“best buy for your money”
Review of Pacific Shores Inn

Pacific Shores Inn
Ranked #183 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Our first time to Pacific Beach. The price was perfect for us. We wanted to stay at least 3 nights. our room had a patio set outside our front door and could see the ocean from our room. It was a short walk to the boardwalk of Pacific Beach loaded with rentals, wonderful stores for shopping and many choices for eating.

The beach was clean with a beautiful pier.

The parking at our room was free. We had continental breakfast every morning. Laundry room,
ice, swiming pool with a grill and showers to get the sand off from the beach.

The room was simple but clean, plenty of room. We loved it and the maids and the front desk staff were GREAT. Can't wait for our next trip.

Room Tip: Always reconfirm your reservations be for you leave.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Donna H
jimsilver, General Manager at Pacific Shores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

I hope that you will choose us again for your next trip to the beach. It always makes me feel really good when a guest comments about their experience with the staff and the housekeepers as well. We are striving to have the nicest housekeepers anywhere, as they have almost constant contact with you, the guests. Thank you again for taking your time to comment about your stay with us.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Arrived early. Young lady at check in desk was dismissive and was adamant room was "not ready." Young man worked the situation and checked us into a nice quiet end room. He saved the day, and deserves kudos, Jim. She is clueless.

Great location, room was fine, fair price for the season. We recommend.....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gc85014

I'm very sorry for the mixup upon check in. As a rule, I want every guest that wants to check in early the opportunity if we can make it work. I hope you will come and stay with us agin soon! Thank you.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Jim was most gracious in taking care of us. I lived for 10 years just the next block over on Dixie Dr. during the '90s and whenever my housemates and I had family visit us that we could not accommodate, Jim Silver and his staff at Pac Shores were always there to take care of us as if it were our second/extra home! We always remember that and even though all of us have moved away, we always make Pac Shores our first choice whenever any of us from the Old Dixie house are in town. Jim and his staff make it feel as though we never left!

In terms of this most recent stay, Jim & Karla were super nice to accommodate me on such short notice as it was a spur of the moment weekend surf getaway for me and my girlfriend. There were no hassles for checking in, parking, storing our boards in the room (we are longboarders) & even extending our check out by one hour since the water was so warm and we wanted to have a slightly longer surf session on our last day. All the amenities were in perfect working order and even though the hotel was rather full, it did not feel crowded or imposing. The rooms are quiet and comfortable and hearing the waves crash even with the windows closed made for a very restful night after hitting a few of the old local bars well within walking distance! Thanks Jim & Karla!

I recommend staying at Pac Shores to all my friends and even random people looking for a place to stay in PB -just like when we live there. Looking forward to my next stay and many after. In fact I may be planning a surf excursion for my friends from OC & Nor Cal in the near future and also a reunion event for all the denizens of the Dixie House...

Kenny Weisbart
Fontana, CA 92334-1400

909-829-4444 (office)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KennySurf

Awesome review!!! Thank you, as always, for staying with us. Karla, my staff, and I would really like to thank you for taking your time to write such nice comments about the property, and the service. We look forward to your next visit with us!!! And, it has always been a pleasure.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great location to explore from & right next to the beach. The rooms are simple & nothing flash but comfortable & clean. We certainly got lots of use out of the laundry!

I wouldn't have wanted to spend heaps of time in the room necessarily but we were out exploring most of the time so it worked well for us.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank deejayess
jimsilver, General Manager at Pacific Shores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

