“Bargain in disguise, tucked away”

Holiday Inn Express Sea World
Ranked #166 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed there on a trip with two grandkids for 4 nights. Got a 2 beds with a pull out. Rooms were clean and the bedding was to die for! Luxury sheets and linens made for a good night's sleep. They managed to change breakfast a little each morning so that it wasn't the same and boring. they also kept the eating area very clean. Location was great to go to Sea World, Zoo etc, watched fireworks each night from our hotel room. Had a pharmacy across the street as well as markets in the area. Draw back was this hotel was tucked back and not easily found. I wouldn't advise walking after dark in the area, but I felt safe at the hotel. Surprisingly, the restaurants in the area were lacking in service and quality. We went to the supermarket for our evening meal and brought them back to the hotel. The pool was a disappointment because of the hotel's location itself. Staff was very nice and helpful. I definitely stay there again. A word of advise, the streets are tricky and somewhat trying when you are going out for any reason. No light at intersection and having to go two blocks down to make a u turn.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I, as usual, started making July4th long weekend road trip from San Jose to San Diego as last minute as I can get which is on Tuesday for a start of Wednesday. As expected most of all was either sold out or super expensive. I'm apriority club and marriott member so I usually look there first and then go to kayak/hotels.com and elsewhere to check what is the best around the area.
HI-X was right there with other hotels. What sold me with this was that there was no extra out of pocket. Everything was included in room rate so you knew what you were paying upfront.

Looked at lots of reviews on Trip Advisor and found out that most of the hotels in the area don't have complimentary breakfast and charges for parking anywhere form $10 pernight to $25, and don't get me started on the charges for internet/wifi. So I was cautious when I saw a room rate too good to be true, there was always a hidden fees somewhere which can be over $50 per day over the room rates. There was none of that for HI-X. That itself gets 5* from me.

We found this hotel to be clean (didn't see any spots or weird smell) as I read in some other reviews that made me have think before booking this place twice.

It was total sold out place by the time we got there, so the parking was tight but the staff was helpful in finding you a spot. Same goes for breakfast area. small, but clean but got crazy around 9am. Here is a tip ( go before 8am and get fresh and steaming breakfast with no lines)

It's very close to Sea World, our first stop on this trip then it was and not that far from SD Zoo (10 minutes drive). There are lots of eateries nearby for lunch/dinner and grocery store walking distance (just in case).

My grievance from the place is that the area around is kind of shabby. Don't feel comfortable walking around by yourself in evening kind of place. We just were there crashing in the night so that wasn't a deal breaker for us. Didn't use the pool so can't say about it but the location of pool was weird, you need to go out through parking lot to get there.

Room was clean, beds were comfortable, and shower had enough hot water and good pressure, My 3 basic needs from an inn plus free breakfast and free parking.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank goldy_travels
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is a short drive from Sea World San Diego. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance, an outdoor pool, and a very friendly and helpful staff (they even helped me sort out a problem with my iPad!)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Close to Seaworld and built in the style of all budget hotels, however the rooms are clean and pleasant even if you get a view of the highway what did you expect ?
What makes the place special are the staff, friendly, welcoming and polite. They offered cookies, coffee and local advise on arrival and greeted me like an old friend.
These guys take a standard package Nd make it a pleasure to stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at HIE Sea World, as my daughter went to a sleepover at Sea World. The room was nice, but a little dark for our liking, the room was clean, the staff was friendly and the breakfast was better than the cold stuff most motels offer. We had a view of a billboard next to 1-8 and being on the second floor there was a walkway outside of our window, which we didn't want to leave open to enjoy the evening air as we slept. The drapes only hung along the window, so we couldn't block the morning sun. Luckily, we had a safety pin to close it partially. I'm not sure if this is standard, but the entrance door was cut a little smaller which had small gaps that allowed the noise from other guest to be heard in our room. If possible bring a small car, because the parking was tight and barely could fit our Honda Accord into the stall without risking a dent.
For the price we paid and the minor problems we dealt with. We definitely would stay there again if we visit San Diego.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The rooms are nice and spacious and i could get a microwave on request. The Hotel staff is very friendly. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was decent but got filled up very quickly and there were not enough tables to sit. Its very close to Sea world.

The only issue though is that i saw a lot of homeless folks wandering around the hotel. Which made me feel a little unsafe as a tourist in the evening.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I enjoyed my six-day stay here, but decided to give it three stars instead of four because it's not well equipped to handle high occupancy. A few examples: on crowded days, the breakfast area is overflowing in the morning, especially with large families gathered around the tables. The covered parking garage has narrow parking spaces and lots of concrete posts, making it hard to get in and out, especially when the spots around you are occupied. Also, the elevator is painfully slow. But, if you eliminate the crowds, you eliminate most of my complaints.

On the plus side, the staff at the front desk was great, especially Deenesh (or "D"). Also, if you can get a rate near $100/night, then it's a pretty good deal considering everything that's included: wi-fi, breakfast, parking, mini-fridge, cookies in the afternoon, etc. (There's a small fitness room and pool, but I didn't use either.) The room was spacious and clean.

The location gives you easy access to Sea World, Old Town and I-8. But getting to the hotel is another story because you can't make a left turn from Sports Arena Blvd., or even a u-turn at the next light, so you'll have to turn left at the light, left on Hancock, and then work your way back. The alternative, if you're coming from I-8, is to get off at Rosecrans and turn right on Sports Arena Blvd. If you're approaching on Midway, try to get over to Sports Arena Blvd. before the two streets meet. Otherwise, good luck with that quick lane change.

The neighborhood is a little dicey and not the best place to be walking around at night. There are a few good restaurants nearby, though, like Phil's Bar-b-q.

I had a 3rd-floor room facing I-8 and although I could hear the highway traffic, the noise didn't really bother me. The view wasn't pretty, but it could have been worse.

Two little quirks: the bathroom door swings out into the room and does not stay open. I've never seen that before in a hotel. Also, the cleaning staff used some kind of "powder-fresh" deodorizer in the room that was pretty overwhelming at first.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MexiLocos
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear MexiLocos,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B