“Great for location and price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld

and 1 more site!
Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld
Ranked #222 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Great for location and price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

I was a little hesitant of staying here because of the reviews but I am so glad I did not cancel. Check in was so easy and the room was spacious and very clean. The room was recently remodeled so I really enjoyed that. King bed which was very comfy 2 TVs separate area with tv sofa and coffee maker and fridge and microwave. The cooler worked great. For the other reviews I would say they were expecting too much and should've payed more for their high expectations.
Overall I was really pleased and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Julie7171

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Rowland Heights, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I booked this hotel from a deal via Groupon weeks in advance, because my friend and I were going to an event located across the street. Super convenient! Not. When I called the day of to ask for late check in since we were behind on schedule, I was told that there was no reservation found. Nothing under my name, my friends name, even under the confirmation number we were given. Ended up paying $125 [without taxes] for a hotel room at the Double Tree Inn in Downtown San Diego [not walking distance from the Sports Arena (obviously)] instead of the $85 i had paid for the Groupon. Also, instead of a junior suite and free breakfast, we stayed in a one bed hotel room and ate breakfast at Dennys. Called cooperate to complain the day after, they transfered my complaint back to the original hotel who was supposed to contact me within three days, waited four days, no response. Called cooperate back again, waited three days, no response. Finally they called me and told me that I DID have a hotel room, the reservation number WAS correct, they had just misspelled my friends name by one letter.

SERIOUSLY. Isn't it obvious that Sirivan and Siriban are EXTREMELY SIMILAR. Couldn't you tell it was our hotel room when I gave the reservation number?! No. Instead this hotel told us they had no rooms available and we were basically out of luck. Thanks.

Worst hotel customer service I've ever encountered.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank andrea595
Brenda G, General Manager at Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Hi Andrea, I’m so sorry to hear about this! I’d really like to have the opportunity to speak to you about this directly and come up with a resolution that addresses your experience. If you have a free moment, please call me directly. I hope to hear from you.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

I was organizing a business trip to San Diego and when I solicited bids from hotels the Wyndham came in at the lowest price. The hotel was near the airport and the places the group was visiting so it was convenient, they partner with Du-par's Restaurant and provided breakfast, the sales managed Edel was very helpful throughout the process. We had a couple issues but she was on it to resolve it and helped getting the group's boarding passes for their flight. Overall it was a great experience, if you're looking for economy and convenience this is the way to go.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi JS, thank you for the review! It’s wonderful to hear that your group was able to take advantage of our convenient location and restaurant. Thank you for using our sales team to resolve your issues, they really are great at what they do! Please come stay with us again soon!
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I travel for a living and I have stayed in many hotels in my days but I must say I have never felt as at home as I did with the Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld the whole facility was extremely clean and well taken care of. Best of all, the staff was great. You can tell the management team and staff are focused on treating their guests as they treat their families. They have the best customer service I’ve ever experienced in my 44 years … I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: All you need to do is just contact Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld, let the staff know when y...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Michelle D
Hi Michelle,