I guess that's ok, but we would be happier to hear that you had also enjoyed your room. Just to let you know, we do have renovation plans for the near future, and with that, every room will be very new and modern. As for the location, I'm not sure how much more perfect it could be. The property is located only a half a block from the beach, and walking distance from so many restaurants and shops. Thank you staying with us!!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Pacific Shores Inn from Sunday, August 5th through Saturday, August 11th in room 61. The rooms were huge, the staff was not very helpful (i.e. could not give directions to anywhere or give advice about food, save for one extremely nice girl a few days in), but the room was big, the ocean was right there. There were small things and details which made it hard with kids- for instance, the newly renovated showers without doors, while cool, are not built deep enough so when people take showers, the ENTIRE bathroom gets wet. Very hard with kids. The breakfast was free, yes, but 'continental' implies more than it is... it is coffee, hot water for tea, and danish (muffins, danish, and croissants). The people come with trays and buckets (since there are no plates to carry the stuff!) and FILL them, so by 8 a.m. the supply is empty and it was just a lot of sugar and not any substance. They don't have a lot of room, but a cereal turnstile or oatmeal with the hot water, or ANY improvement would help. Still, none of these things would illicit a poor review from me. What causes this reivew would be the dead bug we found on Thursday morning. It looked "cockroachy" but I figured it could be a fluke. Thursday night, I woke up and found them on the wall. No more fluke. Took a picture of the one I could get and sickly collected the dead bug from the trash and took it to the office. She was grossed out. She said we could move to another room when the poeple moved out at 11 but I said it was our last day in San Diego and I didn't want to spend the middle of it packing/moving. I said we might check out early but to have the manager call, which she assured would happen soon because he would be in ALL day. No call came, nighttime we came back, they didn't know what to do. We barely slept that night watching for the darn bugs. Saturday I went to check out early and asked what happened, she said he was gone for the weekend but would FOR SURE call monday and no one had made a note of it. I waited all day today to give the manager a chance to call, nothing. I have the pictures to upload and I hope this review disuades people from staying. Bugs are nasty, no matter what kind it was, and they came out only at night... I slept horribly, had to leave all our food behind just in case, and it made the trip icky. I expected more and I hope they rectify it at some point.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 61...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Shoshana N
jimsilver, General Manager at Pacific Shores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to make comments about your stay with us. We do take pride in not having bugs in our rooms, and had an exterminator there to check out the situation in your room the day you left us. He did assure us that this was not an infestation, and that this was an insect from outside. Wherever it came from, I am not too happy about it being in a guest room either. This is something extremely rare in our rooms, and if there ever is a situation, no matter what it is, we get it taken care of ASAP. I and the entire staff are sorry for the situation.

In regards to the shower, it is something that our designer wanted us to have to bring some modern look to the bathroom. Even though it is nice looking, I can understand the water, especially with children, as I have four of my own.

I will also see if we can specify the items we offer with the breakfast on the websites, so that there will no longer be any confusion. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were so pleasantly surprised by our stay, it is such an awesome little hotel. Because it's only rated as a 2 star hotel, (which is very misleading,) we weren't expecting much, I was just hoping for a clean place to sleep.
First, the front desk manager, Karla was super friendly and accomodating. She checked us in early with no problem. She was super busy between customers at the desk and the nonstop ringing phone, but never made me feel ignored. Also, my daughter came into the lobby after a 3 hour drive from Arizona and really needed to use the bathroom. Karla was sweet enough to let my little girl use the employee bathroom, which saved an eight year old from any embarassment. Thank you Karla!
Second, our room already had the pack n play set up for our toddler. The hotel did not charge us for this, which is fantastic. Our room did smell faintly of bleach, which other reviewers had mentioned, but it only made us think that our room was clean. I would much prefer a faint bleach smell than a faint dirty smell, so not sure why that's an issue for others. Once you open the bathroom window and the front window, the breeze pulls out any smells.
Our room had two clean, comfy queen beds. The decor was nicely done, a flat screen tv (I do have to admit the picture was not the clearest), a fantastic and clean tile shower that my toddler absolutely loved and a large closet with a mini fridge and microwave. Just to put this into perspective, Hilton's charge $20 a day for a microwave and here it is included. If you have kids, this space is the best. Our two girls played in there because it was small enough to become their secret hide out. We had parking directly outside of our room.
Our upstairs neighbor had an older child that was constantly running back and forth across the room at night, so we called the front desk to ask them to call to their room and let them know their kid was being disruptive, not the hotel's fault, but they did take care of it. Also, we were able to get a late check out so our girls could have one more rendezvous with the water. Ask for this early because only one room per block of rooms can be given a late checkout.
Lastly, it took about two minutes to get to the beach! You can't ask for a better location. This hotel is the last one on Mission Blvd before it becomes residential, so it's much quieter than the others. We paid a fair price for a summer hotel, it was well worth the money and it's absolutely where we will be staying for anymore trips to San Diego!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank haani808
jimsilver, General Manager at Pacific Shores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

It sounds like you had a great time, and that's all we want. I'm glad to hear the item you requested was waiting for you upon arrival and that you didn't have to request it again. Karla, my GSM, has been at the property for about ten years, and I appreciate the nice things you said about her. And, I'll let her know about your review. Thank you again for taking the time for this and for staying with us.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We are here every year and we love it. So close to the ocean and not overprized. We will recommend this hotel for people who love the beach but dont want to pay 300 dollars a night . Also great pool and nice people.

Room Tip: Old rooms but for people who want location!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Casamona-Real-Estate

Well, we love having you!!! And I hope you will continue to return year-after-year! Thank you very much.