“Nice staff but parking is not too good”

Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld
Ranked #221 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Austin, Texas
“Nice staff but parking is not too good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We got a great deal through Expedia and for what we paid, it was fine. The front desk guys were great. They told us about things to do in the area, the best beaches, the shuttle to the Marine's boot camp graduation, etc. They were very helpful. The parking spaces are not very wide. We rented a full size car and several times I would have to get out of the passenger seat before my husband pulled into a parking space. Otherwise, both of us would not have been able to get out of the car. We had a junior suite. It was a nice room but the bedroom was too small for a queen size bed. If you opened the bathroom door, you could not pass between it and the foot of the bed - there was only about 6" of space. Housekeeping cleaned our room every day (we were there for three nights) and did a good job. There is a 24 hour resturant next door. We had dinner about 10:30 the first night we were in San Diego and we were the only people in the place. We ordered hamburgers cooked well done. I picked mine up and before I took my first bite, blood was dripping from the bun. Ruined my appetite!! We felt the prices were very high for average type food. We ate there only once due to the undercooked meat (which we did send back) and the prices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
DIAMOND BAR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I couldn't hold the wifi signal for more than six minutes timed! It would time out and I'd have to sign in all over again! There were less than 20 cable channels and the rest was static and the word "restricted, that was disappointing too. But there was a Vons and a target and McDonalds literally across or down the street which was a plus, also Seaworld was five minutes away, the pool was great and the service overall friendly.

HENDERSON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

The rooms were comfortable and clean. It was quiet and pleasant. I did not think of it as a hotel that one would spend over 100.00 per night. It is more like a motel, but that is how the building is. The lobby was very nice and the personnel was great.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I booked Wyndham Garden through Bookit so I couldn't complain about the price (Mystery hotel). I needed 2 rooms/2 queen beds. We were there for 2 nights. Checkin was pleasant. The lobby is nicely decorated and there is a computer area with snacks (chips). Not sure if there was a charge since I brought my iPad. Free wifi too. Also I think they chips were free - I took one and no one said a word. There is also coffee but I didn't see any cups. I asked for adjoining rooms but it was based on availability and they didn't have it so our rooms were far apart on the same floor. I didn't care for this set up since we were traveling with 3 young kids, our nanny, and my mother in law.

They offered me the family suite (one king bed, separated by a glass french style door, and a bunk bed with trundle) The room was one the small side and glass door open didn't slide open, it opened like a door so it would hit our bed. Very awkward. My nanny had the 2 queen bed down the hall. She said it was fine for her but the AC was loud. Both rooms had a coffee maker (huge plus for me), a fridge and a microwave.

This hotel has a great location. Seaworld is 5-10 min away, close to Target, and lots of dining options and chain restaurants (this is important when you have kids!) There is Phil's BBQ across the street but we didn't go.

Another plus is the free parking! Can't beat it. Most hotels charge $25-$30 per day for parking.
For the time spent in the room (hardly) this hotel worked out fine. The hotel rooms are spread out so there is a slight walk from the lobby to rooms. We used the laundry (big plus when you have young kids that have blow outs in their diapers). We also went to Dupars next door for breakfast. Okay spot for breakfast since we didn't want to travel too far with screaming kids in the morning.

Some people complained of the sketchy area. We didn't have a problem at all. Then again my husband grew up in Richmond, CA and my nanny is from South Africa (and she has seen her share of poverty). There is a Home Depot across the street with day laborers but if you leave early in the day to go exploring than it isn't a problem. We felt completely safe. There is a also a security guard that walks around at night.

PLACENTIA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Nice play to stay if you are just staying the night after a long day at Sea World. It's close to Sea World and close to several restaurants. Rooms are a little small. The bathroom sink was located in the bedroom; right next to the bed. And the bathroom door barely opened all the way out because it was so close to the bed. Bed was comfortable. And the complimentary breakfast next door at Du-par's Restaurant & Bakery was delicious! Great food and service!

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We arrived here on 19th September 2012 for two nights. This hotel is being remodelled and is beginning to look good. The reception area has been done first and looks fantastic ( perhaps the scented air and ac could be toned down a wee bit). It has a beautiful bright and relaxed atmosphere. It also has plenty of areas to sit in quiet comfort to catch up on e-mails and business. We were given room 115 at first. When we got to the room, I was appalled as it was so dark. It really should be turned into a store room or somethng. Unless you are a permanent night shift worker, don't accept this room. I went back to Reception to ask if they would change us to another room. They did this without any bother and we got a room on the 3rd floor which was loads better. This is an 80's style outside corridor hotel and is large. However, we had a good stay. The room was very comfortable and clean. It was a wee bit strange as the bedroom part is through a sliding glass door which has muslin style curtains up. There is a living space with a sofa which can be converted in to a bed. It has two tv's, microwave and fridge and all in all was comfortable.
I was lucky enough to meet Barbara who is a really lovely lady. She told me that they had taken the hotel over and were in the process of upgrading it. I wish her every success. This is an easy place to find if you are driving and leaving the I-5 and is only minutes away. There is a Vons behind the hotel where you can get most things including fresh Starbucks coffee and a fast food part which will make up a bacon sandwich etc.

Room Tip: Don't accept 115 as it's very dark and gloomy and needs the lights on in daylight. Beware th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TRACY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff was friendly, but the room was dated, dark, and had a general since of not being clean or well maintained. The light fixture in the bathroom was hanging down, the carpet had a serious stain near the couch, the bathroom smelled like urine, and the A/C worked only in the outer room. In order to cool the bedroom, one had to run an exhaust fan in the wall to suck in the cool air. Add to that, the area around the hotel had an unsavory feel to it. We purchased this deal off of Groupon and felt like we had been deceived based on the pictures vs. the actual experience. I will also be writing to Groupon about the overall experience in the hotel. Not what I expected of a Wyndham, and I will think twice before staying at one in the future.

1 Thank MICHAEL M