesday. As expected most of all was either sold out or super expensive. I'm apriority club and marriott member so I usually look there first and then go to kayak/hotels.com and elsewhere to check what is the best around the area.
HI-X was right there with other hotels. What sold me with this was that there was no extra out of pocket. Everything was included in room rate so you knew what you were paying upfront.

Looked at lots of reviews on Trip Advisor and found out that most of the hotels in the area don't have complimentary breakfast and charges for parking anywhere form $10 pernight to $25, and don't get me started on the charges for internet/wifi. So I was cautious when I saw a room rate too good to be true, there was always a hidden fees somewhere which can be over $50 per day over the room rates. There was none of that for HI-X. That itself gets 5* from me.

We found this hotel to be clean (didn't see any spots or weird smell) as I read in some other reviews that made me have think before booking this place twice.

It was total sold out place by the time we got there, so the parking was tight but the staff was helpful in finding you a spot. Same goes for breakfast area. small, but clean but got crazy around 9am. Here is a tip ( go before 8am and get fresh and steaming breakfast with no lines)

It's very close to Sea World, our first stop on this trip then it was and not that far from SD Zoo (10 minutes drive). There are lots of eateries nearby for lunch/dinner and grocery store walking distance (just in case).

My grievance from the place is that the area around is kind of shabby. Don't feel comfortable walking around by yourself in evening kind of place. We just were there crashing in the night so that wasn't a deal breaker for us. Didn't use the pool so can't say about it but the location of pool was weird, you need to go out through parking lot to get there.

Room was clean, beds were comfortable, and shower had enough hot water and good pressure, My 3 basic needs from an inn plus free breakfast and free parking.

2  Thank goldy_travels