“Moderate Price = Moderate Hotel”
Review of Pacific Shores Inn

Pacific Shores Inn
Ranked #186 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 7, 2007

First, San Diego has mostly ma and pa hotel/motel, which may surprise you. All of the "chain" hotels, (Hilton, Sheraton Hyatt etc) are on the bay not on the ocean.

Now there are a lot of motels to choose from in San Diego (pacific, mission and imperial beaches), and I researched all of them. The photos on the web showed the motel to be a little out dated, but they all were. This motel offered more amenities that any other motel. They had a pool, offered free breakfast, was walking distance to the beach, and some of the rooms were renovated. (My second choice was the Beach Haven Inn)

We booked our reservations 9 months in advance, which it didn't matter upon check-in because we got whatever room was available.(our rate was $119 per night) The front desk was pleasant enough and the room was spacious for being an old beach motel. There had plenty of space for my 2 year to run around. The pool was great, because the wind on the beach was so bad it was nice to dip in the pool. Breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular but I didn't have to pay $10 for a coffee and donut from Starbucks...right?

Overall the motel was fine, with the limited choices in San Diego I would recommend this motel to anyone including families. Just remember it is not 5 star, and you get what you pay for....

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank hmlax

Reviewed September 22, 2007

I had the grave misfortune of staying in a non-renovated room. It smelled like B.O., the heater was not working well (this was in the middle of a cold spell) and was loud, and the cable wasn't working. It was basically either freezing cold, really loud or both and I couldn't turn on the TV to drown out the noise b/c nothing was on. I generally found that room to be just disgusting. When I checked another avail. room (also non-renovated), it actually smelled worse. I got comped for my first night's stay - Partially and not fully which I regret not demanding and which I also resent the manager or people who work there for not offering. The manager was elusive with me which I didn't appreciate, but he did talk to someone who worked there and said he would give me a discounted rate at the other property he managed - The Holiday Inn in La Jolla, which turned out to be worlds better. However, if someone had offered this the first night I arrived there, I would've been spared the grossness of staying there at all. I was too tired and busy to switch at the time. I had a great time in SD anyway, but I just hope this may be helpful to someone somehow. I had was extremely uncomfortable and just gross. IMO, they should pay YOU to stay in those rooms.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank gmx5050
Reviewed September 16, 2007

I originally booked a room with the Diamond head inn, their supposed sister hotel. When we arrived there on September 13th, they had no record of our reservation. I showed them the email that I had printed out with the confirmation number and the desk person said that it didn't help him at all. He then asked me if I called the hotel to confirm it, I said no isn't that the point of the hotel sending me the email with a confirmation number?So he said there was a sister property 2 blocks down and they had a room available and sent us down there. When we got the the Pacific shores inn, their sister property, they did not have any rooms available for us and sent us back to the Diamond head inn. The desk clerk told us that he could put us in a room at the Diamond head inn for one night and then they would figure it out in the morning. The next day they sent us to the Pacific shores inn, and this place was terrible. We needed a 2 room suite with a kicthen, they just gave us a room with 2 beds and a microwave and mini fridge. First of all the mini fridge was leaking and the carpet was soaked and had mold growing on it. The shower leaked into the closet and got some of my clothes wet. Then my husband awoke in a panic when he realized that a giant roach was crawling all over his head. This thing was huge! I never stayed in a roach infested motel before. This place is nasty and I would never reccommend it to anyone! I would have rather stayed in a motel 6.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2007

The Pacific Shores Inn is a great place to stay. It was inexpensive, by far the cheapest in the area, the staff was friendly and helpful and it was immaculately clean. It takes about 2 minutes to walk from the room to the ocean and a 5 minute walk to the Crystal Pier. The pool was freezing but the Pacific was colder. The bathroom in our room was cramped with not a lot of space to put your stuff. There was more than enough lighting and the beds were comfy with new pillows & mattresses. Ask for a renovated room, they are the ones with new beds. The surrounding area felt safe, we walked around at night and were not harassed or approached by anyone. Since most of the restaurants and things to do are in walking distance we didn't need the car at all! Pacific Shores Inn is my favorite place to stay in Pacific Beach!

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank kjh61
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I loved this hotel!! It has an amazing location (a block from Pacific Beach, dining and shopping)! The room itself is a very good size, huge closet, very clean. It also comes with a mini fridge and microwave making it easy to keep leftovers of all the great Mexican food in the area. The rooms also seemed quiet as the hotel appeared to be full and we never heard any disturbances. The pool is very nice, no hot tub though.
I would highly recomend this Hotel to anyone traveling on a budget who still wants to be in a great location and stay in a clean bed. I will definately be back!

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank HP33
Reviewed September 10, 2007

We stayed at this hotel in December 2006.

Pros:

- Good location (close to the Beach).
- Nice small Pool
- Clean Room
- Good Price

Cons:

- Some TV stations didn't work well
- Breakfast didn't look too good (we didn't touch it)

Overall i would stay here again in the future. It was a basic hotel, but still nice.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2007

This is an ideal location for sightseeing and the beach is beautiful right around the corner. The room was dated but very clean, the only downside was that we had a room with another room above us, not good. The clomping of feet went on and on and the voices could be heard even tho they weren't talking loud.
If I ever go back I would definitely ask for a room either on the second floor or one that doesn't have another floor.
Other than that we had a wonderful time here, watched the surfers constantly and the boardwalk next to the hotels was wonderful and Joe's Crabshack was a nice walk. Kono's for breakfast is a must even if its busy.
The hotel is only 8 miles from the airport and really close to Seaworld, Old Town, LaJolla 10 minutes up the road, and the signs to downtown San Diego are very easy especially to Gaslamp, Seaport Village, and the harbor cruises. We were here for 2 weeks from MA and really enjoyed the area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple