“A Delightful Surprise”

Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld
Ranked #224 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My wife and I were looking for a centrally located hotel to the beach and attractions when we came across this hotel. Althought the reviews made us very cautious, to say the least, it met with all we were looking for along with the added bonus of newly renovated rooms. The staff was very friendly and knowlegable and assisted us when we requested which was quit often. Regardless of some of the reviews we enjoyed our stay and when visiting San Diego we will be stay at this hotel. Great staff, very nice rooms and clean gounds.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,313)

Reviewed July 16, 2011

the room was ok but after finding a roach in my bathroom just ruined it. the elevator didn't work so i had to carry my stuff to the 3rd floor and there were a lot of people working but they couldn't fix it?

there's also a restaurant at the hotel but i had to pay over $3 for a take out coffee...ridiculous.

for the price i can understand it not being an exceptional stay but definitely could've done without the roach in my room!!!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My first experience was when I first called the hotel to make a reservation. The hotel representative transfered me to another line which went straight to voicemail which I thought was odd so I hung up. I called the reservation line and made a reservation with the reservation representative. I asked her about a deposit or an authorization on my credit card and she informed me that only $50.00 was going to be held as an authorization for my stay. I checked into the hotel and the staff seemed very friendly. The housekeeper who cleaned my room everyday was very nice and always gave me clean towels. It turned bad when I had checked out and drove back home to Los Angeles only to find THREE different credit card charges on my credit card statement. I called the hotel to ask why my card got charged three times for different amounts and the hotel representative said one charge was for the room and the other two charges were authorization/deposit charge. When I told the hotel rep. that I was informed that only $50.00 was going to be authorized she said that I received the wrong information and that the authorization charges would clear within a couple of days. I freaked out because of all the charges they made on my credit card without my knowledge made my bank account NEGATIVE. I couldn't believe that the representative for the reservation line gave me the wrong information. When I received the hotel survey (via email) I complained about the situation and all I received from the general manager was sorry for the inconvenience. I would only stay here again if I received in writing from the hotel that my credit card would only be charged for a specific amount otherwise I would stay somewhere else

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Our visit to Sandiego was at the tail end of a long trip to California. We stayed two nights and we were just planning to go to Seaworld and then stay at hotel and relax and go to the pool after long vacation. I specifically picked the junior suite with two double beds, it has a separate living room area with two tvs. We checked in after Sea World, I had called the hotel earlier that day and confirmed my reservation and room type. When I got there I was in line at the front desk behind a long line of people already unhappy with their rooms. After waiting for a considerable amount of time I was advised they were overbooked, they did not have my room. They gave me a kids suite with a king bed and bunk beds. My kids 19, 19 and 11. So this was not great. Once out of the lobby we soon realized there was some type of motorcycle get together going on. So there was much partying going on, outside the rooms and by the pool area so the kids could not go. In addition to that there were kids running around all over the place and knocking on the doors. The room was one room with the bunk beds and king bed separated by a small partition. The room was ok, but worn. Bathtub was stopped up. High speed internet did not work and tv only had about six channels that came in. If you travel down the street looking for a restaurant the area has lots of strip clubs. The only plus was that it is close to sea world and the airport. I complained to the manager the next day and did get a significant discount on my stay. Won't stay there again.

1  Thank ksm3672
Reviewed July 12, 2011

BEDBUGS! Beware. This hotel is infested with bedbugs. We stayed there Jun 26-Jul 1 in room 216. We found a bug on Wed and they offered to switch rooms, but being naieve about the little critters, we stayed in the room one more night. But after some research we switched rooms to room 223, and spent the entire next day washing our clothing (at the hotels expense). After notifying them about the problem they should have had a step by step action plan on how to handle the situation, but they don't. The hotel manager just looked at us and shrugged, not really knowing what to do. We have since found them in our vehicle we drove home in, they must have been in the room we moved to, so clearly they hitched a ride. We have taken precautions so as not to get them in our home, but we will see... Needless to say the entire vacation was ruined by the ineptness of Wyndham Hotels on how to handle the situation.

That being said, the front desk staff were very helpful with what limited knowledge and resources they had available to them.

Brenda Graves, your response to bedbug survivor's post reveals your lack of knowledge on the subject. Unless you had a dog come in, it might be quite some time till you see evidence of an infestation. It doesn't matter if everything in the room in new. They hide in the baseboards, behind the headboard, cracks of the walls! I'm quite sure you didn't rip out the drywall...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank jlintuc
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed at the Wyndham Garden San Diego from July 1 departing on July 8. The staff were mostly very helpful. We had a Jr King Suite.

The pros- great location, close to airport, downtown, the beaches, Sea World, freeways,etc. The bed was comfortable. Excellent water pressure in shower. Construction is over. Lots of counter space for personal care products.

The cons- Room was pretty small for a suite. Sink is not in the bathroom but in the bedroom. AC is in the front room only, not in BR. Had to go to housekeeping several times to get our towels. Guest computers and printers worked sporadically. Upstairs guests had small kids making noise.

Would I stay here again?...I'd probably like to try somewhere else. Not a knock on the place but I'd like to find something a little bit nicer perhaps.

Room Tip: Jr King Suite was disappointing. Very small. Not sure how they get the pictures on their website m...
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed over 4th of July weekend with my family. The kid suites are super nice, spacious and beautifully renovated. My children loved the bunkbeds! It was very busy during check-in but the staff was fast, effiicient, courteous and friendly. I would definitley be returning to this hotel in the near future. Thank you!!

1  Thank LINDAU0507