Thank you so much for your delightful feedback! Our staff is the heartbeat of our operation and with reviews like yours, it certainly warms the heart. Please do consider us family and come see us again, we would be honored to have you return. I, for one, would love to meet and thank you personally! :)
Saratoga, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This place is terrible, and is poorly managed. They have a bad relationship with their "free breakfast" partner cafe on site, a historical restaurant called DuPar's. Here's what went wrong during our stay with 2 kids and a small dog. I have a one word recommendation for anyone traveling with a family: DON'T. For others interested in a casual hotel stay and plan to spend most of the time outside, the hotel is in a central location with lots of amenities and attractions nearby. But the neighborhood is dumpy, at best.
1. Upon arrival, I was given 2 breakfast vouchers. I reminded them we're a family of FOUR, and they knew that, because I'd booked a kids' suite. They tried to charge me $7/each kid's voucher. When I complained, a kind lady stepped in and ordered the clerk to give them to me anyway. Also, I was promised bunk beds for the kids, but got a pull-out style bed instead. Not a big deal, as my kids are old enough to manage a pull-out bed themselves. I just don't like the switch-and-bait attitude.
2. A security guard got into an argument with a man that was supposedly smoking pot outside our building, bldg A. He got onto a walkie-talkie and complained to someone about him, probably the police. This was when I was walking right by with my kids. I didn't feel safe there after that.
3. There were TOO FEW garbage cans around the complex. The one behind bldg. A, that faces the Vons, was ALWAYS full and overflowing. The grass strip there was full of dog poop. There were no dog poop bags available, even though the hotel allows dogs.
4. DuPar's is clearly not happy with the voucher arrangement with Wyndhams. The free breakfast is very restricted, and they allow NO substitutions (unless you make friends with the staff at DuPar's first). They tried to nickle-and-dime us for every little thing we ordered "off the menu", like pancakes. Even when our kids weren't hungry and are small eaters and didn't want to order the free breakfast, which is too much food for them, and when we had free vouchers.
4.5: The GOOD thing about the breakfast arrangement is that you can get it anytime, so long as the place is open: 6am to 10pm or so.
5. I asked for a wine bottle opener at the front desk. They couldn't find one and asked me to ask at DuPar's. They refused to open it, saying they'd "already given a bottle opener to the Wyndham front desk"! I couldn't believe I was dealing with adults at this point. I had to purchase a wine opener from the gift shop that night.
6. DuPar's refused to give us coffee "to go", even though I had vouchers.
7. Tiny parking spots. We had a Honda Pilot and it was a struggle.
8. Internet access was free, easy and worked fine.
9. Air conditioning worked, but it was very loud.
10. My kids said the pool was cold, even though it is supposed to be outdoor/heated. Granted, we were there when it was always overcast and foggy.
I will NEVER stay with Wyndham again. It is clearly a very badly managed hotel company.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the busy Sports Arena Blvd. If booking a kids' suite, MAKE SURE it has a...
6 Thank shamique
Hi Shamique, thank you very much for the detailed feedback. Your frustrations have certainly not gone unheard; many of which, in fact, we will address swiftly. If I may, please allow me to respond to the points you mentioned. Our breakfast package is designed to include 2 free breakfast coupons to the restaurant. We realize that we have varying amounts of guests staying in the rooms, so we offer additional vouchers for purchase at the front desk. We priced those vouchers to maintain the same value found within the package but we will certainly make sure that there is a broader awareness of how this is organized, so thank you. Also, upgrading to ear-piece based radio equipment is on the chopping block, thank you for the review, you have certainly sharpened the knife!

Lastly, I really appreciate all your feedback regarding the restaurant. Dupars is a wonderful restaurant for families and we will work with them to make sure that they embrace our guests as such.

Thank you again.
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Not what I expected from a Wyndham....Parking is very tight & you might have to walk a good distance from a parking space to your room. Third floor rooms are very warm even in comfortable to chilly outdoor weather! The wall unit air conditioner did nothing but make noise, as did the wall fan in the master suite!! The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in...after 2 of my 6 night stay my lower back hurt. Especially unexpected was a hidden danger from the king bed!! There was a narrow walkway on between the wall and bed. Two ragged, sharp steel support bars jutted from under the bed 3 inches past the pedestal and mattress! The bed skirt hid these bars and I unexpectedly slammed my shin into one of them....Left a painful puncture & gash on my shin! I walked with a limp for several days after this incident. DANGEROUS FOR BOTH CHILDREN AND ADULTS. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this place. Much nicer rooms can be found in nicer areas near the beach and SeaWorld for comparable rates. No complementary coffee in lobby, $3 coffee sold in restaurant , SLOWEST WiFi I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!, Hot rooms, unfriendly staff. Notice as you read the reviews that the Manager responds only to favorable reviews....that has to tell you something!!! STAY AWAY

Room Tip: 3rd Floor rooms are very warm even in comfortable weather. Internet connection very slow, both prin...
4 Thank FW507
Brenda G, General Manager at Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Guest,
I do apologize if you were not clear on the breakfast package details. We are including two breakfast vouchers with a suite. Any additional vouchers are at the discounted rate of 7.00. It would be impossible to provide breakfast for every member of the family.
We have recently started phase 1 of our Internet upgrade and will continue to upgrade our BW and our Access points, as the property is spread out. I am surprised that you did not comment on our newly remodeled rooms. We feel they are superior to most standard hotel rooms. I would like to have the opportunity to change your mind about the Wyndham Garden San Diego. Please contact me for a return visit...
Brenda Graves
Boise, Idaho, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

For the price, the rooms are tiny. Our thermostat is broken, so we frequently have to reset the breaker to keep it going. They advertise laundry facilities, but provide no way for you to get quarters. You can get a dollar's worth from the gift shop, and three dollar's worth from the restaurant, and once you're done roaming the whole place for quarters, the detergent machine is empty, wasting the quarters, and you don't have enough to get any laundry done anyway. We won't be coming back here.

2 Thank Nick J
Dear Guest,
I am not sure which room you stayed in, as our rooms are some of the most spacious in San Diego. As far as the laundry, we have a very nice laundry facility; however, like anything else, must be stocked more often, during high occupancy. I will make sure my front desk agents have change to accommodate requests for laundry.
Brenda Graves